• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

AndyT

Lord of the Reedy River
This has been mentioned on the 'Deadpool' thread, but with Sir Teddy's connections with the club, I thought it appropriate to mention it here :-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-41350209

Many will know that Sir Teddy was a regular at home matches in the Directors Box and a huge fan of The Blues.

:sad:

Certainly worth a thread on his own although it was in unfourtunate circumstances I first met him about twenty years ago at his office in many ways i am glad i did. Have met him on numerous occasions in the years since at several places including Roots Hall and Waitrose and i am truly gutted that will never happen again. He was from humble roots in Glasgow but ultimatly he turned out to be a great MP for Southend and a true gent to boot. RIP

Last edited:
Pro capital punishment Tory, but helped start the Unite against Fascism campaign. Difficult to categorise for us lefties!

Pro capital punishment Tory, but helped start the Unite against Fascism campaign. Difficult to categorise for us lefties!

Except maybe to say that nobody is perfect, or perhaps 'right' in all of the beliefs they hold. What you can be though is true to yourself, well meaning, hard working and give more than you take from your community. He was each of those things IMO. As for the one or two deeply held beliefs he had which seemed to be diametrically opposed to mine.. well I would simply debate those with him, hope to convince him and be grateful that the culture of our country and his personality both fully tolerate that kind of debate.

Except maybe to say that nobody is perfect, or perhaps 'right' in all of the beliefs they hold. What you can be though is true to yourself, well meaning, hard working and give more than you take from your community. As for the one or two deeply held beliefs he had which seemed to be diametrically opposed to mine.. well I would simply debate those with him, hope to convince him and be grateful that the culture of our country and his personality both fully tolerate that kind of debate.

Very true mate.

Before I moved here I disliked him, Maqgies favourite Parachuted in to a safe seat at the expense of a local candidate , what was there to like...

When I moved to Southend I found a loyal constituency MP , who look to his local football club, supported Youth football in the area (President of Shoebury boys for years) and cared for the town.

He was going to go to Libya on the SUFC trip in 1998 as he was acquainted with Ghadaffi

My Ex used to look after his daughter at a nursery school in the old Tennis Club in Hamstel Road.

One day that sat all the little uns down and got them to say what their Daddy did, Teddy's daughter said that she didn't know but he sits about at home at lot

I met him in Thorpe Bay Broadway just prior to the EU vote and I cheekily asked him which way he would vote and he just laughed.

So weird - I was only thinking about him yesterday and was thinking how he must be really getting on. I went to school with his daughter for a while. I always liked him and thought he was a great constituent MP. Even though he wasn't from anywhere near here you knew he genuinely cared for his adopted home and the people (and football club) in it.

RIP Sir Teddy

I have never been the same political colour nor had similar views to Sir Teddy, but back in the day when Maggie was really ruling the roost, he went in to bat for Customs and Excise when she wanted to move the work out to Manchester. The fact that the Department remained in Southend in numbers was, in no small way, down to him. I also thought he did a really good job for Southend as a constituency MP. RIP Sir Teddy Taylor.

I met him several times in the late 1970s as he was a friend of my mate's parents (who were also Scots). I had coffee and home made shortbread with him and the friend's family a few times with out knowing he was the local MP : smashing unassuming man who took the time to talk well with teenagers. Liked him ever since. Last Tory I ever voted for.
RIP:sad:

I met him quite a few times in my job and he was the kindest man who cared really deeply about people in general and for his constituents. I said this recently to a couple of Labour suppoting friends who thought I was off my head. But you have to speak as you find. A superb constituency MP and a great man..

Back