• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

OldBlueLady

Junior Blues Coordinator⭐⭐
31 years ago today, remember it so clearly and thinking then, there but for the grace of God. The stand was so similar in many ways to our East Stand, which was where I used to watch Southend from back then. There was rubbish underneath in exactly the same way and people smoked back then, stubbing their ciggies out on the wooden floor. It could so easily have happened at any of hundreds of stadia, but unfortunately and tragically, it was Bradford's Valley Parade.

The changes to behaviour in grounds which arose from it were necessary and why so many of us STILL despise flares and smoke bombs, something which the younger supporters don't seem to understand at all.

I can't abide Parkinson, but still stand willingly shoulder to shoulder with Bradford supporters in their memories and tributes today.

bradford-city-stadium-fire.jpg

I clearly remember this tragic day, cannot believe it was 31 years ago. Sadly this is often forgotten due to the equally tragic events at Hillsborough...

RIP the Bradford 56

When I worked at the refinery, we had regular fire training. One presentation was about the Bradford fire. The reason the brigade took a relatively long time to get there was because...nobody called 999. No mobile phones then, of course. An off-duty fireman saw the incident on TV and called his local station and said they'd need back-up. The reply "for what?" . Seems everyone thought someone else had called 999.
Emergency exits had been locked... And fans were caged in. The rubbish under the stands contained newspapers dated some 30 years earlier. All in all it was a disaster just waiting to happen.
Who was guilty? Those that smoked? Locked the exits? Those responsible for the fences? The thing that surprised me about the presentation was that smoke is airborne unburnt fuel. The explosion was the smoke igniting.

RIP indeed. Not sure it's been overlooked at all - whenever we had fire training here, they showed the video and how quickly it spread. Hillsborough was an outrage for other reasons irrespective of the number of dead.

RIP indeed. Not sure it's been overlooked at all - whenever we had fire training here, they showed the video and how quickly it spread. Hillsborough was an outrage for other reasons irrespective of the number of dead.

When I did my fire training when I was an aviation fire fighter they showed the video too. That was the first time I saw it or knew about it, but I knew all about Hillsborough. I do think this is pushed to one side a little because of the court case with Hillsborough.

Both were huge tragedies and should be respected in the same way and get the same coverage. Wish they would put as much effort into paying respects to this disaster as Sky did to West Ham leaving their ****** ground!

RIP The Bradford 56.

Steve Thompson, manager of Southend, played that day.

In August 1985, after playing over 150 games for Lincoln, Thompson moved to Charlton Athletic. In his last game for Lincoln he was to witness a nightmare when 56 spectators were killed in a horrendous stand fire while playing Bradford City.

This is a good story from a cracking website

http://bradfordcityfire.co.uk/john-...eing-brave-it-was-just-a-natural-thing-to-do/

How can you possibly say that? I would love to have the stats on hours of bBBC coverage of Hillsborough compared to both the Bradford and the Heysal tragedies. All three were tragedies. It would just be appreciated if the bBBC in particular showed some balance. By the way the "b" before "BBC" stands for biased.

How can you possibly say that? I would love to have the stats on hours of bBBC coverage of Hillsborough compared to both the Bradford and the Heysal tragedies. All three were tragedies. It would just be appreciated if the bBBC in particular showed some balance. By the way the "b" before "BBC" stands for biased.

No it stands for the British Broadcasting Corporation.The best of its kind in the world.

Last edited:
No it stands for the British Broadcasting Company.The best of its kind in the world.
You can't be serious surely. Sorry, I forgot you are indoctrinated by left wing principles which most of us left behind at university.

What I'm saying is, there was no Government & Police cover up over the terrible incident as opposed to Hillsborough. There were no headlines the next morning in The S*n accusing Bradford fans of ****ing on the dead. Can you explain why you think the BBC are biased towards Hillsborough?

A pendant writes : It's the British Broadcasting Corporation, I think.

Also, I think Stuart W is referring to his small 'b' before BBC.

For the record, Hillsborough has remained more in the public eye, because of the campaign.

I agree that both Heysel & Bradford should have had a greater emphasis on the importance of those tragedies, especially as the latter has recently been opened up again by Martin Fletcher's book.

All three are tragedies that had a large number of factors contributing to the deaths and not one single reason, including stadium design and health & safety issues.

What I'm saying is, there was no Government & Police cover up over the terrible incident as opposed to Hillsborough. There were no headlines the next morning in The S*n accusing Bradford fans of ****ing on the dead. Can you explain why you think the BBC are biased towards Hillsborough?
Just run past me the Liverpool fans behaviour at Heysal?

Bradford had been warned several times about the fire risk, which they chose to ignore. That said all football clubs had the same attitude and at the time sports stadiums were not covered by any fire legislation, so the Fire Brigade had no power to enforce any basic precautions.

Survivors did later sue the football club. Like all disasters at the time,no one was ever really held accountable. Sadly around half the victims died at one chained and padlocked exit. They were all piled up against the gate.

The story that has never been told is that more than 50 people were saved by various Police officers and ordinary members of the public. Some of them received awards including the Queens Gallantry Medal. Highlighting once again the fabulously underrated traits of us British that surface so nobly during any disaster.

Last edited:
Just run past me the Liverpool fans behaviour at Heysal?

Please do not divert this thread it is supposed to be about the tragedy at Bradford. RIP

But for the record I was at Heysel (spelt correctly) so I know a great deal about what happen that day but that is not for this thread. Also going back to your earlier comment the reason Hillsborough received more coverage was due the huge delay in achieving justice compared to the other two tragedies.

Last edited:
Please do notdivert this thread it is supposed to be about the tragedy at Bradford. RIP

But for therecord I was at Heysel (spelt correctly) so I know a great deal about what happen that day but that is not for this thread. Also going back to your earlier comment the reason Hillsborough received more coverage was due the huge delay in achieving justice compared to the other two tragedies.

Justice being an interesting observation on Hillsborough but that's another thread.

I remember first reading about Bradford on a cross-channel Ferry back from Zebrugge. I too had fire training in which the video was shown. I can't think of anything more tragic on the football side in my lifetime. No crumb of comfort for the families but it brought about a meaningful change in ground regulations.

RIP indeed and thanks for the reminder OBL

Back