• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Rnd 2 Heat 1: NYPD Blue v The Sopranos

Cops or Robbers?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The Sopranos should trounce CSI - don't you find it to be merely entertaining drivel? Almost every episode of The Sopranos is like a great film - it will be a travesty if it fails to win this battle....

I was not ready for a 2nd round clash so soon, so to start with I shall repeat my earlier post:

NYPD Blue is an American television police drama set in New York City, exploring the internal and external struggles of the fictional 15th precinct of Manhattan. Each episode typically covers a day and intertwines several plots involving an ensemble cast.

The show was created by Steven Bochco and David Milch and inspired by Milch's relationship with Bill Clark, a former member of the New York City Police Department who eventually became one of the show's producers. Its episodes were broadcast on the ABC network from its debut on September 21, 1993 to March 1, 2005. It covered 12 seasons.

The main character is Det./Sgt. Andy Sipowicz, played by Dennis Franz. He and Det. Greg Medavoy, Gordon Clapp, were the only characters to appear in all 12 seasons.

Sipowicz suffers just about every emotion during his time at the 15th Precinct. He marries an Assistant District Attorney, Sylvia Costas, who is later murdered. His son is murdered. He is an alcoholic (who reforms). He underwent surgery for prostate cancer. His parents were Polish. He served in Vietnam. He is a racist (he believes is father was killed by a black citizen, but later finds out his father was actually a racist liar). He was shot six times in an ambush and almost died. He struggles to cope with the camp office secretary.

But generally he is a good man. He marries for a third time and becomes a father again.

Jason Gay, of The Boston Phoenix, described Sipowicz as a "drunken, racist goon with a heart of gold" who was "the moral core" of NYPD Blue.

More to follow.

Looks like I am up against it here. 2-7 down already.

So, NYPD Blue was not all about belligerent cops.

One for the female detectives was Det. Diane Russell (Kim Delaney):

I feel i don't need to "sell" The sopranos with propaganda etc.

Just the words "The Sopranos" is all the propaganda you need.

Tough one really, as NYPD Blue was must see when it was first televised here, however it suffered from shocking scheduling by C4. But for this tie The Sopranos gets my vote.

Back