• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Six Feet or Buffy?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jedi Shrimper

formerly Drastic™
Six Feet Under (Drastic Sturgeon)
v
Buffy the Vampire Slayer (bluesmanager)

six_feet_under-show.jpg

Six Feet Under is an American television drama series created and produced by Alan Ball. It premiered on the premium cable network HBO in the United States on June 3, 2001 and ended on August 21, 2005, spanning five seasons and 63 episodes. The show was produced by Actual Size Films and The Greenblatt/Janollari Studio and was shot on location in Los Angeles and in Hollywood studios. The show revolves around members the Fisher family, who run their funeral home in Los Angeles, and their friends and lovers. The series traces these characters' lives over the course of five years. The ensemble drama stars Peter Krause, Michael C. Hall, Frances Conroy, Lauren Ambrose, Freddy Rodriguez, Mathew St. Patrick and Rachel Griffiths as the show's seven central characters.
Six Feet Under received widespread critical acclaim, particularly for its writing and acting, and consistently drew high ratings for the HBO network. The series is noted for its exploration of mortality and death in western society. It won numerous awards, including three Golden Globes and nine Emmys. It also generated controversy for its graphical depiction of sexuality and some of the themes it addressed.

key_art_buffy_the_vampire_slayer.jpg

Buffy the Vampire Slayer is an American supernatural drama series that aired from March 10, 1997 until May 20, 2003. The series was created in 1997 by writer-director Joss Whedon under his production tag, Mutant Enemy Productions with later co-executive producers being Jane Espenson, David Fury, and Marti Noxon. The series narrative follows Buffy Summers (played by Sarah Michelle Gellar), the latest in a line of young women known as Slayers. Slayers are chosen by fate to battle against vampires, demons, and other forces of darkness. Like previous Slayers, Buffy is aided by a Watcher, who guides, teaches, and trains her. Unlike her predecessors, Buffy surrounds herself with a circle of loyal friends who become known as the "Scooby Gang".
The series usually reached between four and six million viewers on original airings. Although such ratings are lower than successful shows on the "big four" networks (ABC, NBC, CBS and Fox), they were a success for the relatively new and smaller WB Television Network. Reviews for the show were positive, and it was ranked #41 on the list of TV Guide's 50 Greatest TV Shows of All Time as well as #2 on Empire's 50 Greatest TV Shows of All Time. Buffy was also voted #3 in TV Guide's Top 25 Cult TV Shows of All Time and included in TIME Magazine's 100 Best TV Shows of All Time. It was nominated for Emmy and Golden Globe awards. The WB network ceased operation on September 17, 2006 after airing an "homage" to its "most memorable series", including the pilot episodes of Buffy and its spin-off Angel. Buffy's success has led to hundreds of tie-in products, including novels, comics, and video games. The series has received attention in fandom (including fan films), parody, and academia, and has influenced the direction of other television series.

I've nominated Six Feet under because it's my favourite show of all time, I fully expect it to lose to Buffy but if I can persuade some of you to go out and watch this incredible tv series then I'll be a happy chap.

So what's so great about it? It has a dark dark twisted humour, it puts the subject we avoid most as humans right there in front of us and comes out as uplifting, the writing and acting are excemplary.

Six Feet Under had a superb cast including Peter Krause (Dirt Sexy Money), Rachel Griffiths (Muriel's Wedding, Blow, Brothers & Sisters), Micheal C Hall (Dexter), Frances Conroy (shakespearian actress, and was in Woody Allen's Manhatten).

But my favourite charcater was always Richard Jenkins (Farelly Bros & Coen bros films) as the deceased Nathanial Fisher Snr, his stole every scene he was in.

37480839.jpg

As for women, there was Brenda (Rachel Griffiths) who was to put it mildly - filthy.
183117__rachel_l.jpg

and redhead Claire Fisher (Lauren Ambrose)

claire-762063.jpg

May I also point out that Alyson Hannigan and Amber Benson (and to a latter degree Iyari Limon) influenced US network TV to a great deal, with the Willow/Tara relationship being one of the first open lesbian relationships on network TV (and also holding the honour of having the first lesbian kiss on network TV (i.e. not cable) in the season 5 episode "The Body"), while the first lesbian sex scene on mainstream TV came in the season 7 episode "Touched" between Willow and Kennedy.

Wow this is closer than I expected!

To be fair, if buffy wasn't up against my choice I might be voting for it, I used to watch with my flatmates at uni and we'd discuss which of the girls was hottest (for the record mine was Miss Hannigan). But come on, it's a glorified kids show not a proper drama.

Six Feet Under was really well written, good stories, deeply profound and did a great line in dark humour.

Nathaniel Sr: You're looking for me? Claire: Yeah, where the **** is your grave?

Oh well, a little over 5 mins left, a six vote deficit is too much to overcome.

Thanks to the 8 people with class and taste who voted for Six Feet Under, I salute you.

Back