• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

manor15

Super Moderator⭐⭐
Staff member
Chris Phillips says he turned down a move to a League 2 club and it wasn't just Lincoln in for him.

Given he's got 2 years left on his deal here, who can blame him? One of the worst pieces of business we've done in years giving him a new deal in the summer after being not very good for 6 months after signing a 2 year deal in January.

I can’t help but think Theo’s signing was another one of Ron’s ideas of bringing an ex player back hoping to rekindle former glories. It also didn’t work with Eastwood, Barnard, Sawyer, Moussa - even Barrett’s second spell ended on a sour note. Hopefully he has learnt his lesson from this. Bringing an ex player back as a manager is a better idea though :winking:

A bit short sighted by Theo IMO.

Current bank balance V Possible continued career in football at a lower level.

Although I don't rate Robinson, and wished we shipped him out on loan, In hindsight, I do think it could be a blessing in disguise (only for the remainder of this season though).

What with Ranger gone, and our untested new Spurs kid and Ba. I think it's not such a bad thing currently on the whole. The only tried and trusted among'st the zone is currently a Cox and MAF partnership.

A bit short sighted by Theo IMO.

Current bank balance V Possible continued career in football at a lower level.

He'll be 31 by the time his contract expires, by the time his deal is up he'd be close to retirement anyway (especially since he's a player that relies on his pace).

To be fair, I am actually quite pleased he is staying. There is a decent layer in there, and with the right motivation and manager I expect that we will start to see some of that again. What he does have is blistering pace and as he is big, he does pull defenders with him, creating space for others to exploit. We haven't exploited this since his arrival, as we spend most of the season with our backs against the wall, leaving the forwards all feeding off scraps. After Saturday,I am hopeful that this is all about to change!

We could be keeping far worse players, and if the lad wants to stay and fight for a place, we'll bring it on. At least there will be a healthy competition for places!

I can’t help but think Theo’s signing was another one of Ron’s ideas of bringing an ex player back hoping to rekindle former glories. It also didn’t work with Eastwood, Barnard, Sawyer, Moussa - even Barrett’s second spell ended on a sour note. Hopefully he has learnt his lesson from this. Bringing an ex player back as a manager is a better idea though :winking:
Difference being is that most of the others mentioned had a good spell at Southend prior to leaving, Theo
didnt so there was no flame to rekindle

Maybe Theo believes he will do much better under Chris Powell's management.

Powell can't rate him that much if he was prepared to let him go on loan. And with Harrison and Ladapo arriving, he's moved even further down the pecking order. Giving Theo a new deal last summer has to be one of the craziest decisions the club's ever made.

Difference being is that most of the others mentioned had a good spell at Southend prior to leaving, Theo
didnt so there was no flame to rekindle

Really? I remember Theo being on fire here during his first spell here and getting a good move on the back of it.

I don't have a problem with him rejecting a move but he's got to start producing a bit more on the pitch.

I agree OBL, but I can't see him getting on the pitch for a long enough period to produce anything.

He has to be 5th or 6th choice after signing two new forwards, so clearly Chirs Powell doesn't see him in his immediate plans. A loan spell and game time in order to rediscover some form, makes more sense IMO.

Hopefully we can get him on loan and at least get 50% of his wages off the books. He’s so far down the pecking order now that it’s probably best for both parties if he goes. Harrison, Ladapo, Cox and Fortuné are all ahead of him and I would even rather see Wabo play ahead of him, which makes him 6th choice.

Can only imagine he’s on a decent enough whack here.

He ain’t making the bench now we’ve signed 2 more forwards

IIRC the 3 year deal was a restructure of a 2 year deal for longer term security and so he could settle in the area. It’s unrealistic to think that 6 month on that need won’t still be there. He will be with us until either a local team comes in for him or his contract ticks down or nearly ticks down. And to be honest, I can’t blame him - it’s a job to him and his family’s wellbeing at the end of the day

IIRC the 3 year deal was a restructure of a 2 year deal for longer term security and so he could settle in the area. It’s unrealistic to think that 6 month on that need won’t still be there. He will be with us until either a local team comes in for him or his contract ticks down or nearly ticks down. And to be honest, I can’t blame him - it’s a job to him and his family’s wellbeing at the end of the day

Absolutely. In my view we were silly to give him a long contract and can't complain now if he expects us to see it out. Our best bet is Orient wanting him on loan. Unless Powell can get him playing of course - his stats for Derby in the Championship show there's a player in there somewhere.

very well put. I was just about to write something similar.

Back