• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I agree Ferdinand was good last season but he burnt out towards the end. He should never have got a 2 year deal in the summer. I'd have been fine with him getting a year

I can't remember anyone on here complaining at the time of the new 2 yr deal, quite the opposite. I agree a 1 year deal would have been preferable but I'm sure there would have been a good few clubs willing to offer him 2 years and we wanted to keep him here as one of our key players from the season before. There are criticisms you can throw at Brown but think this one is unfair, I think most managers would have done exactly the same, just bad luck his form took such a nosedive.

I can't remember anyone on here complaining at the time of the new 2 yr deal, quite the opposite. I agree a 1 year deal would have been preferable but I'm sure there would have been a good few clubs willing to offer him 2 years and we wanted to keep him here as one of our key players from the season before. There are criticisms you can throw at Brown but think this one is unfair, I think most managers would have done exactly the same, just bad luck his form took such a nosedive.

Oh I dunno. A few of us caught wind of the 2 year deal about a week or two before it got announced and we were amazed that Ron was even considering it. As AB says, he was good last season but when he came back he did look burnt out. I agree the whole scenario is a bit of bad luck though. No one could have predicted this much of a nosedive in form.

I think the thing to remember with Theo's signing was that at that time, we were very short of strikers.

Cox & Fortune were the only two. Nile was serving an FA ban and had that court case looming in the April.

It was January 31st and Theo had just scored a few goals in Lincoln's cup run and caught a bit of attention.

Add to that the old player coming back to RH scenario and it all looked a cosy deal.

Enter the agent, upping the ante with contract demands and Theo wanting a bit of security if he was going to move back down South and there's your 3 year deal. We would have also thought that if it doesn't work out, we could get a fee selling him on after a year or two anyway.

The rest of last season it looked a half decent bit of business, but with Nile coming back at the start of this season, Theo's been benched and has under-performed, leaving us with a bit of a headache.

At the time, though, maybe 3 years was all we could get him and the agent to agree on.

This isn't accurate. We had already signed him last January (on a 2-year deal I think). We then ripped it up and gave him an extended 3-year deal in the Summer. We didn't need to do this as he was already under contract...and hardly pulling up trees.

Wasn't the reason we extended Theo's contract because he was thick as thieves with Ranger and we wanted to keep NR as happy as possible? Ironic if so after recent events....

This isn't accurate. We had already signed him last January (on a 2-year deal I think). We then ripped it up and gave him an extended 3-year deal in the Summer. We didn't need to do this as he was already under contract...and hardly pulling up trees.

MO 'banjo'

I wasn't paying close attention in the summer, so missed that bit.

i have no inside info, but I would be amazed if he keeps collecting his wages if it becomes abundantly clear he is never going to play for us.

Cannot see him playing much to be honest ,really can't understand Ron letting horton buy him ,when Brown didn't want him .
I rate him a lot do believe he can score goals , he must be 5th or 6th on pecking order

All the conflicting viewpoints simply prove one thing. No one knows what has gone on behind the scenes and what was in Theo’s mind when he turned down the opportunities to move. Whatever his reasons, he’s committed himself to Southend United and will take his chances under the new manager.

Clean slate now as far as I’m concerned.

Turned down a loan move to Colchester.... can you blame him?

Blues striker Theo turns down loan move to Colchester

SOUTHEND United striker Theo Robinson rejected the chance to join Colchester United on loan.

More...

I would have thought that wouldn't have been a bad move for him, he wouldn't have too up root his family. I'm surprised he turned it down considering his opportunities with us were limited and will be more so with the signings we've just made.

Well he's on a set wage anyway, no doubt will retire once the contract is finished, or play for a lot less money with a local non league side, especially now he has his family settled in area.

No doubt we will see him make some 80 minute substitute appearances for the remainder of this season, and starting up front in the 3 Checkatrade trophy league games next season...And all while, the club would still be looking to loan him out.

The impression I got when the 3 year deal was announced was that the deal was a bit lower but longer - more security for him, less upfront wages for us.

Back