• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Good point earnt after a draining match on Saturday, plus Rochdale are in many opinions in a false position in the league.
Would have taken a point before kickoff.

First half Rochdale generally dominated they pressed us incredibly quickly and shut us down as an attacking force.
They seemed to tire 2nd half and we changed the system slightly playing wordsworth off the striker. Macca came on and was excellent, a real threat. We were the better team 2nd half and showed some good stuff going forward in the last 15 mins especially.
Oxley 6 made some decent saves two or three horror moments with crosses and oddly punching a shot when catching seemed easier.
Demi 6.5 fairly solid
Anton 7 assured and read game well
Turner 7 same as Anton
Coker 7 got forward well in 2nd half
Wordsworth 6 poor first half but played well 2nd
Wright 5.5 first half passenger improved a bit 2nd
Dru 6.5 bit overrun in the first half bit played some lovely stuff in the 2nd half.
MAF 6.5 isolated in 1st half...persevered
Kightly 6.5 some good bits
Harrison 5 I can't remember any thing of note from the youngster...good or bad tbh
Macca...came on and put us on the front foot. Really good impact from the bench
Ladapo...only a cameo...but caused trouble and done well with some great skill in the box.

We had one of the worst away records in the 92 this season and we’re now unbeaten on the road since Powell came in. Ok we look a bit shot shy up front but we are becoming hard to beat again with the clean sheets and I’d rather we sort that end out first. From the radio commentary it sounded, particularly first half, that Rochdale were the better side and we’ve managed to keep them out whereas I think earlier this season we’d have crumbled late on

I also think we just need to get mathematically safe this season and have a big clear out in the summer. The strikers don’t look good enough and the wingers don’t really look good enough either to provide them with consistent service

After watching that 93 minutes I think we should be grateful to Oxley and the back 4 for being on their A game. Oxley once again made some crucial stops and the defence got heads, feet and bodies in the way of pretty much all that Rochdale could throw at us. Yearwood never stopped running, chasing and snapping at Rochdale in the middle of the park, but was let down by Wright and Woody not doing their fair share of the graft that was necessary tonight. Wright offered up an honest 90 mins but not a lot went right for him, Woody had one of his strolling games. Premier qualities Mr Powell? - maybe at the hotel chain but not any more than that on that performance. Harrison chased about but he looks as if he is finding men's football a bit tough at the moment. For his age, and so soon after Saturday, MAF continues to astound me with his appetite for the game. If only he could add finishing skills to his armoury.............

Anyway, we didn't concede and we earned another precious point towards our total. There was an interesting drum competition between both sets of supporters, which the Southend drummer won hands down in my view. Although I have to say that both drums were severely getting on my tits by the time the final whistle blew. Anyway, onwards to Blackpool come Saturday and we will see whether Marco can do it again up there. COYB.

Anton wouldn't talk to BBC Essex or the Echo after the game, definitely sounds like he's got a bit of a problem to me, added to the fact he runs straight down the tunnel after games now. He did give an interview to the official website though. Should this cheese me off? :thumbdown:
Thought I'd add I stuck up for him on the thread when people were giving him a hard time and I think he's done well under SCP.

Anton wouldn't talk to BBC Essex or the Echo after the game, definitely sounds like he's got a bit of a problem to me, added to the fact he runs straight down the tunnel after games now. He did give an interview to the official website though. Should this cheese me off? :thumbdown:
Thought I'd add I stuck up for him on the thread when people were giving him a hard time and I think he's done well under SCP.

Anton did not acknowledge us at all at the end of the game...he has had plenty of stick this year though so maybe just his way of sticking two fingers up to those hecklers.

Anton did not acknowledge us at all at the end of the game...he has had plenty of stick this year though so maybe just his way of sticking two fingers up to those hecklers.

Well surely he should be the bigger man. It was a small minority giving him stick. I don't think this will endear him to a lot of the Shrimpers.

I thought we played well in the second half, and Dru was our best player. I am concerned that Oxley made two glaring errors, attempting punches that he could easily have caught the ball. The first he missed completely, the second went about 6 yards and fell to one of their players in the box. If a keeper is going to punch, it has to long and hard.

The defence was solid but the midfield didn't really push forward until after the break. Indeed, we didn't win one corner in the first half.

Rochdale only had one really clear cut opportunity in the whole game, and a one on one with the keeper that Oxley did well to save. Southend under Powell are not quite the finished article but they looked a lot better than under the fag end of Brown's reign.

Last edited:
What has Timlin done wrong, I am ****ed off Wright is in the side over Timlin. wright offers nothing for me going forward or in defence...get Tims back for Blackpool!!!!

My views on the game, for what it's worth.

Firstly, it was lovely to see a game on a decent pitch for a change, it resulted on a few overhit passes in the first half but we adjusted after a while.

Secondly, I thought a draw was on balance a fair result - both sides had chances to win it.

My ratings

Oxley 6.5 - A clean sheet and a typical Oxley game really: a couple of good saves and a couple heart-stopping moments when he punched instead of caught shots. An old boy sat behind me said that he wants to move North at the end of the season so won't sign a new contract. Is that a SZ rumour or do they have inside info.? I'm not sure.

Demetriou 6.5 - Pretty solid game, got forward well on occasions, but still looks backwards too often for my liking. One great saving tackle in the 2nd half.

Turner 7 - Solid, reads the game well and mops up a lot at the back. Wish he was more of a threat from set pieces going forwards

Ferdinand 7 - Same as Turner

Coker 7 - A couple of great overlapping runs in the 2nd half, looked completely knackered after both of them.

Kightley 7 - A few good moments on a pitch that suited him, fades in and out of the game a bit.

Yearwood 8 - Yet again the pick of the midfield, not a perfect performance (a couple of misplaced passes) but this is just because he set the bar so high. What a player for an 18 year old - can't believe England haven't picked him for his age group yet.

Wright 7 - A much better performance than Saturday, worked pretty hard in the midfield and some nice driving runs as well

Wordsworth 5 - Oh dear, strolled around for much of the game, offered little going forwards and even less defending.

Harrison 5 - A boy playing a man's game, not strong enough.

Fortuné 8 - If only he was 26, not 36! Gave everything for 90 minutes, holds the ball up so well, clever passes and runs and one strong shout for a pen. that the homer of a ref was never going to give.

Subs.

Macca 6 - A couple of good runs, but not a game changer

Ladapo 6 - Actually had the ball in the net (the offside flag was already well up!), otherwise offers little

Overall a decent point and a clean sheet away from home. We have better players on the bench (Cox, Timlin, possibly Mantom) than some of those who started last night (Wordsworth, Harrison, possibly Wright) and hopefully they will come in with fresh legs on Sunday.

Not sure how many of us were there last night, I would say a couple of hundred which is pretty decent for a Tuesday night in Rochdale.

A young player with an eye for a goal? No wabo! ........... I mean, no way bro! (typo) :smile:

Back