• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

RHB

I'm a Gnu, how do you do!⭐⭐
Staff member
Southend United and BBC Essex have made Saturday afternoon pretty grim for all of us non attendees. Time for a lot of pages of match reports I think. any one know how many of the faithful made the journey?

Match report: Rochdale 3, Southend United 0

SOUTHEND United’s away day struggles continued with a 3-0 defeat at Rochdale this afternoon.

More...

Anyone who honestly believes that PB will achieve anything this season is deluded. He has a reasonable squad and it's performing nowhere near well enough. Rochdale like many others are no world beaters but yet again dispatch us with ease.

Bore off permatan. I feel sorry for those who just throw money away traveling to watch such abject performances.

Sorry but that 11 that he put out and with the subs on the bench, should not be getting played off the park and pulverised 3-0 at bloody Rochdale. No more excuses with injuries. A change is needed at the top of the management and coaching staff and if it isn't done now, then we are gonners. Sort it out, Martin.

Anyone that continues with Mooney in their team needs to be taken into care.

Another heavy away defeat and 22nd int he table. At least England are on the telly, that'll cheer me up right? :unsure:

I don't post often but it's time for Phil to go now. Results speak for themselves and we are simply looking shocking at the moment, we shouldn't be losing 3-0 to Rochdale away from home!

So we turned up at Rochdale with a load of big names in our side - Ranger, Cox, Ferdinand, Fortune, and to an extent Barrett. And we got fairly easily beaten by a Rochdale side who were nothing special, but were honest, organised, worked as a team, and played the right players in the right positions.

This is the way we used to be with us. The success we had under Phil Brown has come from him sticking to a tried and tested system, using the same players in a settled team, and not deviating even when the fans said things were getting a bit boring. It's all changed now. We play a different formation week, a different team each week, and usually chop and change as the game develops. Who is our first choice right back? Is it White, Demetriou, or O'Neill? Increasingly, our game plan is about getting as many big names on the pitch as we can and hoping something happens. We finished today with Ferdinand and Cox playing in midfield positions – both did okay actually, but let's not pretend this was part of the master plan. Nor is it the way forward.

It's for these reasons that I think Mr Brown does now have to go. Not because I expect us to be challenging for promotion, and not because we fail to win every single game. But because they're clearly isn't a plan, and if there is, it changes every five minutes. Whoever takes over here is going to start by clearing out a lot of players - because we blatantly have too many - and getting back to a settled team with people playing in their proper positions. If that means dropping a few big names, and it will, we need somebody who's got the balls to get on and do it.

When I've watched the team struggle in central midfield and central defence all season, and I turn up today to see the latest addition is another forward with Premier League experience (wow!) who we blatantly don't need, I realise the manager doesn't have a grip on where his side is going wrong. I remember when Graham Taylor in his final England game played Gary Pallister at left wing back. He must look back now and think why the hell did I do that? But managers get to a stage where they lose their way and are shoe horning players in to try and get as much quality on the pitch as possible, and ours is at that stage now. He needs to go.

Barrett, Coker, Oxley, Ferdinand played quite well today - but in honesty I don't think anyone really knew their job.

Last edited:
I shall look forward to the match reports and ratings on about page 9 of this thread! :winking:

...apart from the good post, above ^

Absolutely appalling today. Hard to know where to start. Fundamentally we look utterly clueless going forward and largely incompetent defensively.

Mooney clearly not productive as a lone or semi-lone striker. Why persist with it? Why make a like for like switch for Fortune and not rethink the system? It did not help. McGlashen and McLaughlin had no impact on the game. Wordsworth anonymous. There is no spark when we bring the ball forward, no one who seems capable of making things happen.

Defensively we do lack pace but for what we lose on the ground we should surely gain in the air. Yet we continue to concede from set pieces. We had a few reasonably well located set pieces but they were all completely wasted. Rochdale, however, made their chances count just by showing a bit of quality. Rochdale do deserve credit for keeping us at bay but it didn't look difficult.

Ranger perhaps the only vague positive today for at least winning a couple of headers and not getting bullied off the ball. But that really is it. Nothing else.

Awful.

Two teams have scored less than us - nobody has conceded more so far this season in our division.

Last 15 away league games: won 2, drawn 1, lost 12, GF 11 - GA 34. 8 times we've failed to score.

We have lots of individual players in their own right but no team and no balance. Lazy team selection again.

How many more excuses is Brown going to give, I picked the wrong team again ans again and again, just go. Martin face the facts if you want division two next season keep Brown, but I dont as a season card holder it will be the end for me.

How many more excuses is Brown going to give, I picked the wrong team again ans again and again, just go. Martin face the facts if you want division two next season keep Brown, but I dont as a season card holder it will be the end for me.
Same with me. Tbh I pondered whether to renew this season or not and now I am sorry that I have. My son didn't (he has supported blues for 29 years (since 4 years old) and he doesn't attend at all now.

Same with me. Tbh I pondered whether to renew this season or not and now I am sorry that I have. My son didn't (he has supported blues for 29 years (since 4 years old) and he doesn't attend at all now.

I will always support the team, no matter who is playing, and who's in charge - if you want to support a winning team try getting a Real Madrid or a Manchester City season ticket.

4-0,4-0 & 3-0 in the last 3 away league matches tells it's own story. Adding insult to injury is the fact that 3 average teams with a plan, and ideas and probably a much smaller budget put us away with ease. That's down to the manager yet again................nuff said !!! RM has to sort this out.

We are total dog **** but my support regardless of division will continue. This is Southend United, we've always been bobbins.

Back