• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Rochdale dilemma

You know you want to go to the match really

And as it's the last away game you get to go in fancy dress. Grim Reaper costumes in Essex are getting hired at an alarming rate for that weekend

Rochdale away always seems to be a significant fixture for new managers.

It was the first fixture after PB was sacked and PB's first away fixture after PS was sacked.
Andy, you are sure about it being the first fixture after Phil Brown was sacked? I recall going to Peterborough last season where we won 1-0, and remember it being Powell's first away game. I am sure Rochdale was a few games later.

You sound like you have been through the good and the bad with the club so don't let our current predicament stop you.

However having once seen us lose 2-0 at Rochdale many many years back , The worlds HELL and Earth spring to mind , A quick escape after the FT whistle and York sounds a much more appealing way to see out the remainder of the weekend! Go for it !:Thumbs up:

Andy, you are sure about it being the first fixture after Phil Brown was sacked? I recall going to Peterborough last season where we won 1-0, and remember it being Powell's first away game. I am sure Rochdale was a few games later.

Yep you're right, it was played later in the season, but Rochdale was the first scheduled match after PB.

It was the one called off literally a couple of hours before kick off. CP wasn't in charge then, though he did travel to the match. Kev Maher and Ricky Duncan had picked the side.

Peterborough was CP's first away game under his managership, so yes that's spot on.

Last edited:
Had planned a weekend away for the last match of the season, ending in a meal at Roots York, after the match on Saturday. We were going to drive up on Friday and stay somewhere around the Stoke area before heading on to the match and then drive across to York after the match, where our hotel and restaurant reservations have already been made for Saturday, and pretty much paid for. We're meeting up with old friends of hubby's at the restaurant that he's not seen for ages - but he doesn't know that yet!

I haven't yet booked a hotel for Friday night.

After yesterday's shambles, and the recent results and performances, I am really wondering if I should bother with all that cross country driving and just book another night in York!

Thoughts, please, fellow Zoners!

It's a belting place OBL....lashings of pubs, friendly folk and great touristy sites....I used to live there.....however, once a Blue always a Blue.....:LoyalSupporter:

Rochdale away always seems to be a significant fixture for new managers.

It was the first fixture after PB was sacked and PB's first away fixture after PS was sacked.

I seem to recall Mick Gooding having two matches in charge as caretaker manager and both were away to Rochdale.

Had planned a weekend away for the last match of the season, ending in a meal at Roots York, after the match on Saturday. We were going to drive up on Friday and stay somewhere around the Stoke area before heading on to the match and then drive across to York after the match, where our hotel and restaurant reservations have already been made for Saturday, and pretty much paid for. We're meeting up with old friends of hubby's at the restaurant that he's not seen for ages - but he doesn't know that yet!

I haven't yet booked a hotel for Friday night.

After yesterday's shambles, and the recent results and performances, I am really wondering if I should bother with all that cross country driving and just book another night in York!

Thoughts, please, fellow Zoners!

Clever link of yours:

little-shambles1-604x402.jpg

I had penciled this in as an away stay trip too, but in the swanky up market area of Harrogate.
With the possible dire situation for us and Rochdale I think it might be a memorable game.

Kay - I know that you have your standards but bear with me on this one.

I've stayed in Glossop a few times as a stop-over one night only venue either for our games in the area or for heading further afield.

There is a great pub there which brews its own beer called 'The Globe.' They also have bands on in a little theatre attached to it.

There is also a great little Indian (restaurant) there close to the Travelodge.

"The Travelodge?" I hear you thinking, "... surely Rob is not serious when he talks about the Travelodge?!" but it's a converted old mill and it's quite quirky and comfortable.

I don't think it can be that far from Rochdale and the drive up there (through the Derbyshire countryside) is one of the charms of going there in itself.

I had penciled this in as an away stay trip too, but in the swanky up market area of Harrogate.
With the possible dire situation for us and Rochdale I think it might be a memorable game.

We stayed in Harrogate after Bradford last year before moving on to York! Love Harrogate. We stayed at the Cedar Court Hotel last year, which is a short walk into town and has a good bar area plus a great aspect if you get a room at the front.

Kay - I know that you have your standards but bear with me on this one.

I've stayed in Glossop a few times as a stop-over one night only venue either for our games in the area or for heading further afield.

There is a great pub there which brews its own beer called 'The Globe.' They also have bands on in a little theatre attached to it.

There is also a great little Indian (restaurant) there close to the Travelodge.

"The Travelodge?" I hear you thinking, "... surely Rob is not serious when he talks about the Travelodge?!" but it's a converted old mill and it's quite quirky and comfortable.

I don't think it can be that far from Rochdale and the drive up there (through the Derbyshire countryside) is one of the charms of going there in itself.
Thanks Rob, will definitely look into that. Last Travelodge I stayed in was at Gatwick a couple of years ago and it was horrific!

God... and there was me thinking OBL had got her wires crossed with Roots Hall! Sorry OBL!

Although in my defence it was slightly confusing at first as she said that it was the last match of the season and initially I was trying to work out what Rochdale had to do with Sunderland...

Duly edited, last AWAY match obviously!

So, we're heading to Buxton today, then a shorter journey on to Rochdale tomorrow before hot-footing it across the Pennines to York!

So, we're heading to Buxton today, then a shorter journey on to Rochdale tomorrow before hot-footing it across the Pennines to York!
Check out the shopping arcade, there's a well known cafe inside (Charlotte's) which is probably up your street!

Yep here:
http://www.charlotteschocolates.com/

The arcade is called Cavendish Arcade - it's a converted old baths, it's quite cool if you like independent shops and things.

What a shame we didn't get a chance, what with time and the weather! We stayed at the Best Western which was wonderful, loved it and hope to go back another time.

As a Westcliff Old Boy, I'm not sure if you know the significance of Chapel-en-le-Frith to those of us from the girls' school. It's where the whole school was evacuated to in WW2, so it was fantastic to pass through and get a quick photo alongside the place name.

Back