• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mick

Life President
Tomorrow's referee is Graham Horwood from Luton, in his 5th year as a League referee and refereeing his 5th Southend home game.

These five years are either side of a two year gap when he was demoted for performance reasons. As a result his last couple of visits to the Hall have been as an assistant referee.

His previous four visits to Roots Hall as a referee weren't too bad. The most recent was the final home game of 2008/9 against Cheltenham. The other three were Hereford in the same season and Rochdale in the cup and Bournemouth in the League the year before that. So we have a 100% home record with this official. The only match of these with a significant number of cards was the Rochdale Cup game where they had 4 yellows to our 1. Le Fondre scored for them; Bailey and Harrold for us.

Since then he refereed the 1-0 defeat at Aldershot 2010/11 when we shaded the yellows 3-2.

Above average cards (45 yellows and one red from a dozen games) and he has a reputation of being a somewhat fussy referee but as I've said before, he can't be that fussy if he lives in Luton. The first player he sent off as a League referee was a Rochdale player; no prizes for guessing it was Perkins.

Assisting will be Ryan Atkin and Ian Crouch both from London while Carl Fitch, a school teacher from Ipswich makes his umpteenth trip down the A12 to be 4th official.

Appointments are made a bit earlier over the festive period.

Christmas cards will be shown this year by:

Graham Scott (AFC Wimbledon A)
Andy Haines (Accrington A)
Dave Phillips (Pompey H)

I thought this guy did a good job in tonight's game, just the near big mistake of an advantage played when there wasn't any which nearly lead to a goal. Bookings were ok, he spoke properly to the players and explained his decisions. The linesmen were a bit flag fast a few times and I have serious doubts about a few of their decisions but especially in adverse weather I rate this ref 8/10 and lions 6.5/10.

thought he was a typical league 2 ref. seemed happy for some big physical battles and challenges and then gave fouls and got his book out for some less obvious stuff. this was summed up for me in the first half at one point there were about 3 heavy tackles in a row that any of could have been given as fouls, and they were followed by a slight nudge. he gave the foul for the nudge. also, similarly, there were some blatant shoves while waiting for the ball to come down, and none of them were given. for those of you thinking 'its a mans game', not only is that not really the case any more, but it also doesnt suit the southend team.

well given he missed Prosser's great save, I'm giving him a 9! Actually thought he did fairly well, Corr had a few fouls missed, but then he was at fault half the time also, so about right.

I thought he was poor tonight, and got a lot of decisions wrong. No major ones that effected the game, but up until the hour mark he seemed to give all the 50/50's to Rochdale and then in the last 30 minutes evened it up by giving everything to us.

Not sure about the handball, as from what I remember it took a deflection from Bentley about a yard in front of Prosser and hit his arm which was in front of his chest. Seen them given, and if the other way around would expect a pen, but can see why he didn't give it. If he had it would of been very unlucky, as Prosser did not spread himself or have his arms away from his body.

Didn't think he was too bad, bit inconsistent on the advantage being played, one very poor one played where we lost the ball almost immediately and I felt he should have dragged it back for the free kick and then, later, a free kick given when we'd already advanced at speed some way up the field.

I couldn't see Prosser's "save" well enough, but I think, from the sound of things, it would have been harsh to be given as a pen. There was a very poor offside given in the 2nd half when our player was well down the west side and very clearly on. Felt also that he should have booked their goalkeeper for his time wasting, we've seen far less time wasting punished ourselves.

He also clearly knew the 40 was time-wasting when 'injured' in first half, but couldn't book him with physio on!

I actually thought he was one of the best we've had for a while. Didnt give free-kicks for silly little things most refs do and was pretty consistant. Happily have him do every game and i cant say that about many refs!!

Back