• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mick

Life President
We have a good record against Rochdale at home; their last win here was over 30 years ago and other than a good spell they had in the late 60s, early 70s when they won three in a row, we've had by far the better of things. We even recovered from a 3-0 half-time deficit 17 years ago.

Anyway, on to the match officials. Saturday's referee has achieved something that no other referee in the world has managed - he has presided over a Southend win against Morecambe !

The man in charge is Rob Lewis, from Shrewsbury. This is the seventh season of his second spell as a League referee, having lost his place in 2008 probably primarily due to injury. In fact he's not had the best of luck with injuries as he missed most of 2014/15 and started this season at the beginning of December.

Another one of our shorter officials, his most recent Southend match was the last of the games he did do in 2014/15 when we beat Newport 2-0 in a cardless match and a decent performance from him.

Before that he oversaw our comfortable Cup win at Morecambe 2013/14 - 6 yellows, Leonard and Atkinson for us and 4 for them. He was also in charge of our opening game of that season against Plymouth when we won 1-0 (Corr) and he again did pretty well; just a couple of cautions for them. Co-incidentally he also did the final game of the previous season, doubly co-incidentally against Morecambe. We, and he, did less well in that game losing by the only goal, Hurst's yellow being the only card shown.

His first visit to the Hall was for the 2-0 home victory over Luton (Bailey and a late goal from Walker) in 2007/8. Previously he had refereed our 3-0 defeat at Derby in the Championship the season before (five cautions in that match; unusually four to the home side - ours went to Gary Hooper).

More recently he presided over the dreadful 0-0 with Aldershot towards the end of the 2010/11 season. His performance, whilst only average, was rather better than that of the players. He cautioned Grant and Corr and one of theirs.

His other previous home game came on a Friday night 2012/13, when 3 second half goals gave us the 3 points against Chesterfield. No cards.

Mr Lewis' main claim to fame is the fact that he was the assistant referee involved in the incredible decision when Tottenham's Pedro Mendes' long shot at Old Trafford was about two yards over the line but no goal was given.

As already stated, this season he has started late through injury and has officiated in just 7 matches showing a slightly below average 19 yellow but no red cards.

Not to be confused with famous referee R. Lewis from Great Bookham, who refereed the Hillsborough tragedy match (and our 4-4 draw with Northampton .......and a couple of matches at which I was a linesman!).

The rest of the team are all regular visitors to Roots Hall. Ginger haired psychology teacher from Ipswich, Carl Fitch-Jackson was here as assistant to Mr Lewis for that Newport game (before he changed his name by deed poll and was then simply Carl Fitch) and black Londoner, Dave Bushell will be running the lines and outstanding refereeing prospect Chris Pollard from Stowmarket will be fourth official. His father was a linesman at the 1999 League Cup Final at Wembley and Pollard jnr had a good match recently at East Thurrock v Concord Rangers.

Last edited:
........Tomorrow's referee has achieved something that no other referee in the world has managed - he has presided over a Southend win against Morecambe !

Yay - Friday night football! ;-)

this guy made Trevor Kettle look a cert for the next World Cup or Euro's - woeful

Awful referee, overall this season I think the standard of refereeing hasn't been too bad, bit this guy was shocking

Rob Lewis, hang your head in shame! :blush:

... and outstanding refereeing prospect Chris Pollard from Stowmarket will be fourth official.

I think, if it were possible to substitute a ref, then this swap would have been made at half-time.

Some refs just have bad days and make the odd mistake, but this fella lost control of the match. Even dropping his yellow card on the floor, so eager was he to wave it around.

He then got fussy about the position of free-kicks towards the end.

Personally, I think he got the Matty Lund decision right. He was trying to control a high and powerful pass and just slightly misjudged it, catching the top of his arm, rather than his chest, but by then, it was a turkey-shoot for the players, who could literally bully him into giving out whichever colour card they wanted.

Keith Hill knew it. I've never seen a substitute board go up so quickly.

.. That said, having a ref rile the crowd really gets the atmosphere going!

Rob Lewis, hang your head in shame! :blush:

I think, if it were possible to substitute a ref, then this swap would have been made at half-time.

Some refs just have bad days and make the odd mistake, but this fella lost control of the match. Even dropping his yellow card on the floor, so eager was he to wave it around.

He then got fussy about the position of free-kicks towards the end.

Personally, I think he got the Matty Lund decision right. He was trying to control a high and powerful pass and just slightly misjudged it, catching the top of his arm, rather than his chest, but by then, it was a turkey-shoot for the players, who could literally bully him into giving out whichever colour card they wanted.

Keith Hill knew it. I've never seen a substitute board go up so quickly.

He may have got that right but what about the 4 times before that Lund should have got a second yellow?

In front of me. A deliberate handball and the referee saw it, went for his card then realised it was Lund. That is why our players were so wound up

He may have got that right but what about the 4 times before that Lund should have got a second yellow?

Maybe, but I was referring to that one decision.

Whether he should have remained on the pitch, before that incident, is definitely up for debate.

Didn't the Lino - who was in a better position - wave for handball?

He did, but it's only a yellow card offence, unless on the goal-line, for deliberate handball and I didn't think it was deliberate.

More a case of trying to control a fast moving ball and it catching the top of your arm, rather than your chest.

MMight have done but the ref gave it immediately. He consulted afterwards probably to give him an excuse to change his mind over the card.

Think the lino stopped the Ref from sending Lund off by reminding him that he was already on a yellow
Shame he didn't do the same for McGlashan

Total shambles of a ref today, nearly cost us the game ! I am usually quite calm at games these days but I was going berserk at some of his decisions today! And what was with all the theatrics and gesturing all the time?

Terrible, absolutely awful. I understand there are no longer assessors at matches, that's a shame because if there had been, then this joker might have been put out to pasture!

Todays ref was a complet plank Lund should have recived his marching orders .But the man in the middle completely bottled it .The 2 red cards he gave I have no doubt he got both right .But when it came to sending Rochdale down to 9 men .He allowed them to sub his to save lund .A very poor choose and the wrong one in my view .

Back