• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Massimo Giovanni

Old Timer⭐⭐
This will be my first ever trip to the hidden delights of Rochdale; and likely it's legendary fish and chip shop opposite the ground. Another ground ticked off from the Northern Wastelands.

Have we got any new injuries?

Oxley,

White, Inniss, Ferdinand, Barratt, Coker

MacLaughlin, Leonard, Wordsworth, McGlashen

Mooney

Really same as last 2 league games but no Demitreau.

Useful subs; Cox, Fortune, Thompson, Atkinson, O'Neill, King(Bridge) and Smith - Will Ranger or Sokolik travel/make the bench?

With the squad we have at present it is a shame the rules don't allow 5 substitutes to be used.

Think you probably have that spot on. I'd like to see how Mooney does with a holding player like Fortune along side him. Think people would see a very different David Mooney to the one being made to play up top on his own (which no forward enjoys)
Need a bit more grit in midfield mind, pretty much one way traffic coming at us for times against Peterborough. As if midfield wasn't there and for this reason I would play 4 4 2:
Oxley,White,Ferdinand,Inness,Coker,MacLaughlin,Leonard,Wordsworth,Atkinson,Mooney and Fortune.
Bit harsh on McGlashen but as it won't happen anyway...

Think you probably have that spot on. I'd like to see how Mooney does with a holding player like Fortune along side him. Think people would see a very different David Mooney to the one being made to play up top on his own (which no forward enjoys)
Need a bit more grit in midfield mind, pretty much one way traffic coming at us for times against Peterborough. As if midfield wasn't there and for this reason I would play 4 4 2:
Oxley,White,Ferdinand,Inness,Coker,MacLaughlin,Leonard,Wordsworth,Atkinson,Mooney and Fortune.
Bit harsh on McGlashen but as it won't happen anyway...

Agree Mate, the team I put up was the one I expect PB to select and not that which I would go with. After the Northampton game I think PB, and near all of us will be happy to "just" keep an oh so elusive clean sheet.

Agree Mate, the team I put up was the one I expect PB to select and not that which I would go with. After the Northampton game I think PB, and near all of us will be happy to "just" keep an oh so elusive clean sheet.

Definitely signs of improvement for me. Inniss looks like a great signing to me, nothing is getting past him in the air. Need Timlin back enforcing midfield ASAP and then I can see a big turn around for our season - quietly optimistic.

After last night's run out Thompson has convinced me that he could start and not let us down. He has more pace than either Ferdinand or Barrett so he would get the nod in my starting eleven. I would start him in front of the back four as the player that breaks up the opposition build up. I would probably start John White as well as Demetriou is on International duty. I don't, for one minute, expect this team to start by the way.

Oxley

White Inniss Ferdinand Coker

Thompson

Mcglashan Leonard Mclaughlin

Cox Fortune​

Yes almost-you can't leave out Wordsworth,so be more attacking-Thomson on the bench.

Oxley

White Innis Ferdinand Barrett Coker

McGlashan Leonard Wordsworth McLaughlin

Fortuné

Hopefully see Ranger on the bench and a bit of a random thought. This has to be the latest into a season before we've worn our away kit isn't it?

Yes almost-you can't leave out Wordsworth,so be more attacking-Thomson on the bench.

Yeah, I did think about Mr W instead, but I think we are still desperate for a 'put your foot in' player, especially away from home and Thompson ticks that box..

Last edited:
I might be on my own here, but I would start with Barrett personally. I think Rochdale will come at us straight out of the blocks, and although Thompson does have the speed, IMO Barrett has the better defensive capabilities, and has been rested longer too. Perhaps a change at half time is planned to inject some more pace into the game.

Rochdale seem to have a decent defensive record so far this season but don't seem to score prolifically either, so on that basis i'm going for a 0-0 result (1-1 if were lucky).

I might be on my own here, but I would start with Barrett personally. I think Rochdale will come at us straight out of the blocks, and although Thompson does have the speed, IMO Barrett has the better defensive capabilities, and has been rested longer too. Perhaps a change at half time is planned to inject some more pace into the game.

I would imagine that ORM would back your judgement on Barrett.

Thompson is still quite young (well, that applies to almost the whole team compared with Barrett :winking:) and I think is a better player with an experienced old head alongside him ............ and that could be Anton or Adam.

Anyway, my last visit to Spotland saw Jack Payne (remember him?) jink in and score ........... before we lost 4-1 as part of our calamitous end of season run. I think my previous visit was a cracking win with some loan chap from Norwich playing his part in a very good game .................. so I'm hoping for more of that please.

However Rochdale's last 6 games read as L D W W W W - so they are not doing badly at all at the moment after a rather poor August for them.

However Rochdale's last 6 games read as L D W W W W - so they are not doing badly at all at the moment after a rather poor August for them.

And that fact could work in our favour. Perversely Southend do have a habit of turning up away where we expect a spanking and instead we steal the points. I think we are close to a back 4/5 of reasonable quality. Front line players give me hope as well. But despite the likes of Lenny and Wordsworth I still think we are too lightweight in the middle. Saturday will provide the answer I think Rattus.

Last edited:
Rochdale are in really good form at the moment so a draw would be a good result while increasing our unbeaten run. I'm hoping for a 1-0 win but feel we'll be on the wrong end of a 2-0 defeat. :'(

The good news is that their captain (midfielder, scored 5 goals this season) is out after suffering concussion....

Weather looks good for the game - light winds, clouds and a temperature of 55 degrees Fahrenheit.

Now a look at other news ..................

------------------Oxley
White Inniss Ferdinand Barrett Coker
------Atkinson Leonard Mcglashan
-----------------Cox
--------------Fortune

I expect Mooney, Mclaughlin and Woodsworth in there instead though

Does anyone need a lift to Rochdale. At the moment there is only 2 of us in a decent size car, so if you want to team up PM me.

Back