• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Upminster Blue

Manager
Difference between the two sides was a wonder goal (Jones wouldn't score again from that position if he tried a 1,000 times) and a very dubious penalty. But that shouldn't disguise what was a truly appalling performance. Rochdale were not a patch on Cheltenham or Lincoln and were there for the taking with just an average performance. I will be amazed if they stay up.

Despite having the majority of possession we played with no cohesion, little thought and virtually no movement. Same old story of being unable to break down a packed defence sitting on the edge of their box (especially after the sending off). Predictably we resorted to lumping lots of long balls forward which were meat and drink to Rochdale. These tactics were not helped by the complete absence of movement from Gray - he should be ashamed by his afternoon's efforts (and in fact his season's efforts to date - have so far seen him six times and am not impressed by his work rate).

Edwards was again poor and looks a bit of a liability. But then again, no one came out of the game with any credit and I would be hard pushed to name a man of the match (possibly Barrett was the most deserving - he tried to inject some passion and drive into the team in the last 30 minutes).

Prior limped off injured early in the second half - doesn't look too promising. As I feared at the start of the season, we may not get many games out fo him.

A good away turnout of about 200 away fans who backed the team well apart from a few cat calls at the final whistle. Understandable after a 250 mile journey and the lame performance.

Of the six games I've seen this season, the only goal I've seen is the (dubious) penalty at Lincoln and we have rarely looked like scoring. I think this just about sums us up at the moment - completely lacking any ideas and craft in the final third. The players seem like strangers to each other.

Things need to change quick otherwise we are in big trouble.

For what it's worth, player ratings:

Bart 6 - no chance with either goal. Had little else to do.
Nicolou 6 - quite game, didn't do anything. Wasn't an attacking force at all.
Jupp 6 - worked hard but tired in the second half. Crucial slip resulting in the ball being given away which led to the penalty.
Edwards 5 - see above, lacking confidence?
Prior 6 - ok,usual solid game until limping off injured
Pettefer 5 - struggled to get involved. Had little impact.
Maher 5 - lethargic, talked himself into a booking (again!).
Bentley 5 - ran around a lot but to little effect.
Gower 5 - seems off the pace to me. Several misplaced passes and struggled to beat his man.
Broughton 5 - worked hard with little effect. Missed a great chance in the first half (although it was a good save).
Gray 3 - see above, he needs a kick up the backside and should be dropped for next week.

Subs
Barrett 6.5 - see above. Very unfortunate to have conceded the penalty.
Duddfiedl 6 - missed one good chance from 5 yards (it was more difficult than it looked - the ball came quickly to him and was slightly behind him). Made some good runs and generally looked more of a forward than anyone else at the club. Must start on Saturday.

Things can only get better (I hope!)

sad.gif

I must admit to being a tad surprised by your poor start but with so many new players it will take time to gel.

I think you will turn Cambridge over, we drew on Tuesday with them and I wasnt overly impressed with them.

Reading many of your comments regarding your recent results, I am surprised that Tilson is still being backed by many of your fans. He would be getting a severe caning by our fans if he was in charge of the O's.

Anyway, keep your chins up - 3 points are coming your way on Saturday....

we wouldnt have scored in a month of sundays . That team out there today was a bloody disgrace . Gray wandered around like a lost sole . Gower must have had an op on his footballing brain not his knee as he ran up countless blind allyswithout a clue our midfield must have stayed on the coach as most of the time they were absent without leave . Dont anybody make excuses for this crap about jelling or the need for understandind . Because this side played sloppy football the same way they did last sataday only ROCHDALE WAS THE SIDE WITH 10 MEN but you wouldnt have beleved it but we sat and suffered it at a total cost of 60 pounds .

[b said:
Quote[/b] (petejan @ Aug. 14 2004,23:09)]Dont anybody make excuses for this crap about jelling or the need for understandind .
Well considering most teams in the football league have had major changes to there squad but manage to put out a acceptable performance isn't a excuse.

There is no Tilly out from me and won't be after Saturday or the game after, but if this continues much longer he will have questions to answer and fast.

How dare Wiggy state that Gray was hiding and uninterested in the friendlies. Starting to look a poor mans Barrington Belgrave. Puts away a nice penalty though!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TheLittleGazette @ Aug. 14 2004,23:53)]However, our new third kit would have made you feel right at home Luke!
Ouch, be fair Mark.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TheLittleGazette @ Aug. 15 2004,00:04)]Not unfair! You openly follow teams in red shirts with white sleeves!
shhhh

tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wiggy @ Aug. 14 2004,23:57)]How dare Wiggy state that Gray was hiding and uninterested in the friendlies. Starting to look a poor mans Barrington Belgrave. Puts away a nice penalty though!
This board is all about expressing opinions Wiggy and the jury is still out on Gray, you may have a point you may not its too early to say. However the fact that you are so negative and only interested in slagging players off that you are meant to be supporting is what really annoys me and clearly everyone else on here too.

I'm a REAL fan and proud to support Southend United, I always will be - you I'm not so sure.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ Aug. 15 2004,01:19)]
How dare Wiggy state that Gray was hiding and uninterested in the friendlies. Starting to look a poor mans Barrington Belgrave. Puts away a nice penalty though!
This board is all about expressing opinions Wiggy and the jury is still out on Gray, you may have a point you may not its too early to say. However the fact that you are so negative and only interested in slagging players off that you are meant to be supporting is what really annoys me and clearly everyone else on here too.

I'm a REAL fan and proud to support Southend United, I always will be - you I'm not so sure.

By the way you say you've put £300 on us to be relegated this season, what kind of a "supporter" does that? I think thats a disgrace.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wiggy @ Aug. 14 2004,23:57)]How dare Wiggy state that Gray was hiding and uninterested in the friendlies. Starting to look a poor mans Barrington Belgrave.
Unless I'm gravely mistaken, it seems to me that your only concern is your own self-promotion; you clearly couldn't care less whether or not Southend United achieve anything.

You've even started referring to yourself into the third person - conclusive evidence of the fact that your ego is the only thing that matters to you.

Since this isn't an "I love wiggy" board, why do you post on here?

rock.gif

Matt

Back