• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Xàbia Shrimper

Co-founder of ShrimperZone
DEVELOPMENT CONTROL COMMITTEE
25 January 2007

Creation of three training pitches, one all-weather floodlit training pitch, a flood attenuation pond and surface car-park of 454 spaces. Land north of Smithers Chase Sutton Road Rochford

Applicant: Southend United Football Club

Zoning: Green Belt and Grade 1 Agricultural Land

RECOMMENDATION

It is proposed that this committee RESOLVES to REFUSE the application for the following reasons:-

1. The Rochford District Local Plan First Review shows the site to be within the Metropolitan Green Belt and the proposed car park and associated lighting columns are considered to be contrary to Policy R1 of the Local Plan and to Policy C2 of the Essex and Southend-on-Sea Replacement Structure Plan. Within the Green Belt, as defined in these policies, planning permission will not be given, except in very special circumstances, for developments that affect the openness or integrity of the Green Belt.

2. The application is considered to be deficient in detail in terms of sustainable drainage information such to support the claim that the development would not affect flooding. In the absence of this information it is considered that the proposed development in connection with the development of the stadium scheme may give rise to localised flooding on the site or up/down stream, and would be contrary to the advice of PPS25 "Development and Flood Risk".

3. The application is considered to be deficient in detail in terms of the phasing of the development with the stadium scheme and the interconnectivity between the stadium and the training pitches. In the absence of this information it is considered that there may not be the continued existence of recreational facilities of sufficient quantity and extent in suitable sustainable locations which would be detrimental to the recreational/sporting facilities for this club. In addition the lack of connectivity between the stadium and the training pitches may make the training pitches less desirable to use, and put pressure on the use of the overspill car park and also pressure for further development closer to the training pitches which would further erode the openness of this part of the Green Belt.

Last edited:
Iam not worried about that, the Club alway find another training site to build if it get rejected. The main thing that the ground got approved!

Iam not worried about that, the Club alway find another training site to build if it get rejected. The main thing that the ground got approved!

The main issue there is the draining, without it the stadium cant go ahead.

However if Ron Martin can get 13-0 to get all what he got agreed today Im sure he is prepared for tomorrow.

The main issue there is the draining, without it the stadium cant go ahead.

However if Ron Martin can get 13-0 to get all what he got agreed today Im sure he is prepared for tomorrow.

I wrote about the Environment Agency's objection on drainage issues on another thread when someone alerted to their objection. The info submitted with the application was deficient with detail on this matter. I know wish i had contacted the agent (Savilles) and offered my services as i do this work to support applications day in and day out. It could have easily been sorted out in time following the objection.

However, the Green Belt issue really could be a show stopper. I don't think the pitches themselves would be such an issue, more the car parking and associated bits.

Hopefully the resounding approval today will have some postivie influence on the decision tomorrow. Both applications are inextricably linked in my opinion.

I doubt there will be to much of a hiccup now with Rochford...... There main argument according to Southend Council today is about Parking. There are several ammendments that Ron and his team have to face.....Which when questioned amongst councillors today i saw him nodding at ....The main hurdle is over im sure, its just a case of dotting the i's crossing the t's....I didnt stay for the debate on the Roots Hall but did ask Ron on the way out would the Stadium go ahead anyway, he said YES

I wrote about the Environment Agency's objection on drainage issues on another thread when someone alerted to their objection. The info submitted with the application was deficient with detail on this matter. I know wish i had contacted the agent (Savilles) and offered my services as i do this work to support applications day in and day out. It could have easily been sorted out in time following the objection.

However, the Green Belt issue really could be a show stopper. I don't think the pitches themselves would be such an issue, more the car parking and associated bits.

Hopefully the resounding approval today will have some postivie influence on the decision tomorrow. Both applications are inextricably linked in my opinion.

That was what was more or less said today. The main stumbling block as far as RC were/are concerned is the car parking. This may mean that Ron has already submitted revised plans or ammendments (like he did today regarding a proposed drop in retail space at FF) regarding the drainage concerns at the Rochford site.

Like a few others, I really cannot see RC putting this development to the sword when it has been so unanimously backed by SBC. There may well be provisions put in place, like todays 106 agreement, that enables the development to go ahead but I can't imagine they will outrightly refuse it.

Yep, dead right there. The second issue is easily remedied simply by providing further documentation and supplementary drawings. Since permission has been granted for the stadium, the third arguement is a non runner. A BIG problem is the green belt issue. As its a different Council, precedent from previous applications needs to be provided to warrant any arguement. Just because the stadium has been approved just next door means nothing here. Its what has been approved with the district that will probably decide whether we ave any chance of gaining permission.

Not at all

Other is a 'happy thread', this thread can be the concerned and objective one

(By the way, few careless spelling mistakes there, that's unlike you )

But Mike raises extremely valid points. There is no way this is a shoe in and Rochford Council will be under no pressure whatsoever to have their minds changed by RM or us against a report like this from one of their own Committees (which XS copied and pasted, hence the "spelling mistakes").

Not often XS and I see eye to eye on issues, not that there has ever been anything sinister in that, but I am right behind his scepticism on this one.

Today is fantastic news and a MASSIVE leap forward but there is still a nut to be cracked. One way or another I'm sure a comprimise will be found.

:D :D :D :D

By the way Einstein's smilies were deleted because it seems only four are allowed in one post. A suggestion for amendment please mods ?

I think for the first hour and a half today most of us thought we were a dead duck ......There will always be hurdles in life if u want to jump up.....I for one Now dont see to many .....

Have Faith

Oh and just add my opinion as an architect, I'd be surprised if we get permission tomorrow.

Fingers crossed. Ron Martin has achieved more than I thought he would today and I hope he has that under control as well.

I know nothing about these matters but looks to me like we cleared the biggest hurdle today so all going well we will clear the last one tomorrow.

The agreement has been on Sky Sports News and ITV anglia already so word is getting around !

I am today now more hopeful than yesterday on the plans being passed by RC however, I have to agree to some of the points you people have made earlier
1. RC are well known for refusing planning on green belt sites. I was in attendance at the chambers a few weeks ago on a planning issue - it was rejected, despite having reccomendations from government and strong support
2. There are issues regarding drainage. I have seen plans on the sewage drains and yes they go right smack bang in the middle of the site. I am also to understand there has been some controversity (excuse the spelling been a long day!) over who is going to pay for resiting of the drains

It will be interesting tomorrow that's for sure. I can understand RC's view though. Green Belt is supposed to be untouchable and if they let this one go through then it may set a precedent for future applications. Who knows.

Back