• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ron’s Latest Statement (24/9/20)

Classic Ron waffle ha gotta love him !
He has us constantly on the edge of our seats with signings, managers, CEO's, paying the taxman, paying the decorators, the groundsman, you name it. I just hope he pulls it off this time, everyone gets paid and SUFC live on with a few more signings and a boring season mid table that the fans didnt get to see.
But this is Southend and its always a drama !
Great entertainment ron

Once you accept Ron for what he is, I found the BBC Essex interview interesting. Ron Martin has managed to control a football club for 22 years without managing to understand football fans at all, which I imagine takes some doing.

I'm sure the lawyers, police officers, teachers, documentary producers, musicians and academics that I watch Southend with, many of whom are doubtless more intelligent than Ron and all of whom would like some kind of tangible reassurance on the future of the club they love, appreciate being condescended in this way, but as I say that is Ron and if he doesn't get it now he never will.

Anyway, as I say you have to suspend this and try and look at it objectively and some of the answers like the one about season ticket money were well worth listening to. He sounded upbeat and confident that the debt would be paid, but I didn't really find the answers re the embargo to explain things - I think Nick could have pressed him harder on that.

Ron always comes across so much better when he doesn't make sideswipes and bold predictions. The radio interview was much more effective than the statement.

Indeed, and there might be a lot of players to choose from. But we've been here before: the players that are unattached tend to be short of match fitness. Assuming the embargo is lifted at the next hearing and we sign players the day after (which is unlikely) then they won't really be be fit until November...unless they're in training with us before then.

At which point, we could be very much cut adrift in a similar manner to last season.

1) Signing players - no proper due diligence on injury records
2) Outside interests - Brown was still doing 5live commentaries.
3) Now he says they didn’t put enough hours in - that can only be their employer‘s fault.
I believe that was agreed to as he accepted a lower salary than he would have otherwise been entitled to. Classic Ron pay off.

Once you accept Ron for what he is, I found the BBC Essex interview interesting. Ron Martin has managed to control a football club for 22 years without managing to understand football fans at all, which I imagine takes some doing.

I'm sure the lawyers, police officers, teachers, documentary producers, musicians and academics that I watch Southend with, many of whom are doubtless more intelligent than Ron and all of whom would like some kind of tangible reassurance on the future of the club they love, appreciate being condescended in this way, but as I say that is Ron and if he doesn't get it now he never will.

Anyway, as I say you have to suspend this and try and look at it objectively and some of the answers like the one about season ticket money were well worth listening to. He sounded upbeat and confident that the debt would be paid, but I didn't really find the answers re the embargo to explain things - I think Nick could have pressed him harder on that.

Ron always comes across so much better when he doesn't make sideswipes and bold predictions. The radio interview was much more effective than the statement.
Are your mates and you the lot that stand near the away end giving large to the away fans?

So I think (i may be wrong), Ron's last communication with the fans was on September 24th where he finished off stating, "... I, as promised will give you a further update next Thursday and that will continue for the foreseeable future."

So what happened?

I know he gave Rhys the task of being his mouthpiece once, but what about these weekly communications from Ron?

A promise broken? Surely not.

Egg on face? Possibly.

Still, another part of me is thinking 'what's the point anyway when whatever he comes out with is so questionable at best.

Nine days to the winding up order......but Ron will definitely pay something and we will get another extension. Will it be long enough to secure Fossetts Farm though....? I suspect he has stopped the clock as the EU say.

Aren't we back in court in a weeks time? I'm now getting a bit concerned that there has been no funding come through from the EFL to support clubs while fans aren't allowed in, perhaps Ronald can discuss that in his statement after the court appearance.

Aren't we back in court in a weeks time? I'm now getting a bit concerned that there has been no funding come through from the EFL to support clubs while fans aren't allowed in, perhaps Ronald can discuss that in his statement after the court appearance.
Will be too preoccupied planning for next year in league 1 ? !!!!

Back