• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

RON: CANCEL THE REST OF THE SEASON

It fairer- nothing can be fair. Its not possible. Its the least worst option given the idea of completing the season is for the fairies, and just taking current positions is unfair to even more clubs. At least the solution keeps all the clubs in the relegation places that might have got out happy, and all the clubs in the current automatics. Leaves the least number of upset clubs.

Why do you believe the idea of completing the season is for the fairies? Today's decision to postpone The Euros till 2021 makes it all the more likely this season will be completed. Most commentators, journalists, pundits and, I trust, supporters are in favour of completing the season and it is the ONLY satisfactory action. Even if it's September before the play-offs are completed then finish 19-20 before contemplating 20-21.
I have no feelings either way about Mr Martin but he can be added to Karen Brady and Paul Barber on the list of "they would say that wouldn't they?"

If everyone listens to the advice and stays in as much as possible, we might return to ‘some sort of’ normal a bit quicker than people think. Best option for all is to complete the season. Ending it now would leave a very bitter taste and isn’t fair. Ok if the situation develops and we move into May/June with the same restrictions in place then yes, null and void it or end it.

With the Euro’s being cancelled, it frees up clubs to finish the season in May/June/July with a small break and start again late August?

Even if it’s beihind closed doors and ifollow/TV etc.

You honestly believe that thru the peak period of the virus games will take place, with many multiple times more infections than now? No sport is taking place currently- even behind closed doors, no emergency services can be allocated to events, just not going to happen. However, as I have said the EFL will make it a death by a thousand cuts with repeat extensions to the suspension, so when it doesn't happen it wont be bacause a hasty decision was made and no-one will be able to say they didn't try.

Of course I could be wrong- but the suggestion is the current restrictions will be in place for a number of months.

Why do you believe the idea of completing the season is for the fairies? Today's decision to postpone The Euros till 2021 makes it all the more likely this season will be completed. Most commentators, journalists, pundits and, I trust, supporters are in favour of completing the season and it is the ONLY satisfactory action. Even if it's September before the play-offs are completed then finish 19-20 before contemplating 20-21.
I have no feelings either way about Mr Martin but he can be added to Karen Brady and Paul Barber on the list of "they would say that wouldn't they?"

Maybe the season will be completed in Sept- maybe the 20/21 season will start at the beginning of Nov and be finished in time for the Euros next June. Maybe the large percentage of players whose contracts end at the end of June will negotiate new contracts to support all this - I don't know. No-one knows. Its all opinion and only time will tell. There is nothing wrong with you holding on to the hope the season will finish. My opinion is just that the chances of it happening are vanishingly small.

The Euros are not being played in June because they see no prospect of being able to play the games in June- not to make way for something else.

Your not alone on here. Some peoples hatred of Ron is so strong they would rather we go bust as a club because in their mind that would hurt Ron, which it wont anyway.....Its says a lot more about them than it does about Ron.
That's a ridiculous statement and an insult as people are well aware that it wouldn't hurt Ron because he can just build on RH.

The Euros are not being played in June because they see no prospect of being able to play the games in June- not to make way for something else.

And there’s the thing. Anybody who thinks the Euros being postponed is to make way for domestic games is off their rocker. It ain’t happening. Time to start coming to terms.

All clinging to straws, the only right outcome is to finish this season even if it takes to the end of the year to do it. Up and down the country people have paid good money to watch football league matches, what most are suggesting makes all the games so far little more than friendlies. I for one don't watch friendlies and at the very least would want a refund of the outstanding games I've paid for on my season card.
If the season runs well over, so what, of course there's issues of players contracts expiring, they would need to be extended by what ever is needed to complete the season and the EFL would need to find money to enable clubs to do that.
Nulling and voiding the season really isn't a sane option and only being championed by fans and owners of clubs at the bottom of respective leagues

Your not alone on here. Some peoples hatred of Ron is so strong they would rather we go bust as a club because in their mind that would hurt Ron, which it wont anyway.....Its says a lot more about them than it does about Ron.

I don’t hate Ron at all, and I certainly don’t hope we go bust. I just wish he would shut his mouth occasionally.

I also believe in justice, hence why I hope we go down, because we 100% deserve to.

He couldn't wait to get his tuppence worth in could he.

You know what, I actually hope we are relegated. If ever a team deserved to be it is us this season - to somehow escape due to a global crisis where people are dying or losing their livelihoods would leave a bitter taste in my mouth.

The thing is that he's correct and your hated for him won't change that.

All clinging to straws, the only right outcome is to finish this season even if it takes to the end of the year to do it. Up and down the country people have paid good money to watch football league matches, what most are suggesting makes all the games so far little more than friendlies. I for one don't watch friendlies and at the very least would want a refund of the outstanding games I've paid for on my season card.
If the season runs well over, so what, of course there's issues of players contracts expiring, they would need to be extended by what ever is needed to complete the season and the EFL would need to find money to enable clubs to do that.
Nulling and voiding the season really isn't a sane option and only being championed by fans and owners of clubs at the bottom of respective leagues

Agree with this. I don’t see the obsession with having to finish this season before next is due to start. We just pick up where we left off, be that in 3 weeks, 3 months, or, God forbid, 3 years.

Why do you believe the idea of completing the season is for the fairies? Today's decision to postpone The Euros till 2021 makes it all the more likely this season will be completed.

BBC Sport reported earlier that all Championship clubs want to play out the season, where-as League 1 & 2 clubs are more worried about the financial loss they could incur, which is understandable.

Not true. It’s to allow domestic leagues and European competitions to finish. If we are still in a June/July with no domestic sport, then I will be amazed.

Hopefully EFL and other authorities will sit down and work out a fair system that's beneficial to the majority of all clubs.But regrettably their will be some clubs that will disagree.As the saying goes you cant please some people all of the time only some of the time

BBC Sport reported earlier that all Championship clubs want to play out the season, where-as League 1 & 2 clubs are more worried about the financial loss they could incur, which is understandable.

And this is the thing. People don’t think about the lower league clubs in this. Completing the season no matter when things restart when people are weary from what’s gone on and when the vast majority of the clubs resuming their seasons will have nowt to play for is a recipe for lower crowds and more financial trouble. The quicker they can get next season started and ensure that it is played in full, the better. That to me is critical to the futures of clubs and outweighs any sporting implications that might result from an unprecedented response (cancelling the rest of the season) to an unprecedented situation.

And this is the thing. People don’t think about the lower league clubs in this. Completing the season no matter when things restart when people are weary from what’s gone on and when the vast majority of the clubs resuming their seasons will have nowt to play for is a recipe for lower crowds and more financial trouble. The quicker they can get next season started and ensure that it is played in full, the better. That to me is critical to the futures of clubs and outweighs any sporting implications that might result from an unprecedented response (cancelling the rest of the season) to an unprecedented situation.
Playing behind close doors though wont help smaller clubs, it is a very delicate situation. So if fans are to be allowed in it has to be done when safe to do so as that is paramount. If behind close doors clubs will face the same issues as now, possibly worse with bonus for goals, clean sheets etc (if they are in contracts).

Yes, there is an "upstairs-downstairs" situation in UK professional football and those in the top tier rarely show much concern about the lower tier.

Playing behind close doors though wont help smaller clubs, it is a very delicate situation. So if fans are to be allowed in it has to be done when safe to do so as that is paramount. If behind close doors clubs will face the same issues as now, possibly worse with bonus for goals, clean sheets etc (if they are in contracts).

To add to your point. It seems that as supporters a few (and sorry if I misunderstand) actually regard their entertainment as the priority and they want their money back if its not provided (screw the impact on the clubs...). Just because some players are well paid we would do well to remember that many at L1 & L2 level aren't. Neither are all the team staff and physios. Some might not find it reasonable to force, at the height of the outbreak in June/July/Aug, these players and staff to train together to be fit and ready for games, and travel large distances together in coaches around the country, and play games without access to the emergency services at the grounds just to entertain them. And one squad member goes down with the suspected virus, then the rest go into to isolation for 14 days? Each and every time..So it just ain't going to happen until we are well past the peak.

Others then say well I want the season finished even if it is at Xmas! Well we can start next season in Jan, the Euros are June- so no 20/21 season? or half a season playing each team only once? Hence, Ron reasonably saying probably we need to focus and protecting next season and ensuring as much as possible that is not affected.

Some are desperate for this season to end because they think it will avoid relegation (some even because it will ensure it..). Some because it won't take away the chance of promotion. I like to think (and maybe this is me being way too optimistic about my fellow supporters) that the majority are just accepting reality, want everyone including the players and staff safe, the club to survive, and actually at this time what league we are in next year really is not the most important thing.

The point in your second paragraph is totally unfair though as those in automatic places will not have played the same teams in the places just below. For example whoever is third in League One might not have playes at home to Southend and Bolton yet whereas the team above has and has still to go away to Peterborough, Sunderland etc.....

Of course it's unfair. Anything short of continuing the season to its conclusion will benefit some at the expense of others. Nothing will be perfect, but it is a sensible option.

You can't please all of the people all of the time.

Back