• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

RON: CANCEL THE REST OF THE SEASON

Having heard Boris on the radio just now saying that it will be 12 weeks at the earliest before we 'turn the tide', therefore I can see no other option other than to abandon the season. There are 'experts' on the wireless saying that even if that is the case, we will not return to normal before the end of September.
I can foresee changes to reduce next season as well as curtailing this one.

Surely there doesn’t have to be a month? Basically the players are having their break now. Say for example, we start playing in June. That’s almost 3 months without a game, or training etc.

There will have to be a break of some sorts obviously, to allow for transfers, contract extensions and stuff, but I would guess maybe 2 weeks max.
Then you start playing again by, say, the end of May and keeping going until the following May?
That's 12 months continuously rather than 10 - and two weeks to re-seed pitch, complete any Hall maintenance, transfers, contracts, season tickets - and Blues don't have a CEO.
Best of luck with 14 days - even full out!

We’re told the peak of the virus will be late June... that’s just the height of it, there still needs to be time for it to flush out.

GCSE and A-levels have been cancelled... to me that’s a clear sign that the government are fully aware that the nation will be restricted until latter half of summer.

How anyone can still seriously think the current season will complete is beyond me.

We’re told the peak of the virus will be late June... that’s just the height of it, there still needs to be time for it to flush out.

GCSE and A-levels have been cancelled... to me that’s a clear sign that the government are fully aware that the nation will be restricted until latter half of summer.

How anyone can still seriously think the current season will complete is beyond me.
Because they've said it will complete, and rightfully so. Everyone clinging on escaping relegation by a default now needs to take a reality check

Because they've said it will complete, and rightfully so. Everyone clinging on escaping relegation by a default now needs to take a reality check
Let's see, can't see it myself, just the EFL hoping for the best, but the risk of not having a season next season will have its own complications and teams up in arms. Don't be suprised that it is voided....

Can you ask them to say Coronavirus will disappear on May 1st also? They clearly have extraordinary powers to determine what will and wont happen, and with great certainty, so we should start getting them on the daily new conferences rather than the 'experts' who clearly know nothing..

The season will be finished one way or another no matter how long it takes. You can't, in my opinion, not have relegations etc. It also opens up potential legal issues.

The season will be finished one way or another no matter how long it takes. You can't, in my opinion, not have relegations etc. It also opens up potential legal issues.

There will be legal issues whichever way the EFL decide to go. No win for anyone!

The legal issues you are suggesting don't come from relegations (clubs won't sue because they didn't go down but because they didn't go up). Hence the suggestion that the Premier League grows to 22 clubs and there are promotions from automatic places but not relegations down the structure. This is probably the least worst in terms of legals- if you relegated Aston Villa whilst 2 points off safety with game in hand for example I imagine legals would get very excited.

Of course its absolutely better to finish the season but the "season will be finished one way or another no matter how long it takes" lasts along as it doesn't have to collide with reality. Remember the Olympics are absolutely going ahead- postponement has not even been discussed. You might want to book your flights to Tokyo now...

The legal issues you are suggesting don't come from relegations (clubs won't sue because they didn't go down but because they didn't go up). Hence the suggestion that the Premier League grows to 22 clubs and there are promotions from automatic places but not relegations down the structure. This is probably the least worst in terms of legals- if you relegated Aston Villa whilst 2 points off safety with game in hand for example I imagine legals would get very excited.

Of course its absolutely better to finish the season but the "season will be finished one way or another no matter how long it takes" lasts along as it doesn't have to collide with reality. Remember the Olympics are absolutely going ahead- postponement has not even been discussed. You might want to book your flights to Tokyo now...
Nope, the Olympics will be postponed, just that the IOC and Japanese Govt are in denial at the mo.

So all levels of Rugby below the Premiership have had the season cancelled including Championship where I think there were 7 matches outstanding for most clubs.

I think the league will be cancelled, and all league positions will stay as they are . But with no promotion or relegation. The top of each league will be crowned champion. Seems the most logical to me, until someone points out the flaw in my logic

I think the league will be cancelled, and all league positions will stay as they are . But with no promotion or relegation. The top of each league will be crowned champion. Seems the most logical to me, until someone points out the flaw in my logic

Plenty of teams will fire up the legalities of missing out on the playoffs with games to spare. There is probably 6 or 7 teams in the Championship that could still make the playoffs.

Plenty of teams will fire up the legalities of missing out on the playoffs with games to spare. There is probably 6 or 7 teams in the Championship that could still make the playoffs.
Everyone is looking for the perfect solution- the least worst is all that is available. This minimises the number of potential litigants to increasingly optimistic cases. Clubs will probably in such a scenario be doomed to disappointment as the EFL would only need to show they acted reasonably given the unavoidable circumstances over which they had no control. They could reasonably argue the any normal person would consider their least worst option the best available. They don’t need to show there weren’t alternatives.

They may do, but in the current climate most courts would not take it too seriously as its just a game of football and there are bigger things to worry about.

All insurance policies are voided by what is called an 'act of God', which is a bit retro if you ask me, but ensures no one could have predicted said 'act', which of course protects the companies.
If this isn't one of those - what is?
You can empty Temple Bar and throw all the legal eagles into a court you want, but given the circumstances, any club suing one way or the other is going to get short shrift from a judge and jury.
Finish the season? So, at what point does that impact on the following?
If you start 2020-21 late, when do you catch up?
Logically, never.
The season has extended over the decades. In 1963, it began August 24, but that was before the EFL Trophy and group stages etc.
So you could cancel that, but where do you stand with sponsors etc?
That's when the legals would move in over breaking contracts.
The PL and EFL will continue to whistle in the dark for as long as they can get away with it, but if the government are predicting 12 weeks lockdown, how can the football authorities not follow suit?

Back