• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

RON: CANCEL THE REST OF THE SEASON

CP's mate, has called it about right. the decisions needed are BIG and need to be made by the person at the VERY TOP, and as is normal, that person will want to leave it until as much as is known can be assessed and double checked; which is not now, or in a few weeks.
So it is educated guessing time for everyone.
For me, this season has just a few certainties, chief is that Liverpool are run away Champs, us and BWFC are relegated; not much else is anymore than a fair probability, (maybe MCFC runers up).
With no nailed on promotion 99% 'ers then it is "as you were" for 20/21 season.

They have bought some time by cancelling it to 30th April. A lot more will be known by then.
Forgive me, but a lot more is known now.
China has reported no new locally transmitted cases for the third day in a row.
Their first case REPORTED - a key word - was December 31.
Let's assume they were in denial long before that, as also reported.
So the maths suggest another two months at least before any abate here.
And that also assumes no one at clubs is still suffering.
Maybe, but it's a big maybe, you start again at the end of May, you still only finish towards the end of June.
A month's break? It's feasible, but I can see complications from here to eventide.

It would only take ONE staff or player to have sore throat in the build up to a season restart and then another 2 week isolation could be back.
If my scenario, as above, is remotely possible then would we be playing out our season if the alternative was to postpone and then void?

I will say, its starting to look possible, that the 2020-2021 Season COULD start on time.
If we abandon this season, and put all the effort into planning for the next.
At the moment, don't say, who is going to be promoted or relegated, so clubs cant at the moment undertake legal action, if they don't know what league they will be in.
Although they do know. 2019/2020 season is over, and the proposed start date 0f 2020/2021
Abandon, the League Cup, Johnson Paint Trophy. F.A. Cup replays and the Premier mid season break.
Play the 2019/2020 Johnson's Paint Trophy Final Only (finalist know} next season.
If and its an big if, an we start on time, decide who goes up or down (if we take that action) close to the start of the season.
Its more important to fight this deadly virus than argue who is Promoted/Relegated.
Yes its a part fudge, but at least clubs can focus on a proposed Start date, if its delayed, then decide when the extra games would be played during the 2020/2021 season.

Forgive me, but a lot more is known now.
China has reported no new locally transmitted cases for the third day in a row.
Their first case REPORTED - a key word - was December 31.
Let's assume they were in denial long before that, as also reported.
So the maths suggest another two months at least before any abate here.
And that also assumes no one at clubs is still suffering.
Maybe, but it's a big maybe, you start again at the end of May, you still only finish towards the end of June.
A month's break? It's feasible, but I can see complications from here to eventide.

by that logic, we should also be skeptical about what they are reporting today. I’m in favour of that approach. As such, no new locally transmitted infections for three days running is about as reliable as a 1970s Alfa Romeo.

#chinaliespeopledie

If anyone believes what China are saying now, they need their head read.

I for one second don’t think we will get any sport whatsoever until May/June at the very very earliest, and the chances of this season finishing properly are pretty remote, but it could happen. Who knows at the moment.

I think the antibodies test to see if you have had it or not, could be a game changer to getting the country back moving again.

I suspect the season has now finished for the year and the League will no doubt come up with some plan regarding promotions and relegation etc.
If we are truly optimistic and even hopeful they may consider just restarting the season again in August and leave teams where they are

I feel we are in this for the long run, it may be the case that the 20/21 season may not start and be abandoned. They have to be certain that its under control, and not risk another outbreak. Boris has come out and said measures would be likely for 12 months.

I feel we are in this for the long run, it may be the case that the 20/21 season may not start and be abandoned. They have to be certain that its under control, and not risk another outbreak. Boris has come out and said measures would be likely for 12 months.
I think this has some mileage.
But, finishing this season will only take two months.
Let's say you start again in November, for argument's sake, and finish in January. What happens from there to the following August?

I think this has some mileage.
But, finishing this season will only take two months.
Let's say you start again in November, for argument's sake, and finish in January. What happens from there to the following August?
Maybe nothing we miss a whole season or play a season of just 23 matches. If we survive that is.

This has shown the huge divide between the "haves and have nots" in football, and could be a catalyst for big changes.
Smaller local leagues? Regional play offs?
The traditional pyramid structure was killed by the big money so a re think is overdue for league 1,2 and Conf.

Looking at the example that F1 has set shows how out of touch football has become, they have not only cancelled races, including Monaco, but the teams are using their manufacturing facilities to to make ventilators.

Surely football clubs could use their collective wealth to assist in some way? even opening getting coaches to do online fitness classes would help. with homeschooling going on having players join in would get more kids to engage.

lets face it kids are more likely to listen to paul pogba than to mum and dad

RFU cancel ALL their competitions.
Leading the way?
Maybe.
The ramifications are being debated by the RFU on who goes up/down etc.
Saracens were relegated from the Prem a while back with their 35-point deduction, but it will be interesting to see what kicks off if clubs are disadvantaged by a committee, despite protestations to"ensure fair and balanced outcomes".
We'll see...

Looking at the example that F1 has set shows how out of touch football has become, they have not only cancelled races, including Monaco, but the teams are using their manufacturing facilities to to make ventilators.

Surely football clubs could use their collective wealth to assist in some way? even opening getting coaches to do online fitness classes would help. with homeschooling going on having players join in would get more kids to engage.

AS Roma's players have all donated a day's wages (woopydo, but at least it's a start)

lets face it kids are more likely to listen to paul pogba than to mum and dad
Coaches could do either distance skill drills or distance group sessions on football based fitness and training.
If it keeps kids from huddling together in their usual kick abouts it might be a help.
Where is the rain when you want it?

Maybe.
The ramifications are being debated by the RFU on who goes up/down etc.
Saracens were relegated from the Prem a while back with their 35-point deduction, but it will be interesting to see what kicks off if clubs are disadvantaged by a committee, despite protestations to"ensure fair and balanced outcomes".
We'll see...

I was talking to one of the senior partners at my law firm the other day, and he said he can guarantee this season will be finished. The amount of litigation that would be launched in any other senario would be huge and could effectivly shut football down for far longer than COVID-19. The season is just to far gone for there to be any other fair means of ending it than actually ending it. There will have to be agreement over what happens to next season obviously but we can rest assured whatever happens we will be relegated this season unless we win all our remaining 9 matches and stay up fair and square but even that is stretching the maths quite far!!

I still feel the league will still be voided and written off. It seems the easiest solution. Bit like when a match is abandoned half way through like when the floodlights fail( Remember Aldershot?) the result doesn't stand and has to be replayed. The league will have to be replayed in September if we are lucky.

Back