• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

RON: CANCEL THE REST OF THE SEASON

Evening Echo

The News
SOUTHEND United chairman Ron Martin feels it would make ‘perfect sense’ to cancel the remainder of the season due to the coronavirus pandemic.

More...

He couldn't wait to get his tuppence worth in could he.

You know what, I actually hope we are relegated. If ever a team deserved to be it is us this season - to somehow escape due to a global crisis where people are dying or losing their livelihoods would leave a bitter taste in my mouth.

The season will be cancelled and where the teams are will be their final positions. So Ron, we're going down to Chinatown hopefully not to eat a bat.

He couldn't wait to get his tuppence worth in could he.

You know what, I actually hope we are relegated. If ever a team deserved to be it is us this season - to somehow escape due to a global crisis where people are dying or losing their livelihoods would leave a bitter taste in my mouth.

Your not alone on here. Some peoples hatred of Ron is so strong they would rather we go bust as a club because in their mind that would hurt Ron, which it wont anyway.....Its says a lot more about them than it does about Ron.

Hitler - Let's call WW2 a draw.
It was too late for him to call it anything by the end.
And considering Germany's economic recovery, not to mention the advent of the Soviet bloc, I'm wondering who won - although perhaps democracy did.
Help! For one minute I thought I was on Shrimperzone. It must have all been a dream...:Smile:

Not having a 'pop' at Ron, but wonder if he'd have said the same thing, if we were 3rd or 4th, with a game or 2 in hand over the top 2?.

I disagree with Ron Martin's opinion that it would make "perfect sense" to cancel the remainder of the season.

The remaining 12 games can be played over a 6 week period. Until such time as it is deemed impossible to finish the remaining games due to the coronavirus, we should wait and see.

Ron is right- the fact that it potentially benefits us does not stop him being right. It merely opens him up to the accusation of self-interest fair or not. It also doesn't disallow him from an opinion.

Actually I think you will find he indicated support for the solution that has been mentioned here and is gaining traction in other countries like Germany. That is the season is cancelled. Those clubs in the current automatic places go up, the top division numbers increase by two and no relegations. So Aston Villa in the relegation zone two points behind and with a game in hand don't go down.

The fact that any of our supporters would want us to go down is beyond my comprehension- if you want fair then see the solution above, if you want us down because you hate the chairman or manager well the club is bigger and more important than both.

There will be no refunds on season tickets, it beyond the clubs control and why would anyone want to make the clubs already perilous position worse?

Anyway my two pennies worth- and apologies I'm not always great at spotting when people or being serious or not.

Ron is right- the fact that it potentially benefits us does not stop him being right. It merely opens him up to the accusation of self-interest fair or not. It also doesn't disallow him from an opinion.

Actually I think you will find he indicated support for the solution that has been mentioned here and is gaining traction in other countries like Germany. That is the season is cancelled. Those clubs in the current automatic places go up, the top division numbers increase by two and no relegations. So Aston Villa in the relegation zone two points behind and with a game in hand don't go down.

The fact that any of our supporters would want us to go down is beyond my comprehension- if you want fair then see the solution above, if you want us down because you hate the chairman or manager well the club is bigger and more important than both.

There will be no refunds on season tickets, it beyond the clubs control and why would anyone want to make the clubs already perilous position worse?

Anyway my two pennies worth- and apologies I'm not always great at spotting when people or being serious or not.

The point in your second paragraph is totally unfair though as those in automatic places will not have played the same teams in the places just below. For example whoever is third in League One might not have playes at home to Southend and Bolton yet whereas the team above has and has still to go away to Peterborough, Sunderland etc.....

The point in your second paragraph is totally unfair though as those in automatic places will not have played the same teams in the places just below. For example whoever is third in League One might not have playes at home to Southend and Bolton yet whereas the team above has and has still to go away to Peterborough, Sunderland etc.....

It fairer- nothing can be fair. Its not possible. Its the least worst option given the idea of completing the season is for the fairies, and just taking current positions is unfair to even more clubs. At least the solution keeps all the clubs in the relegation places that might have got out happy, and all the clubs in the current automatics. Leaves the least number of upset clubs.

I disagree with Ron Martin's opinion that it would make "good sense" (editing for accuracy) to cancel the remainder of the season.

The remaining 12 games can be played over a 6 week period. Until such time as it is deemed impossible to finish the remaining games due to the coronavirus, we should wait and see.

With the Euro’s being cancelled, it frees up clubs to finish the season in May/June/July with a small break and start again late August?

Even if it’s beihind closed doors and ifollow/TV etc.

Back