• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ron in court.

I think you have issues that require professional help.
Possibly, but more like he has never come across anyone remotely bad or evil, demented or terrifying.
Ron has some "toxicity" on the face of our clubs downfall over the last 10 years BUT if so then it is an unintended consequence of ill conceived business.

So you have never met met him yet choose to slag his family. Lets hope Mrs Martin, who always comes across as very nice, doesn't consider legal options against you.
Always comes across as very nice?? Do me a favour

I am a little disappointed The Echo hasn't canvassed any ex SUFC players for their opinions.

Stuart Thurgood insists....

Nile Ranger has mixed feelings on....

Michael Timlin saddened by...
Reading those names I reckon if Ron is found guilty and sentenced, then those players may well be contacted for their opinion.

Always comes across as very nice?? Do me a favour
An ex of mine knows her from years back and she was really nice and friendly when we bumped into her at some event.

I have had couple of chats with his son at games. Again friendly and nothing pretentious about him. Geoffrey King on the other hand is the complete opposite.

I have the same opinion about Ron as ORM. Some on here are making judgements based on myths, lies, what they read in newspapers. But mainly its their own twisted and bitter about life agenda...I would certainly trust Ron far more than them.

"Martin, chairman of Southend Utd since 2000, wore a black business suit and patterned tie"

Isn't that nice?

Good to know that our leader has not lost his sense of style despite all these problems

There was more in that article about what both of them were wearing than about the charges!!

An ex of mine knows her from years back and she was really nice and friendly when we bumped into her at some event.

I have had couple of chats with his son at games. Again friendly and nothing pretentious about him. Geoffrey King on the other hand is the complete opposite.

I have the same opinion about Ron as ORM. Some on here are making judgements based on myths, lies, what they read in newspapers. But mainly its their own twisted and bitter about life agenda...I would certainly trust Ron far more than them.
Thank you I wasnt commenting on other than Ron

I have also read a of folks on here who know of people who have had dealings with the wonderful, Ron, Always nice is not what I read.

Always nice in the zooms and passed communications, I dont think so, swearing at people and a rude demeanour, always nice, going across to the fans and risking a real dangerous situation? yes always nice

Always nice to us over the stadium over the past 20 years ? Still his promise to write off all the debt is nice, so I guess we dont owe him £19m after all

Always nice to each of us as Tax payers ? I dont take kindly to Fraudsters ( if found guilty ) Would you call Serious fraud always nice?

Your perception of Ron maybe needs a reboot but I get that you are one of the few who are mainly here to defend him at all cost for some reason
Alawys nice to the players wages wise, . always nice to HMRC and always nice as far as the Clubs reputation is concerned

Sorry I just had forgotten what a wonderful, lovely stand up kind of Guy Ron is

Unbelievable, always nice Ron , Not sure that will be his epitaph hsomehow

I have also read a of folks on here who know of people who have had dealings with the wonderful, Ron, Always nice is not what I read.

Always nice in the zooms and passed communications, I dont think so, swearing at people and a rude demeanour, always nice, going across to the fans and risking a real dangerous situation? yes always nice

Always nice to us over the stadium over the past 20 years ? Still his promise to write off all the debt is nice, so I guess we dont owe him £19m after all

Always nice to each of us as Tax payers ? I dont take kindly to Fraudsters ( if found guilty ) Would you call Serious fraud always nice?

Your perception of Ron maybe needs a reboot but I get that you are one of the few who are mainly here to defend him at all cost for some reason
Alawys nice to the players wages wise, . always nice to HMRC and always nice as far as the Clubs reputation is concerned

To be fair to @rigsby , he never said Ron was always nice, he was commenting on his wife...

Barry mate you would have been far better to say Whoops I missed the s on the end of Mr. Rather than a rambling 'straw man' lets have a dig at Rigsby post. Worth also remembering you were grizzling on here about not playing the poster just a few weeks ago.....Stones and Greenhouses come to mind.

In fact you sound just like Ron when asked a difficult question.....Anyway i must dash as its that time of year, annual accounts to be handed in. Obviously i want to pay as little as legally possible when it comes to tax

Rons biggest problem was that he wasn't good enough at not paying tax.

Amazon paid just £4M in corporation tax last year despite it's sales being worth over £20.5BN.

Google paid £50M in total despite revenues of £1.8BN.

Apple paid £9M in total despite sales of £1.1BN

When are the serious fraud squad going to take a good look at the companies that should be paying billions more a year rather than people like Ron who allegedly owe what is pocket change in comparison

Last edited:

Amazon paid just £4M in corporation tax last year despite it's sales being worth over £20.5BN.

When are the serious fraud squad going to take a good look at the companies that should be paying billions more a year rather than people like Ron who allegedly owe what is pocket change in comparison
Nothing those companies are doing is illegal or fraud, our tax laws aren't fit for purpose for multinationals because we tax on profit not sales, so the business companies do in the UK makes a borderline loss and then all the profit is technically made in a country with low tax rates. There's nothing illegal in that, our tax laws are outdated and big businesses take advantage of it. The fraud squad isn't looking at businesses like that because there's nothing illegal to look at, which isn't the case with Ron (if the allegations are proven to be true).

I think you're getting confused between tax avoidance and tax evasion, one of which is legal and the other is not.

I think you're getting confused between tax avoidance and tax evasion, one of which is legal and the other is not.
Hence my comment on Rons problem being not quite good enough at not paying tax.

Both avoidance and evasion stop money being available for public spending

I have never met him and do not know him at all.
In the course of my lifetime I have met at least one person who was irredeemably evil but I am still very well aware that even bad people are capable of good actions just like good persons can do bad things.
To state that anyone does not have 'even one ounce of worthwhile goodness' in them just does not tally with my life experience. Life is always a good deal more complicated than black or white.
On a personal level have a great deal of sympathy with Ron (and Geoff King) and their families. That does mean that I approve of all that they do but just that I am another imperfect human being.
While you rant they are paying a price regardless of the outcome of the case.
Whether that price represents justice or not is immaterial, as, life is very seldom fair.
Excellent post, could not agree more. None of us are in a position to be critical of anyone. We are all, as you say, imperfect human beings,

I

On Tuesday afternoon my wife paid our cleaner in cash ie straight in her pocket so no GST (Australian equivalent of VAT) paid on the transaction. Does that make us 'Fraudsters'? Is everything always so black and white?
If Ron and Geoff have committed a crimes no doubt the law of the land will deal with him in due course. That is what it is there for.
Ron has many faults but I would doubt he is evil or wholly bad.
In the meantime what reputation he had has been further tarnished by his recent troubles. Unlike if you ot I had been charged with similar offences because of his high profile (thanks to his association with SUFC) his court appearance was the subject of widespread publicity. This would have caused much anguish to people close to him
He is probably a driven ambitious man and this I suspect the crime he has been charged with was motivated by his drive and ambition.
A few hundred years ago perhaps Shakespeare would have written a play about him.
In 2021 we have given up on nuance and on Shrimperzone he is vilified by some as being some kind of especially reprehensible human being.
In a world populated by serial killers and sex offenders, where incest occurs, where organised crime is rife in all corners of the globe etc cheating on your tax seems to me to be on the low scale of anti social behaviour.
Weird.

I

On Tuesday afternoon my wife paid our cleaner in cash ie straight in her pocket so no GST (Australian equivalent of VAT) paid on the transaction. Does that make us 'Fraudsters'? Is everything always so black and white?
If Ron and Geoff have committed a crimes no doubt the law of the land will deal with him in due course. That is what it is there for.
Ron has many faults but I would doubt he is evil or wholly bad.
In the meantime what reputation he had has been further tarnished by his recent troubles. Unlike if you ot I had been charged with similar offences because of his high profile (thanks to his association with SUFC) his court appearance was the subject of widespread publicity. This would have caused much anguish to people close to him
He is probably a driven ambitious man and this I suspect the crime he has been charged with was motivated by his drive and ambition.
A few hundred years ago perhaps Shakespeare would have written a play about him.
In 2021 we have given up on nuance and on Shrimperzone he is vilified by some as being some kind of especially reprehensible human being.
In a world populated by serial killers and sex offenders, where incest occurs, where organised crime is rife in all corners of the globe etc cheating on your tax seems to me to be on the low scale of anti social behaviour.
Weird.
I think the weirdest thing is your post. Because there are sex offenders, we should not be concerned that our chairman is potentially going to prison for fraud? Its a serious offence and will carry a serious penalty if found guilty. Evading tax deprives the state of the money it needs to provide basic services. £5mil may not be a lot to the treasury but thats hardly the point....

Back