• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ron Martin - A disgrace!

I've met many 'owners' of clubs, and they tend to be those who have money to burn - and get burned!
Al Fayed at Fulham: Tony Fernandes at QPR come to immediate mind.
Neither were bad men as such, a little naive at the beginning, perhaps, but who still shelled out and had to rein in.
There were very few con men as such: Robert Maxwell; Blackpool fans think Karl Oyston; the American Terry Smith who sent Chester into oblivion; Spencer Trethewey at Aldershot, who reemerged in the non league under a different name!
But to call a man 'disgusting' as Westy has RM, is ridiculous.
Who in their right minds would buy Southend and its debt?
Very few make money out of football. How much are the owners of Man City owed should they decided to recall their money?
Enough to bankrupt the club instantly.

Last edited:
It appears Lee Harrison and Ben Clarkson haven't been paid looking at Twitter. Joking about playing a board game Payday while they wait.

As 'united we stand' pointed out, they were paid late on Friday and some banks would not process it until Monday morning. So we need to see what happens tomorrow before saying some still haven't been paid.

Also worth pointing out that there really are plenty of businesses who fail to pay staff on time when faced with cashflow issues, which this clearly is.

It would seem the greatest issue people have win Ron is that he doesn't have 'enough' money. He has a number of faults (thinking he can do the role of the CEO for example) and criticise him all you want for that, but I certainly won't be criticising him for not spending money he doesn't have.

Somehow he finds the cash the keep things going. No-one can say he doesn't invest on the playing/ coaching side and like others I have a degree of sympathy for Ron for this season - ultimately he's the one who has paid them to serve up the crap they have.

This cashflow issue (caused by a lack of games, games which would have seen good gates too) and poor performances putting the casual support off attending really has highlighted how the club does rely on Ron, like it or not.

Should some multi-billionaire offer him the return he seeks and invests stupid money make the club sustainable then I'm all for it, but there's hardly a queue of them lining up to do just that. Better the devil you know.

I think it's Martin who needs to get a grip.basis rule of business,always pay your staff on time no ifs or buts.

Unless you owe the HMRC serious amounts of money, i.e. PAYE / VAT monthly / quarterly payments,
I now we have had countless winding up orders etc... But if you get wound up by the HMRC there is no point in paying your staff anyway as there will be no company left to pay from.
From experience i ALWAYS paid the HMRC first and everything thing else second.

I spoke to several people who work for the club today who confirm they have not been paid yet. They also confirmed payments are behind not just recently and been told things which have not materialised.

As much as I love SUFC I can't give money towards this disgusting man.

Think we are better off trying to start again and boycott this man totally!
Rubbish! This man has done more for southend then any other! Without him we wouldn't have a club at all!! And he tries his best to keep this club afloat!! He does his best to appoint the best managers and backs them where possible!! Bond was **** but any chairman would have given him the job after the Sunderland result!! None of the first team this year deserve to get paid especially injured players who have been out for almost a year and half! They havent been performing on the pitch so hows that rons fault?? Hes not manager he didn't sign this crop of ****e!! Brown,powell,and bond did!! I know the stadium has rumbled on for years but i can imagine its not easy being able to build a new stadium but ron aint stopped trying! Without ron the club would go bust ! So be careful what u wish for.

Unless you owe the HMRC serious amounts of money, i.e. PAYE / VAT monthly / quarterly payments,
I now we have had countless winding up orders etc... But if you get wound up by the HMRC there is no point in paying your staff anyway as there will be no company left to pay from.
From experience i ALWAYS paid the HMRC first and everything thing else second.
Once you get a record of non payment of wages your staff start leaving simple as that,without them you will be in the **** with the Taxman.

The point missed by many on here, how do you entice new players , with our payment record
Bad enough having a ****e team and league position, even worse non payment of wages

We really need just three sticky threads on the forum:

1. For the ron out rons terrible brigade. lets move him on (and consequently go out of business.)

2. Ron is dodgy, lives on a wing and a prayer, but has also presided over good times. And somehow sticks it out despite his fossett cash dreams getting constantly squashed. (and without him we would go out of business.)

3. Rons hair.

#consortium #mattlockwood

As Paul Clarke said on BBC Essex on Saturday 'Who is going to sign for us if they think they wont get paid. Loans wont come in if the loaning club think Southend won't pay them...'

Staggered at some of the posters on here who feel it's acceptable for RM to not pay wages, as if it was some kind of optional thing to do. Really don't get the 'love in' for the man, he's had 20+ years to achieve his 'dream' of a new stadium and the reality is we are nowhere nearer.

I don't have a love in for him, don't think its acceptable not to pay the salaries, don't think its right to suggest striking to get paid as that means less money incoming and so still no pay. By the way not suggesting you are meaning I find it acceptable etc

The issue here for me is, if as ron says it was a mistake due to cash flow, then even if he could not get hold of the accountant to sort out till late last week, there should have been contact made to all staff to inform them of the issue. Then pay all of them a % pro rated so you don't have a situation where some are and some are not paid. Whilst it isnt great people are more likely to be understanding if they have the information.

The HMRC thing is harder as like I posted earlier I think that takes priority over everything, but that seems to be behind us now, lets hope so and we can move forward.

As Paul Clarke said on BBC Essex on Saturday 'Who is going to sign for us if they think they wont get paid. Loans wont come in if the loaning club think Southend won't pay them...'

Staggered at some of the posters on here who feel it's acceptable for RM to not pay wages, as if it was some kind of optional thing to do. Really don't get the 'love in' for the man, he's had 20+ years to achieve his 'dream' of a new stadium and the reality is we are nowhere nearer.

No body on here does but many understand the difference between can't pay and won't pay.

Some of course do but see opportunity in making out they don't.

No body on here does but many understand the difference between can't pay and won't pay.

Some of course do but see opportunity in making out they don't.

Doesn't there come a time when "can't pay and won't pay" has been used as an excuse too many times in the past and shouldn't be tolerated again?

The fact that a previous relegation was mainly caused by this same issue... with players downing tools... would suggest this approach has a huge negative effect on a season. If your company is known for late payment /court appearances, broken promises it will affect future prospects with companies avoiding doing business with you, and future talent avoiding you like the plague.
Our record breaking season has us unfortunately in the media spotlight, and decent players will avoid us given the choice of another team.

Back