• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ron Martin - HMRC Case Dismissal - Club Statement

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would be interested in knowing more on why HMRC bought the case forward, why CPS agreed to charges and then what happened to the evidence?
Something is far from right in all this and there is a bigger story behind all of this than the headlines and brief summary.
There is and Matt Slater of the Athletic has said so. He has said he won’t write it until Southend are relevant nationally or internationally. What’s funny is, we’re all busy, right? Write the sodding thing for you if you want to write it, he wouldn’t get sacked. People would be interested. Wrote a story about Birmingham, another basketcase of a club, but drastically different? Not PL and a terrible championship side. Bernie says CP should ask more questions but he has the skills and will to investigate too. It bemuses me. Either there’s a story to tell or there ain’t.

Why’s it not being told blow for blow is the question.

Bit odd for HRMC to bring up such a high profile case like this for it to only be thrown out, wouldn't expect an institution like HMRC to bring a case without any evidence.

There is and Matt Slater of the Athletic has said so. He has said he won’t write it until Southend are relevant nationally or internationally. What’s funny is, we’re all busy, right? Write the sodding thing for you if you want to write it, he wouldn’t get sacked. People would be interested. Wrote a story about Birmingham, another basketcase of a club, but drastically different? Not PL and a terrible championship side. Bernie says CP should ask more questions but he has the skills and will to investigate too. It bemuses me. Either there’s a story to tell or there ain’t.

Did he? Where? All I can see on twitter is him quote tweeting the clubs tweet and replying Limbs!

Very often these investigations start from an insider tip off, and progress from that.
Now it is history that HMRC have a "hard on " for RM, but that should not have influenced them in an unfair manner, did it? Was it a malicious vendetta type investigation? Has evidence initially seen as valid been found to be inadmissible or wrongly obtained? Lots of questions imo.

Very often these investigations start from an insider tip off, and progress from that.
Now it is history that HMRC have a "hard on " for RM, but that should not have influenced them in an unfair manner, did it? Was it a malicious vendetta type investigation? Has evidence initially seen as valid been found to be inadmissible or wrongly obtained? Lots of questions imo.
Good operators, who know the legal process inside out, find ways. As someone said earlier, it’s not overly difficult to outfox public office legal teams as they don’t have the top talent prosecuting whereas the defence does.

That was in relation to the embargo nothing to do with Ron's case!
I’d of thought his dealings would come up somewhat. A journalist was who took the Wigan guy down with a tiny modicum of investigation. Don’t see how any expose about SUFC would not be entwined with Ron’s personal dealings.

Good operators, who know the legal process inside out, find ways. As someone said earlier, it’s not overly difficult to outfox public office legal teams as they don’t have the top talent prosecuting whereas the defence does.

You don't even need to be a good operator, on several cases my firm has worked on against HMRC/SFO/NCA they make such a hash of things that they do it for you!

I’d of thought his dealings would come up somewhat. A journalist was who took the Wigan guy down with a tiny modicum of investigation. Don’t see how any expose about SUFC would not be entwined with Ron’s personal dealings.

Only if there is a link between the two, not paying HMRC on time on a regular basis and his personal business dealings are highly unlikely to be linked, there are too many on here who have decided Ron is a crook. Is he a good chairman? Probably not! Is he a criminal? Probably not!

Only if there is a link between the two, not paying HMRC on time on a regular basis and his personal business dealings are highly unlikely to be linked, there are too many on here who have decided Ron is a crook. Is he a good chairman? Probably not! Is he a criminal? Probably not!
I’m not saying he’s a crook, that’s for HMRC to answer and the question would be asked if SUFC situation was looked into in depth. You wouldn’t just investigate the club, you’d investigate the man too, surely?

I’m not saying he’s a crook, that’s for HMRC to answer and the question would be asked if SUFC situation was looked into in depth. You wouldn’t just investigate the club, you’d investigate the man too, surely?

He always pays the tax bills in the nick of time. As far as I am aware he has never been convicted of any offence, and it's also not for HMRC to answer, that would be a major breakdown in our established legal procedures, they can ask the question given that they have enough evidence which in this case the judge ruled they didn't have to proceed to a full trial, hence why the case was dismissed.

Bit odd for HRMC to bring up such a high profile case like this for it to only be thrown out, wouldn't expect an institution like HMRC to bring a case without any evidence.
Given it is tax payers money funding this you would hope that was the case-sadly it is nothing like that in reality and HMRC are, sadly, that’s not too happy to absorb such losses….

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back