• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ron Martin interview on BBC Essex

Awaiting council meeting in July to approve new stadium, if so ...bricks being laid in September...CP, great guy...results and injuries didn't go his way...questioned players commitment to the cause.
Wanted to sign KB...:Worthy:, asap...……………...….

Tbh, I’d rather a 12k capacity stadium that we could fill than a 25k white elephant with all the other trappings that may or may not be used.

Combine that with Coventry and that's where we are likely to head. Huge debts we can never pay off and no assets. At the moment they are just growing until we go bust.

Welcome to life for the majority of lower league clubs, why not just enjoy the ride?

Combine that with Coventry and that's where we are likely to head. Huge debts we can never pay off and no assets. At the moment they are just growing until we go bust.

the bulk of the debts we will only need to pay off if MD goes bust first , as they are owed to MD group companies, at which point we may be passed on to someone else who will pay an element f the debt.

That doesn't take into account the 6M written off the debt last year ,

You don't have to believe what RM says, but looking at what the accounts say does not paint such a grim picture

Combine that with Coventry and that's where we are likely to head. Huge debts we can never pay off and no assets. At the moment they are just growing until we go bust.[/QUOTE
Maybe i heard something different to you but I thought it was a really good interview.
I heard him say the move would leave SUFC with no debts
I heard him say that the level of funding required year after year would be significantly less than it is today
I heard him say that he is here for the long run/ (21 years and counting) loves the club and has no intention of going off into the sun when the whole thing is done and he pockets X millions.
Additionally ( he didn’t say this) but he is going to be in a much better financial position to back the club once we are at the new ground.

People can choose to accept what he says or treat it as bull**** that’s there choice. But to me it was a very positive interview and it’s a sham more people have listened to it.
This thread deserves far more interest and comment than it has in my opinion

Last edited:
It was a good interview, and I thought RM made some good points, specifically around the way our season went, and on the progress of the new stadium.

I don't think there anything to not believe, from what he said as he was simply speaking in facts, and to a certain point on stadium timelines, what could be (in the ideal scenario).

I think its clear that RM is in it for the long-haul (already has been for 21 years) even if/when the stadium is completed and he rightly sees the new stadium as a necessity for the club to move forward. He made some good comparisons to Swansea, Brighton and Bournemouth, and clearly does not have any delusion of grandeur but acknowledges that with the catchment/locality of the club, we can be a sustainable Championship Club.

I think this interview should have been given a little more focus, as there not too many with RM,

Back