• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ron Martin interview on BBC Essex

People can choose to accept what he says or treat it as bull**** that’s there choice. But to me it was a very positive interview and it’s a sham more people have listened to it.
This thread deserves far more interest and comment than it has in my opinion

I wouldn't argue with you.

I don't know if I've missed this being mentioned on here, but Glenn Speller had a really candid interview with Ron before Bond's appointment. Covers an awful lot of ground from Chris Powell to the Council and new stadium - well worth a listen.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p079bvqr

Good spot and good interview. He sounded savvy, shrewd and sincere. I wish him the best of luck with his ambitions.

Tbh, I’d rather a 12k capacity stadium that we could fill than a 25k white elephant with all the other trappings that may or may not be used.

I think the majority of fans would. That said I think 12k is still too small.

Somewhere between 15-18k would be about right.

Rotherham have a good example of a new build that's on the money. Great little stadium.
Perfect size for them and has had an impact on the league status. They are now a regular yo yo club between league 1 and championship. Before the stadium move They were very much treading water in the bottom 2 leagues.

I was never Rons biggest fan. I do generally believe he is fan of the club. I don't think that was always the case.

In fact at the start of his tenure he was brash, arrogant and naive and this had a big effect on the club from a negative financial position.

He has grown slowly into the role of chairman.

He is now very very close to delivering the stadium.

I do honestly believe it will go ahead. And I think we will get the green light this year. The council are starting to run low on excuses and with a new and hopefully sympathetic council forming, we can finally get on site.

Without Ron we may have gone under by now.

I believe that Ron is very close to signing legal documents with regards to the new stadium.

I believe that Ron is very close to signing legal documents with regards to the new stadium.

Where have you heard this?

It will still be interesting to see if the stadium will be built in its entirety or will start with 3 sides.

Id be concerned that we could end up stuck with just 3 sides for a long time like Oxford.

I think the majority of fans would. That said I think 12k is still too small.

Somewhere between 15-18k would be about right.

Rotherham have a good example of a new build that's on the money. Great little stadium.
Perfect size for them and has had an impact on the league status. They are now a regular yo yo club between league 1 and championship. Before the stadium move They were very much treading water in the bottom 2 leagues.

I was never Rons biggest fan. I do generally believe he is fan of the club. I don't think that was always the case.

In fact at the start of his tenure he was brash, arrogant and naive and this had a big effect on the club from a negative financial position.

He has grown slowly into the role of chairman.

He is now very very close to delivering the stadium.

I do honestly believe it will go ahead. And I think we will get the green light this year. The council are starting to run low on excuses and with a new and hopefully sympathetic council forming, we can finally get on site.

Without Ron we may have gone under by now.
Rotherham are a good model to look at in terms of their stadium, but also the South East Essex catchment is a huge opportunity for us. I’d reckon that Rotherham aren’t even the biggest team in the town, with many fans supporting one of the Sheffield sides, along with Barnsley and Doncaster nearby. We really are quite unique in terms of having no sizeable league teams near us. The limitation is being a traditional commuter town for London means we’ve got lots of West Ham and Spurs. A decent ground with good family facilities will help rebalance that in years to come

Ron Martin wants the Fossetts Farm decision by July, but the council's reply is that it's unlikely because through the planning process, the council have raised a number of concerns, and these have to be addressed by the applicant.

Ron Martin wants the Fossetts Farm decision by July, but the council's reply is that it's unlikely because through the planning process, the council have raised a number of concerns, and these have to be addressed by the applicant.

That is my understanding too - they're waiting for some specific stuff from him, not vice versa

Ah ok, I was informed that there was a lot of legal activity going on with the new stadium. Assumed it was close with regards to onsite activity. Jumped the gun a little bit.

Back