• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ron Martin on BBC Essex

Point of interest would I have renewed my season card, if I thought the club was to be held to ransom my Lloyds Answer NO I would not !!!!!

You know what I meant.

This Happy clappy society is creating more devides than ever before.

You cant say anything anymore as someone is always offended, regardless of whether it's offensive or not.

People are being raised to be tolerant of everything and not have an individual opinion on anything as that will be seen as you being intolerant.
Sorry, but just because you find something funny doesn't mean others have to. As an extreme example I'm sure many hitmen are amused by the victims pleas. Judging by his response I don't think our Colchester friend thought it was a joke or found it funny

Sorry, but just because you find something funny doesn't mean others have to. As an extreme example I'm sure many hitmen are amused by the victims pleas. Judging by his response I don't think our Colchester friend thought it was a joke or found it funny

Hey don't worry about me being offended - that was textbook Rigsby - as soon as someone hits a nerve with him on criticism of Ron he chucks out comments/barbs like a smoke bomb to distract/deflect and get posters talking/arguing about anything other than legitimate concerns some may have with Ron - looks like it worked perfectly for him!?

You know what I meant.

You cant say anything anymore as someone is always offended, regardless of whether it's offensive or not.

People are being raised to be tolerant of everything and not have an individual opinion on anything as that will be seen as you being intolerant.

That's the thing though, isn't it. It's all subjective, so what's inoffensive to you is offensive to someone else.

I'll be honest... I broadly knew what you meant but couldn't resist having a nibble as I felt it was a poor comment. I too look fondly on the times when things were more straightforward, but where we are now is the reality, so my ethos is not to judge someone until I've walked in their shoes (obvious extreme views aside of course). Anyway, I've deviated off the general topic, so will tap out now.

You know what I meant.

For someone apparently so unoffended by everything you seem pretty offended by the idea of people not having the same perspective on things as you.

Point of interest would I have renewed my season card, if I thought the club was to be held to ransom my Lloyds Answer NO I would not !!!!!

A few days ago Cardnet had changed their policy now it’s because the EFL didn’t do a policy!

And the way forward is???? He pays this tax bill outstanding from last year or 2, what is the way forward? no fans, no revenue, he has mugged supporters off stopping the protest, coming out with his BS and lame excuses. He is running this football club, he couldn`t run a bath!!!!???? #MartinOut Further down the line we will come to rue this mistake, we need him out now!!!!

And the way forward is???? He pays this tax bill outstanding from last year or 2, what is the way forward? no fans, no revenue, he has mugged supporters off stopping the protest, coming out with his BS and lame excuses. He is running this football club, he couldn`t run a bath!!!!???? #MartinOut Further down the line we will come to rue this mistake, we need him out now!!!!

He's not going and we don't need him out as if he goes then no FF and no future. However, he has neglected the running of the club and needs someone to do it for him.

I listened to his BBC Essex interview and while I disagreed with a lot of it his arguments at least held up.

If only it were that simple.

As an ex business owner, I can confirm that you start with all good intentions and to pay everyone what they are owed, on time.

And that's how it is for a while.

Then, something happens. It could be a change in legislation, a change in the market you are trying to reach, someone not paying you, key staff leaving, whatever. But all of a sudden you are drawing on reserves as the sales/fees haven't come in as planned or as they used to..

Unless things turn around quickly, the business owner is faced with various dilemmas which can include things like;

Advertising campaigns
Refinancing
Putting more cash in
Selling part of the business to an investor
Redundancies

Advertising costs money and may not work.

Refinancing will be on the banks terms and may not be possible

Any available cash may have already been put in

Selling in this scenario will be from a position of weakness and desperation, so it's unlikely to provide value (I use the illustration of when Roots Hall was sold. It was a fire sale, only one buyer. Consequently it was at a knock down price)

Getting rid of staff is a way of balancing the books but in the short term causes a huge cashflow issue. Our "cull" in January was probably responsible for a large part of the tax debt as there would have been a PAYE windfall for HMRC which we couldn't have covered.

So, when all else fails and the only money left is the tax collected, then either the company goes under or it "borrows" the money due to HMRC in the hope that it will be replaced.

And so the robbing Peter to pay Paul culture starts, it's an incredibly difficult position to reverse and in most cases is the beginning of the end for the business.

It's an almost impossible situation and yet here we are, still somehow with a football club to support and still with a possibility of a decent future.

Yes, Ron could have paid the tax but knows the rules. Use HMRC as a bank, pay them something at least regularly, wait for the winding up order, get an adjournment and voila! We live to fight another day.

People don't like it, I get that, but it's how business operates.

The time to get antsy and cross is if we get to a point where we CAN cover the costs and Ron still isn't paying. Now THAT'S bad management.
And so it is in the real world...

He's not going and we don't need him out as if he goes then no FF and no future. However, he has neglected the running of the club and needs someone to do it for him.

I listened to his BBC Essex interview and while I disagreed with a lot of it his arguments at least held up.
Maybe all those who want him out can band together and between them pay off the debts and put in the £2m a year to keep the club afloat...

Back