• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Ron Martin on SSN--all good news!

Just got out of a meeting where there was a TV on in the background. I hadn't paid any attention to it, until I caught the words "BREAKING NEWS: SOUTHEND" out of the corner of my eye. If that wasn't bad enough, up pops Ron. I can confirm that it is not easy to speak coherently on one subject at the same time as trying to lip-read someone on a TV at the other end of the room talking about something completely different.

In a year's time, we'll hopefully have had a successful season which will leave us in a much better position financially, and with players playing for new contracts as most have only been signed on 1 year ones.

I never completely lost faith but goodness, has that faith been sorely tested!!!

Telling us to Relax is a shocking statement after what he has put the fans through let alone the players and Tilson these past 2 years.......That bit I hate...it is the words of an egotist.

He just stopped short of telling us all how silly we'd been to worry.

Here's the full interview for anyone that missed it.

Apologies for the quality I captured it via my mobile.

[video=youtube;y1o3fd07dqM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1o3fd07dqM[/video]

Last edited:
Interesting to note he says "We're not entering into a development with Sainsbury's and others, to remain in League Two"

Who are the "Others?"

Interesting to note he says "We're not entering into a development with Sainsbury's and others, to remain in League Two"

Who are the "Others?"

Contractors, guarantors, pizza man etc etc etc

For those of you who think Ron's corporate structure is complicated, you should see the number of parties involved in this project. There will be more than 29 signatures required.

Contractors, guarantors, pizza man etc etc etc

For those of you who think Ron's corporate structure is complicated, you should see the number of parties involved in this project. There will be more than 29 signatures required.

You are referring to all the companies Ron has an interest in?

You are referring to all the companies Ron has an interest in?

Sort of. But what I'm saying is that Ron's corporate structure (and 29 companies he has an interest in) will be nowhere near as complicated as the numerous deals that are required to get us to Fossetts Farm.

Thanks for posted the video Smiffy.. Interesting to hear Ron speak live and it does finally look like we are entering calmer waters.

Re the season ticket refunds I was told on Saturday they expect credit cards to be refunded by the weekend!

"I know the fans have been very concerned and it's probably difficult for them to understand the complexity of the transaction."

Especially when we have been lied to, let down, kept in the dark, seen our heroes treated like sh*t.....

Well thankyou Gary Hooper ! Reckon he went a long way to saving this club.

Nice of Ron trying to give a positive message to the fans on SSN. Shame he spent the last 2 seasons dismantling the club after realising he couldn't prop it up and get the stadium underway at the same time.
We have become a joke. Despised i'm sure by many.
There are ways and means of doing things, but what he did to Tilly and Brush and making the fans sweat like that, time and again, making everyone's life a misery. The stadium's plans and getting underway should've been funded by him as he's the one who stands to gain down the road. But we got used big-time.

Especially when we have been lied to, let down, kept in the dark, seen our heroes treated like sh*t.....

Nice of Ron trying to give a positive message to the fans on SSN. Shame he spent the last 2 seasons dismantling the club after realising he couldn't prop it up and get the stadium underway at the same time.
There are ways and means of doing things, but what he did to Tilly and Brush and making the fans sweat like that, time and again, making everyone's life a misery. The stadium's plans and getting underway should've been funded by him as he's the one who stands to gain down the road. But we got used big-time.

At least there are still some people on here who've not be swayed by the latest episode.
There's a slight caveat to the truth in that SSN interview, Ron's lips are moving...

At least there are still some people on here who've not be swayed by the latest episode.
There's a slight caveat to the truth in that SSN interview, Ron's lips are moving...

Glasgow, i'm sure there are many. The sooner that prat sells, the better.
I just wish Tilly and Brush were still here (sorry Sturrock), they'd have ripped up this div with some backing from a chairman.
What a waste.

The money we are getting for Hooper probably has not even reached us yet, and the money will be in instalments i should imagine

He hasn't been dismantling the club. We still very much have a club today.

What he did was dismantle an overpaid, underachieving team at the cost of one relegation and therefore returning to where he started - which was a cheap cost compared to going under.

He hasn't been dismantling the club. We still very much have a club today.

What he did was dismantle an overpaid, underachieving team at the cost of one relegation and therefore returning to where he started - which was a cheap cost compared to going under.

"hasn't been dismantling the club" ???
What planet are you on?
He started dismantling as soon as Jimmy Walker missed his open goal up at Donny.
That overpaid, (paid???) under-achieving side swept Southend from the doldrums of L1 straight into the play-offs in less than 6 months.
An amazing run, considering some of the clubs in L1.
Then Ron decided to stop funding FF out of his own dough because of the banking crisis, and started making the club pay the lot.

Like i say, dismantling.

At the end of the day im glad in a way that the dream of the new stadium hasnt died as we would have folded. The only thing keeping both sainsburys and teffron involved is the huge carrot in the shape or a reatil development at fossetts and at roots hall.

It is fair to say ofcourse that we wouldnt be in this mess if ron hadnt decided to move and stayed put.

Its a tough one really and as much as i hate ron i am atleast grateful that he has managed to get an end result when to me it looked like the club would fold.

It will be interesting once the embargo is lifted to see what else sturrock has up his sleeve. Im sure there are players that would have refused a pre-contract and would have waited until the embargo is lifted. We are way short in terms of match time and together time to start a promotion push from the off . If we do manage to get a decent start then i will give credit where its due to sturrock, but it will be a very very long time till i trust Ron martin (if ever) and sing "paul sturrocks barmy army".

But for today i feel a huge sigh of relief and tomorrow i look forward to my first pre-season game and a look at the new players.

Well Yorkshire Blue, I couldnt agree with you more. This club was on the decline for many years, overpaid over-rated players, with no loyalty. They took this club down.... Many companies struggle, but their employees dont desert them, but strive to pull them around. Seems our players were only interested in big money.... and in Sturrock we have a Really Good Manager, who already is showing promise to put our club back in the race.

Well Yorkshire Blue, I couldnt agree with you more. This club was on the decline for many years, overpaid over-rated players, with no loyalty. They took this club down.... Many companies struggle, but their employees dont desert them, but strive to pull them around. Seems our players were only interested in big money.... and in Sturrock we have a Really Good Manager, who already is showing promise to put our club back in the race.

See how they start to fare in 6 months when they realise it's pay-day and go to check their bank statement. Including Sturrock. Let's see if they pull it round eh mate!

Back