• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Ron Martin on SSN--all good news!

He hasn't been dismantling the club. We still very much have a club today.

What he did was dismantle an overpaid, underachieving team at the cost of one relegation and therefore returning to where he started - which was a cheap cost compared to going under.

The business case for going down was irrestistable - he needed the relegation -

He did "dismantle an overpaid, underachieving team" if you think competing for the play off places was underacheiving with all the money in Lge 1 last year - but he also dismantled a thriving League 1 club with good crowds, good football, good managemnet and good players and binned us off with 2 Storrucks, journeymen and League 2 football -

I find it all repulsive -

We dismantled a manager who had lost the plot, who could not motivate anymore; we dismantled a poor team who did not want to play for the manager, the club or the fans. I for one am really looking forward to the new season

"hasn't been dismantling the club" ???
What planet are you on?
He started dismantling as soon as Jimmy Walker missed his open goal up at Donny.
That overpaid, (paid???) under-achieving side swept Southend from the doldrums of L1 straight into the play-offs in less than 6 months.
An amazing run, considering some of the clubs in L1.
Then Ron decided to stop funding FF out of his own dough because of the banking crisis, and started making the club pay the lot.

Like i say, dismantling.

No, he dismantled a team. The club is still very much there.

The business case for going down was irrestistable - he needed the relegation -

He did "dismantle an overpaid, underachieving team" if you think competing for the play off places was underacheiving with all the money in Lge 1 last year - but he also dismantled a thriving League 1 club with good crowds, good football, good managemnet and good players and binned us off with 2 Storrucks, journeymen and League 2 football -

I find it all repulsive -

I don't see how relegation helps us financially.

Off-loading contracts yes, but we could have done that in league one. In fact we should have done it earlier.

Bollocks we were competing for the play-offs last year with that team. We were competing in the same way we were "competing for the play-offs" under Peter Taylor and Alan Little. That team had virtually no quality: the right-back's crossing, a young midfielder's unfulfilled promise, Grant's tenacity and ability to draw a foul and Barney up front. That's it, that's not even half a team.

We dismantled a manager who had lost the plot, who could not motivate anymore; we dismantled a poor team who did not want to play for the manager, the club or the fans. I for one am really looking forward to the new season

That's unduly harsh on a club legend. Even though I feel there are elements of truth in that, can we please dress it up a bit!

No, he dismantled a team. The club is still very much there.

I don't see how relegation helps us financially.

Off-loading contracts yes, but we could have done that in league one. In fact we should have done it earlier.

Bollocks we were competing for the play-offs last year with that team. We were competing in the same way we were "competing for the play-offs" under Peter Taylor and Alan Little. That team had virtually no quality: the right-back's crossing, a young midfielder's unfulfilled promise, Grant's tenacity and ability to draw a foul and Barney up front. That's it, that's not even half a team.

That's unduly harsh on a club legend. Even though I feel there are elements of truth in that, can we please dress it up a bit!

Would green you if I could. Nice to see people can look beyond the obvious - the players and manager had their part to play in our failings in the last 12 months, but its too easy to blame the man of the moment.

Would green you if I could. Nice to see people can look beyond the obvious - the players and manager had their part to play in our failings in the last 12 months, but its too easy to blame the man of the moment.

PB do you have anything bad to say about Ron? Its only to easy to blame him because ultimately its his fault. I would agree with your sentiment about the manager and players having there part to play if they were given the backing, there pay on time and not treated like crap. I don't know how you can blame anyone else for our failings?

PB do you have anything bad to say about Ron? Its only to easy to blame him because ultimately its his fault. I would agree with your sentiment about the manager and players having there part to play if they were given the backing, there pay on time and not treated like crap. I don't know how you can blame anyone else for our failings?

Tilly, whilst playing a very big part in the successes of course, had also played a big part in many failings (particularly in the last 3 years or so) which cost Ron a heck of a lot of money and contributed to the problems we've had - long before the wages issues started.

Tilly, whilst playing a very big part in the successes of course, had also played a big part in many failings (particularly in the last 3 years or so) which cost Ron a heck of a lot of money and contributed to the problems we've had - long before the wages issues started.

Sorry SS, the buck stops with Ronald McDonald. He signs the cheques, Tilly didn't hold a gun to his head. Tilly has made errors and has failings as a young manager. However to try and deflect the mess we found ourselves in onto the players and manager is in my opinion short sighted. Ron has proved time and time again that its he who rules the roost at the Hall. He has had no problem treating everyone like fools. With that in mind, there can only be one person to blame. As i have also said time and time again, i want us to never be in this position again and my biggest concern is how we go about making that happen.

not read the entire thread, but has the transfer embargo been lfited?

Has Sturrock and the new boys signed their contracts?

I presume if No, then no-one can play agaist Stock-pot on saturday? The next case isn't until 11th?

sorry if its a daft Q?

Sorry SS, the buck stops with Ronald McDonald. He signs the cheques, Tilly didn't hold a gun to his head. Tilly has made errors and has failings as a young manager. However to try and deflect the mess we found ourselves in onto the players and manager is in my opinion short sighted. Ron has proved time and time again that its he who rules the roost at the Hall. He has had no problem treating everyone like fools. With that in mind, there can only be one person to blame. As i have also said time and time again, i want us to never be in this position again and my biggest concern is how we go about making that happen.

True, the buck does stop with Ron. In my opinion it also didnt look like Tilly got too much respect in the way the last year or so went, although I'm sure there is more to it than meets the eye (well, our eyes anyway).

However there have been many comments about the lack of support for Tilly in the transfer market and such like. I'm afraid that just doesnt stack up for me. Tilly's transfer record ever since we got into the Championship has been, to say the least, toilet. For the last couple of years Ron has been trying to stem the substantial losses Tilly's poor judgments have cost him, by implementing a 'try before you buy' policy, which it is fair to say hasnt worked. Tilly saw what was happening and didnt react in a positive "I'll prove I havent lost it" way, he reacted in the moody fail-to-motivate-myself-properly-let-alone-the-players way. Ron was lumbered with a manager who was losing the plot but was idolised by the fans, whilst finances were in meltdown thanks to two relegations. It's one possible view of events anyway...

I'm not trying to shift the blame from Rom - he has to take the lions share as you correctly point out because the buck does stop with him. However, he has certainly not been helped in recent years by his 'loyal' employees (long before their pay started to be affected).

Its still not over - what happens in 12 months time?

We pay it off with our winnings. With Blair Sturrock I'd say we have League 2 , Johnstone Paint Trophy , FA Cup + Carling Cup in the bag!

We have a team to support,and looks like we are going into the new season with a half decent team,for now that will do for me. The long term problem though still has not gone away, and until Ron Martin does, this is going to happen again.

He also said the club had loads of assets, which we know is untrue! He has the assets!!

It must be a concern to everyone involved in the club. Having said that, we all know that football club owners need very deep pockets, which, in the present financial climate, a lot of them haven't got. But no doubt, if we are struggling halfway through the season, we will still be demanding that Ron splashes the cash

Telling us to Relax is a shocking statement after what he has put the fans through let alone the players and Tilson these past 2 years.......That bit I hate...it is the words of an egotist.

Funny how one comment can be interpereted.

He didnt say we should have been relaxed, he said he could understand fans concerns but we can now relax, ie the problems are resolved.

Thats just words of reassurance and not egotistical !?

This may have been picked up somewhere else, but my reading of the story on the Echo's website is that we are still under the threat of an administration petition which won't be withdrawn until after the Charterhouse Winding Up petition is dismissed. If that's the case then it'll be the middle of next week before the embargo is lifted, surely...?

http://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/th..._administration_by_striking_deal_with_taxman/

Back