• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

londonblue

Topgun Pilot
Firstly let me say that I am really excited about the position we now find ourselves in. We are third in the table with a chance of going top on Saturday, and are playing football that I enjoy watching.

But, my issue is that, at the moment, we’re getting away with it. We have had a number of sendings off this season, and that coupled with injuries has the potential to hit us really hard, especially coming up to Christmas when we have a lot of games in a short space of time.

Take the strikers as an example. We have four senior strikers. Woodrow is suspended and Eastwood is injured. That leaves us Corr and Reid. Whilst I like Corr and am happy to see him start on Saturday I can’t help thinking what will happen if we’re a goal down, and Corr either isn’t playing well or picks up an injury?

I don’t know enough about Reid to say whether I rate him or not, but given his lack of time on the pitch you would have to say he is a gamble. (It may be a gamble that pays off, but it is still a gamble.)

The strikers are just an example of how things can become an issue if you don’t act in good time. It isn’t beyond the realms of possibility that Kiernan or Prosser could also pick up an injury leaving us a bit short at the back. Again, up until now we’ve got away with it when Prosser and Philips have been injured, but it won’t take many more injuries/suspensions for us to find ourselves in a weakened position.

The squad is rather thin in certain areas, and if Ron Martin wants Phil Brown to succeed I think he needs to do his utmost to remove the embargo. He needs to let Phil Brown continue with his rather impressive work so far. If he is serious about getting promotion this season now is the time he needs to show it, not when it’s too late and we’ve lost a couple of matches because we’ve stopped being lucky with injuries and suspensions.

I believe the loan window closes on Thursday, so wouldn’t it be good if we could get one or two in before then? With the team riding high, and doing well we should also be able to attract players that we may otherwise have not been able to.

Most people who visit this site regularly will know that I am an optimistic “glass half full” kind of person, so please read this with that in mind. This isn’t about trying to put a downer on yesterday’s brilliant result, it’s about hoping we build on it, and don’t just let this season fall away like we did the last.

Firstly let me say that I am really excited about the position we now find ourselves in. We are third in the table with a chance of going top on Saturday, and are playing football that I enjoy watching.

But, my issue is that, at the moment, we’re getting away with it. We have had a number of sendings off this season, and that coupled with injuries has the potential to hit us really hard, especially coming up to Christmas when we have a lot of games in a short space of time.

Take the strikers as an example. We have four senior strikers. Woodrow is suspended and Eastwood is injured. That leaves us Corr and Reid. Whilst I like Corr and am happy to see him start on Saturday I can’t help thinking what will happen if we’re a goal down, and Corr either isn’t playing well or picks up an injury?

I don’t know enough about Reid to say whether I rate him or not, but given his lack of time on the pitch you would have to say he is a gamble. (It may be a gamble that pays off, but it is still a gamble.)

The strikers are just an example of how things can become an issue if you don’t act in good time. It isn’t beyond the realms of possibility that Kiernan or Prosser could also pick up an injury leaving us a bit short at the back. Again, up until now we’ve got away with it when Prosser and Philips have been injured, but it won’t take many more injuries/suspensions for us to find ourselves in a weakened position.

The squad is rather thin in certain areas, and if Ron Martin wants Phil Brown to succeed I think he needs to do his utmost to remove the embargo. He needs to let Phil Brown continue with his rather impressive work so far. If he is serious about getting promotion this season now is the time he needs to show it, not when it’s too late and we’ve lost a couple of matches because we’ve stopped being lucky with injuries and suspensions.

I believe the loan window closes on Thursday, so wouldn’t it be good if we could get one or two in before then? With the team riding high, and doing well we should also be able to attract players that we may otherwise have not been able to.

Most people who visit this site regularly will know that I am an optimistic “glass half full” kind of person, so please read this with that in mind. This isn’t about trying to put a downer on yesterday’s brilliant result, it’s about hoping we build on it, and don’t just let this season fall away like we did the last.

Mate I fully agree we are doing well but we must to let our heads run away with this - the job is not done until we are promoted and we need to be dotting the 'i's and crossing the 't's till we get there

Let's hope all the fantastic work is taken away from us by Ron. Everyone around us will add to their team in the new year. It's important we do too. Phil Brown has done a brilliant job with what he has available so far.

It's clearly more a case of we CAN'T get out of the embargo. We're potless, which makes the job Brown is doing all the more impressive (and that's coming from someone who wasn't happy with his appointment when he arrived).

Absolutely spot on London Blue, We keep hearing the club is doing everything possible to lift the embargo, but what exactly? We have 3 players wages to pay, unless this is subject to court proceedings, and some unspecified bills. We have had a run of games with good gates. Come on Ron update us, communicate for goodness sake!!! like you said you would, pay some bills and strengthen the squad.

It's clearly more a case of we CAN'T get out of the embargo. We're potless, which makes the job Brown is doing all the more impressive (and that's coming from someone who wasn't happy with his appointment when he arrived).

Unfortunately this. From someone who was sceptical at first, thus far, Brown has worked miracles in my opinion. It would be great if we could get the embargo lifted, Brown clearly has people he wants to sign (Bedsente for starters), and it would give the club an even bigger lift.

One thing I will give RM credit for, is that he seems to have a great eye for a manager and is pretty loyal to them. Now is the time to try whatever is possible to give PB further backing.

The little weasle is incapable of doing anymore to help the football club.....lets forget about this leech of a man stick together as a fan base and continue backing our committed and dedicated football team. He will go away one day.....we however shall always be here.
A word also for phil brown who has taken us to the top of the league despite the leech. Well done sir, brilliant last night when you were in front of us at the end.

Im sure if he could get us out of embargo he would have already...

I'm not so sure of that. Up until now it hasn't affected us. It may also not affect us. But my point is that we shouldn't wait until it does. His view may be that we don't need to get out of the embargo because we're doing OK. My view is that that would be wrong. We should act now when everything is going well to try and keep the momentum going.

I'm not so sure of that. Up until now it hasn't affected us. It may also not affect us. But my point is that we shouldn't wait until it does. His view may be that we don't need to get out of the embargo because we're doing OK. My view is that that would be wrong. We should act now when everything is going well to try and keep the momentum going.

How? Ronnie obviously has no money to pump into the club, Sainsbury's won't do more than the minimum, and any potential investor would steer well clear as they may as well flush their lucre down the khazi.

Absolutely spot on London Blue, We keep hearing the club is doing everything possible to lift the embargo, but what exactly? We have 3 players wages to pay, unless this is subject to court proceedings, and some unspecified bills. We have had a run of games with good gates. Come on Ron update us, communicate for goodness sake!!! like you said you would, pay some bills and strengthen the squad.

Why should he when all he takes is grief whenever he has done so?

How? Ronnie obviously has no money to pump into the club, Sainsbury's won't do more than the minimum, and any potential investor would steer well clear as they may as well flush their lucre down the khazi.

The answer to that lies in the detail of why we're in an embargo in the first place. I know we owe some ex-players some money, but is that all? If it is, the money from the FA Cup win should cover it.

For as long as we can keep the regulars playing we are ok but:-

The worrying signs:

Bennett long term injury
Leonard injured
Eastwood injured
Woodrow suspended
I saw Timlin with a bag of ice (not for the champagne!) at the end of the game last night - hopefully nothing serious
Corr having stitches and a broken tooth - I am sure it takes more than that to stop him playing

Good news:

Hurst back from suspension
Laird played well when he came on - regaining fitness

I very much doubt he has the money sitting doing nothing and is able to remove us at any point he wants to.

We were struggling to get Keirnan in and had to jump through hoops and suffer delays to bring him in. There have also been players we havent been able to sign at all that Brown wanted.

Id be flabbergasted if we were still in embargo out of any choice.

The answer to that lies in the detail of why we're in an embargo in the first place. I know we owe some ex-players some money, but is that all? If it is, the money from the FA Cup win should cover it.

The accounts are still not filed. I suspect that there may be money in the background somewhere to pay off the other bills as and when we need to do so (purely because there always has been in the past) but until the accounts are ready to be lodged/until RM can find an Auditor willing to put his name to them there's no sense in paying up.

I very much doubt he has the money sitting doing nothing and is able to remove us at any point he wants to.

We were struggling to get Keirnan in and had to jump through hoops and suffer delays to bring him in. There have also been players we havent been able to sign at all that Brown wanted.

Id be flabbergasted if we were still in embargo out of any choice.

I wouldn't. My point is that with our cash flow issues maybe up until now RM has prioritised other things. Maybe now is the time to re-prioritise, even if only in the very short term.

I wouldn't. My point is that with our cash flow issues maybe up until now RM has prioritised other things. Maybe now is the time to re-prioritise, even if only in the very short term.

He certainly will have prioritised payments, one of them being paying players on time, how would you feel if he changed his priorities and players suddenly werent getting paid, or even "just" club staff, or the tax man just so the other debts could be cleared ? Im sure he is paying the people who need paying so if he deems them to be more pressing for payment then that would worry me if he shifted his priorities.

As Beefy says the accounts havent even been filed, which will be one of the multiple causes.

It strikes me that whilst the squad is small, Brown is getting the most out of it.
I'm not sure new players are required and there's an argument we shouldn't upset the apple cart.
Of more interest is that we have players like Craig Read on the books who we clearly have no intention of playing.

I believe that if come Christmas and we are still riding on high .Needs must to keep us there A few will fall on the sword to make way for new faces that phil brown needs .Ie reed and maybe two or three of the younger players in the squad that need games elsewhere .Ron wont part with money while he still has this mind block of the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow in Fossets farm . But the one thing that does bother me is where does Phil Brown go when Kiernan has run out of loan time .Do we try to get him in or do qwe lose him which would be a big blow to our promotion push .

Although I understand the point made, is part of our success because the small squad helps build the great togetherness the players speak about. Also to an extent whilst we are winning and playing good football the team is picking itself. As an aside we don't need any other players as we play better with 10:smile:

Last edited:
Back