• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ron Martin should be heckled...

like they've given us a lot of great memories. even though they've had a bad season to i have not been happy with a lot players amount of effort put in week in week out. i'm not even bothered who leaves

the only players i want here next season is, mildy, francis, spencer, moose, scannell, crawford, grant, baldwin, barrett and thats about it.

Really? Funny how you include in that list a couple of players who've been notoriously lax on the effort front, week in week out.

Really? Funny how you include in that list a couple of players who've been notoriously lax on the effort front, week in week out.

Yeah, but also no prizes for guessing who specifically you're referring too in terms of their potential last home game. I'd say if they'd been shipped out last summer (or even prior to 31 Aug as rumoured) we also might not be in this untenable position we now find ourselves either...

So, after imploring everyone to give the players the 'support they deserve', there's now an observation of a couple of players being 'notoriously lax on effort'. Some mixed signals there.

Ron Martin was praised to the heavens by almost everybody when he was making the right decisions, and took that by his speeches to the crowd, waving on the pitch, and so forth.

Now, though, is the time to accept criticism when his decision making has resulted, either directly or indirectly, in the club in the news for court appearances, the manager undermined, and the team relegated.

With it being the last game of the season I'd have thought it was the perfect time for supporters to let their feelings known on the matter one way or the other.

Me? I'll be throwing Haribos at my lad and generally arsing about as usual but I can well understand it if other people wanted to focus on the club politics they've had to endure the past 9 months.

I think people will make their own minds up if they want to heckle or not before, during or after a game.(they always do).
For what it's worth I knew this season was going to be very difficult (why I didn't renew last season's season ticket, as some others didn't)

Trying to run a football club, and buid a new stadium at the same time (or pay for the planning of one) was a financial step too far for Ron this season. It may even be a step too far next season with reduced wages etc for league two ( although no-one would dare accuse him of doing this deliberately)

Serious serious money is needed to fund both projects, and Ron has been found out
(not his fault if he is not rich enough).

I want to watch Southend United FOOTBALL Club not a Roots Hall Limited property development business! (why were they seperated, the club from the ground anyway) Just to get the Freehold out of the equation for Mr. Martin's benefit, not ours as fans.

As a FOOTBALL fan, because I haven't seen much football this season, I might just Heckle Mr. Martin today!

Like it or not Ron Martin is the owner of Southend, There is no knight in shining armour waiting to take over and pump millions in from what I can see. On that basis I am going to try and remain positive as I still think Martin could move the club forward.

I will reserve my judgement to see if the stadium build starts this summer. If it does then Martin has my backing. If not then I think serious questions need answering.

I am probably the most relaxed I have been for a while as a) There is no pending wind up orders im worried about b) Bar Francis, Granty, Tilly and Moussa I really dont care who leaves in the summer and c) Im looking forward to seeing some new players come in.

No Ron Martin should not be heckled like Dave has said and I said previously if we have nothing in place by the new stadium and things haven't progressed then I will be asking questions. People really have no idea what would happen to the club if Ron walked away, this consortium are not going to bail us out, Ron Martin will not sell up so get over it and get used to the fact RM is going to be our chairman.

Yes, we may be stuck with Ron Martin. In truth he's not going to walk away because of protests from the fans. He has too much personal self interest financially to do that. Doesn't mean we have to like it though. If he's going to risk the future of our club chasing a development which will make him a lot of money then I say make his life as difficult as possible whist he's doing it.

Just my opinion of course and others are entitled to theres.

Yeah, but also no prizes for guessing who specifically you're referring too in terms of their potential last home game. I'd say if they'd been shipped out last summer (or even prior to 31 Aug as rumoured) we also might not be in this untenable position we now find ourselves either...
No Rich, there's several for whom this will be their last game, I'm not singling any individual out, but being as you've seen two games this season I think your comments are, again, harsh. Obviously I know who you are refering to but I'm not going to be drawn into any arguments today.

I am probably the most relaxed I have been for a while as a) There is no pending wind up orders im worried about b) Bar Francis, Granty, Tilly and Moussa I really dont care who leaves in the summer and c) Im looking forward to seeing some new players come in.

Well, indications are that you'll get 50% of those remain, and I fear the PotY curse will strike again.

Last edited:
Like it or not Ron Martin is the owner of Southend, There is no knight in shining armour waiting to take over and pump millions in from what I can see. On that basis I am going to try and remain positive as I still think Martin could move the club forward.

I will reserve my judgement to see if the stadium build starts this summer. If it does then Martin has my backing. If not then I think serious questions need answering.

Well said that man!

I've said this before, prior to Mr Martin becoming chairman I sat through some of the worst, lower tier football, played by some of the poorest excuses for players, managed by some for whom inept doesn't begin to describe their ability.

Some of the opinions on here in recent months have been tantamount to being happy to stay at Roots Hall and return to what was that dross.

I'm not saying that everything Ron has said and done has been right but I've seen some of the best players, performances and results during his tenure than in all of the some 20 years I've followed the club.

Now, I'm not saying that I've been happy with some of the goings on this season both on and off the pitch but if returning to some of the success of the last 6 seasons means a rollercoaster ride then I've just renewed my ticket to stay on it!

Most of what has been written on here makes sense.

All I will add is, I will never forgive TefRon for gambling with the life of our club. The only reason we didn't joing Chester & Kings Lynn was on the whim of a judge who said there was no real reason that we shouldn't be wound up. I can't only liken it to Michael Jackson hanging his baby over the balcony!

Who says there isn't somebody to take over from TefRon? Somebody took over from Vic, Anton, the Rubins etc, it whether TefRon makes it easy for them to buy the ground back or have a huge cheap lease on FF? There are enough people to buy the club, its just that TefRon will make it difficult & unviable for them to do so!

Who says there isn't somebody to take over from TefRon? Somebody took over from Vic, Anton, the Rubins etc, it whether TefRon makes it easy for them to buy the ground back or have a huge cheap lease on FF? There are enough people to buy the club, its just that TefRon will make it difficult & unviable for them to do so!

There is someone willing to take over from RM... Only it looks increasingly likely of us being out of the frying pan and into the fire.

I have come across an appeal being run by Crystal Palace fans. They are trying to raise £15,000 to pay the St John's Ambulance what they were owed when Palace went into Administration, and which they are unlikely to see otherwise.

It would have saved RM over £2M to have allowed us to go into Administration, but likewise all the small businesses we owed money to would have seen almost nothing, plus a lot of SUFC employees would have been on the dole. Strikes me he took the ethical position there. We are still in a much better position than when RM took over, and we are closer to a new stadium than ever - and I ask again the question that all the RM bashers have ignored, would Sainsbury's have allowed themselves to get as deeply involved as they have in both the Roots Hall and Fossetts developments if they weren't convinced this project is going to be completed?

I'm with ESB on this one, wait until the summmer and see if the diggers are on site.

Most of what has been written on here makes sense.

All I will add is, I will never forgive TefRon for gambling with the life of our club. The only reason we didn't joing Chester & Kings Lynn was on the whim of a judge who said there was no real reason that we shouldn't be wound up. I can't only liken it to Michael Jackson hanging his baby over the balcony!

We were never that close. No Registrar is going to sling 90 people on to the dole when there is the slightest chance of avoiding it. Go to the Trust site and read the "Winders Court Blog" by Paul Yeomanson for a more balanced and realistic evaluation of what happened that day.

I have come across an appeal being run by Crystal Palace fans. They are trying to raise £15,000 to pay the St John's Ambulance what they were owed when Palace went into Administration, and which they are unlikely to see otherwise.

It would have saved RM over £2M to have allowed us to go into Administration, but likewise all the small businesses we owed money to would have seen almost nothing, plus a lot of SUFC employees would have been on the dole. Strikes me he took the ethical position there. We are still in a much better position than when RM took over, and we are closer to a new stadium than ever - and I ask again the question that all the RM bashers have ignored, would Sainsbury's have allowed themselves to get as deeply involved as they have in both the Roots Hall and Fossetts developments if they weren't convinced this project is going to be completed?

I'm with ESB on this one, wait until the summmer and see if the diggers are on site.

Excellent post, your point has been well put across. Shame it won't convince the idiots calling for his head today.

Excellent post, your point has been well put across. Shame it won't convince the idiots calling for his head today.

Excuse me - any chance of people being allowed to express a different opinion to yours without being branded idiots?

That is the point of a forum after all isn't it? Somewhere for people to express different opinions?

Completely agree.

Of course people are upset as we've fallen from the Championship back to L2, but not one of the anti-ron brigade give him any credit for the fact we rose to those hights under him. (Oh I forgot, of course that was nothing to do with him, it was all down to Tilly). The recession was all his fault as well.

We were insolvent, nearly bottom of the league & going bust with no prospect of a future, let alone a new stadium when RM took over & pumped millions into us just to keep us afloat. He must wish we hadn't had the success of the past few years, then he might not get so much grief for having 'ruined everything'.

The man is damned if he does & damned if he doesn't.

I've defended him in the past (not for the last year though).

So, I don't know if I have but if I've ever doubted you in the past on here then make that two apologies - you were right!

Plenty of us had the wool pulled over our eyes in the past, IMO some people still have.

Its not a case of being right or wrong, its a case of being a Southend fan & wanting to believe & wanting what is best for your club. No apologies are required, unless you called me a C!! ;)

I'm not a screamer or shouter at games. Yes, I jump up & down at goals being scored (distant memory!) & very occasionally shout at a ref. I generally what a game almost detached form everything, studying everything. I do that in life, which is why when I can see a TefRon in life I will say something. Unfortunately, anybody who looked at the club logically, saw the money he was wasting would have seen it coming.

As True Blue said to me last week, I wanted to believe in Ron & for my club to progress & do well. Scott, join the club & the thousands sucked in by the spin, BS or downright lies!

UTB!

Excuse me - any chance of people being allowed to express a different opinion to yours without being branded idiots?

That is the point of a forum after all isn't it? Somewhere for people to express different opinions?

People who are going to come to the last home game of the season and spend it 'heckling' at Ron Martin well they are just idiots. That is my opinion... like you said 'That is the point of a forum after all'!

People who are going to come to the last home game of the season and spend it 'heckling' at Ron Martin well they are just idiots. That is my opinion... like you said 'That is the point of a forum after all'!

Then SZ may just as well degenerate into name calling between pro and anti Ron Martin camps if we follow that logic. Which is a huge shame in my eyes.

Personally I'd rather we had heated debate but respect the views of others even if we don't agree. Each to their own though I suppose....

Back