• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ron Martin should be heckled...

Then SZ may just as well degenerate into name calling between pro and anti Ron Martin camps if we follow that logic. Which is a huge shame in my eyes.

Personally I'd rather we had heated debate but respect the views of others even if we don't agree. Each to their own though I suppose....

Stable Door. Horse. Bolted.

I just think it's irrelevant today, it's our final home match of the season and the final home match for several of our players I suspect so let's just have a fun day today and give them the support they deserve and just for once this end of the season forget what's gone on and enjoy ourselves.

.... I was going to, but I've changed my mind and am going to the game after all.

perhaps a pol is needed to see pro ron Vs anti Ron to get a percentage of zoners views then we,ll see who has to eat humble pie....

perhaps a pol is needed to see pro ron Vs anti Ron to get a percentage of zoners views then we,ll see who has to eat humble pie....

What the point? There's bugger all anyone can do about it apart from bitch on here which tbh is getting very very tiresome.

No Rich, there's several for whom this will be their last game, I'm not singling any individual out, but being as you've seen two games this season I think your comments are, again, harsh. Obviously I know who you are refering to but I'm not going to be drawn into any arguments today.

Er THREE...and would have been more if they could guarantee me the effort on the pitch that I would have made in going to the games.

Who was wanting an argument?

What's disappointing on here is there seems to be short shrift for anyone who takes the centre ground, who are happy with Ron Martin's tenure but not blind to his faults. It seems you have to be either pro or anti, to be in a brigade. (right, sergeant, get the troops in line, anti-Ron rhetoric postings ... wait for it ... now!).

The man deserves and received credit for his sterling work in turning the club around off pitch. By the same token he also deserves criticism for mis-handling the club to such an extent too. It's a pity that a fair few people are looking at things in such a black and white context.

What's disappointing on here is there seems to be short shrift for anyone who takes the centre ground, who are happy with Ron Martin's tenure but not blind to his faults. It seems you have to be either pro or anti, to be in a brigade. (right, sergeant, get the troops in line, anti-Ron rhetoric postings ... wait for it ... now!).

The man deserves and received credit for his sterling work in turning the club around off pitch. By the same token he also deserves criticism for mis-handling the club to such an extent too. It's a pity that a fair few people are looking at things in such a black and white context.

A very fair and reasoned point - well said sir!

I agree with you!

My main gripe is that this was on the cards two years before it happened & he did nothing about it. As for what was said at the hearing, I know somebody who was there & I trust them more for their unblinkered opinion, as they are not a Southend or football fan!

I agree with you!

My main gripe is that this was on the cards two years before it happened & he did nothing about it. As for what was said at the hearing, I know somebody who was there & I trust them more for their unblinkered opinion, as they are not a Southend or football fan!

Two years before this was on the cards the economy was booming. Two years after and the economy is seeing a recession that worse than the great depression. Not even RM can wriggle around the banking system totally collapsing. I think that actually, he has done wonders to keep us where we are - when the club is a loss making business - in a recession - and when debt is unavaible. It is a quite an achievment. Let's face it, the majority of club's in our situation over the past six months would have gone into administratoin. If it wasn't for RM, we would have followed the same path, and I think that is commendable.

I agree with you!

So I take it your of the belief that the Trust's assessment and right up of the proceedings are blinkered and biased? Certainly comes across like that.

I can assure you the members of the Trust committee are more than aware and scathing of Ron's faults and past failings than anyone.

Phil

I have come across an appeal being run by Crystal Palace fans. They are trying to raise £15,000 to pay the St John's Ambulance what they were owed when Palace went into Administration, and which they are unlikely to see otherwise.

It would have saved RM over £2M to have allowed us to go into Administration, but likewise all the small businesses we owed money to would have seen almost nothing, plus a lot of SUFC employees would have been on the dole. Strikes me he took the ethical position there. We are still in a much better position than when RM took over, and we are closer to a new stadium than ever - and I ask again the question that all the RM bashers have ignored, would Sainsbury's have allowed themselves to get as deeply involved as they have in both the Roots Hall and Fossetts developments if they weren't convinced this project is going to be completed?

Disagree with most of that . There is only one reason why Ron Martin didnt let the club go into administration, Tefron didnt let the administrators in as he knew he would lose the club. As soon as the administrators were in the consortium would have swooped in and brought the club for say a £1 and would have offered maybe 5p in the £ against debts. Ron would have never let this happen as it would of meant losing fossetts aswell as a large loss for his companies, but most of all his ego would have not been able to cope.

Make no mistake regardless of his sob story for keeping the tea lady etc , this was not the case.

You are right however in saying we are in a better position now than when he took over. We are a bigger club with planning permision, but we are not much better off if at all financially.

Last edited:
Disagree with most of that . There is only one reason why Ron Martin didnt let the club go into administration, Tefron didnt let the administrators in as he knew he would lose the club. As soon as the administrators were in the consortium would have swooped in and brought the club for say a £1 and would have offered maybe 5p in the £ against debts. Ron would have never let this happen as it would of meant losing fossetts aswell as a large loss for his companies, but most of all his ego would have not been able to cope.

Make no mistake regardless of his sob story for keeping the tea lady etc , this was not the case.

You are right however in saying we are in a better position now than when he took over. We are a bigger club with planning permision, but we are not much better off if at all financially.

Fossetts and Roots Hall are not owned by the club and wouldn't have been included in the Administration or any subsequent sale. By your logic, RM could have got rid of SUFC, shed his debts, and still been able to develop Fossetts and Roots Hall. The Consortium would have had nothing of any value.

So I take it your of the belief that the Trust's assessment and right up of the proceedings are blinkered and biased? Certainly comes across like that.

I can assure you the members of the Trust committee are more than aware and scathing of Ron's faults and past failings than anyone.

Phil

I haven't read it, is the honest answer, but I will. Like I said, I trust the info I was given my somebody who wouldn't have need to say anything good or bad about the proceedings.

Back