• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ron Martin speaks to Chris Phillips

Usual stuff really and the only person who knows if we are in the **** or not is Ron, it's a closed shop. A few little bits of info but nothing substantial.

The Leicester lad may not have been much cop but to publically slate a young player still finding their feet in the game shows a real lack of class IMO.

Usual stuff really and the only person who knows if we are in the **** or not is Ron, it's a closed shop. A few little bits of info but nothing substantial.

The Leicester lad may not have been much cop but to publically slate a young player still finding their feet in the game shows a real lack of class IMO.
I don’t think Layton cares considering he called the club out as he left

And RM burns his bridges with Leicester, a club where the manager is well known for developing good youngsters. Needless comment from him.

It’s either that or buy a flat cap, be eternally miserable and practice saying “I don't belieeeeve it”..

I'm a miserable *******, you got me! But seriously I'm genuinely worried about next season, momentum in football is huge and we a re heading in one direction.

Just weighing up my favourite bit:

1. When he referred to himself in the third person
  2. When he took the credit for us staying up
  3. When he threw a young loanee walking into a horrendous dressing room for his first EFL loan spell under a bus
  4. When he had a go at Chris Powell for getting rid of players yet knowing that the wage bill was massively unsustainable.
  5. When he alluded to knowing more about fitness and conditioning than our fitness and conditioning team
  6. When he signed off by calling our fans keyboard warriors.
As usual with Ron, there's enough spin and crafty omission of truth to pull the wool over the eyes of most fans who aren't ITK and you can't blame them for that. He should have been a PR guru.

HOWEVER, there are a few bits in there where he does come across well, I have never questioned his commitment to the club, I just think he runs the club badly. He's acknowledged the need for a CEO which is a massive positive. Unfortunately, it looks like the actual appointment is some way off given the need for progress with FF, which obviously is never going to happen.

It seems from this that the money for next week is in hand although it could well be a case of robbing Peter to pay Paul - I would have liked further scrutiny on this although to be fair Ron would have easily been able to bat this away with some "business sensitive" line.

Encouraging that he owns the mistakes over Bond and Waddock. The stuff about rowing back on signing players in January doesn’t sit right (although he is correct to say it’s a terrible window for permanent signings). IIRC he did the Talksport interview after the Bolton/MK/Wimbledon games and said we’d be signing five or six players. Are we really buying that a disappointing but not catastrophic 0-0 with Tranmere was enough for him to write off the next four months?

Nice buttering up of the council, and an insight into how things work with FF as most people really don't know the ins and outs of that kind of thing.

Interesting insight on how much it costs us to keep playing at Roots Hall. £300,000 over the summer just to keep it up to scratch is a huge amount of money. You do wonder how long it has left.

Worryingly there seems to be little acknowledgement of the ruinous late Brown era and why we are now paying for it, although he did say he backs his managers which is a way of spinning it positively I suppose (and it can't really be denied, even if was bloody stupid). “There isn’t a budget really” well given we’ve been under an embargo and have been paying players and staff late I would suggest there probably should be one.

Could have done with some bullet points, but I guess the Echo had editorial control this time. I would like to have seen more questions about why we seem to struggle so badly with recruiting players, and why it seems we are blacklisted by every agent and club in the country.

But it was a genuinely interesting read and fair play to Ron, even though he has been largely responsible for this cluster****, for finally communicating with the fans.

The current FF plan has been basically the same since BL got involved. Once the flats appeared it leaves the door open for more housing at FF. There is a clear hint that the council want the scheme to go in that direction.

I always felt there was more to the rushed Seaway so called rival project. When I questioned one of the towns more sensible councillors as to why have a cinema down there when the Odeon struggles....He claimed people would see a film and then stroll up to the Hight street for something to eat. Yet not only is a 'unattractive' the more popular restaurants are up the busy end where we have a cinema already. Then he spoke of the difficulty of hitting government targets for housing in Southend.

I know some of you think Ron wanting a cinema is him being greedy but BL explained that it is essential as food places won't come without the cinema which means neither will their targeted retailers who wont touch the high street. Its a kind of all or nothing to get the punters in.

So is the the councils Seaway cinema a sneaky way of getting Ron World reduced but keep each other sweet with more residential ? Then move the airport retail to a smaller FF as they want that land for airport use?

Not sure how that would affect the planned Hotel?

Most revealing thing here is that half of the club budget is spent on the academy.

For me it was more an admittance then when he talks about budget compared the rest of the league, he is including the academy.

So playing staff we might be more like 20th - not 5th as previously or 8th etc

Martin needs to get a new PR consultant (or just get one).

His statements are patronising, insulting, and irritating.

He attempts to take responsibility for something, but can’t help having a sly dig at someone else, which translates as ‘not my fault’.

For the record I want him to stay - he got us into this mess, he can get us out of it.

The current FF plan has been basically the same since BL got involved. Once the flats appeared it leaves the door open for more housing at FF. There is a clear hint that the council want the scheme to go in that direction.

I always felt there was more to the rushed Seaway so called rival project. When I questioned one of the towns more sensible councillors as to why have a cinema down there when the Odeon struggles....He claimed people would see a film and then stroll up to the Hight street for something to eat. Yet not only is a 'unattractive' the more popular restaurants are up the busy end where we have a cinema already. Then he spoke of the difficulty of hitting government targets for housing in Southend.

I know some of you think Ron wanting a cinema is him being greedy but BL explained that it is essential as food places won't come without the cinema which means neither will their targeted retailers who wont touch the high street. Its a kind of all or nothing to get the punters in.

So is the the councils Seaway cinema a sneaky way of getting Ron World reduced but keep each other sweet with more residential ? Then move the airport retail to a smaller FF as they want that land for airport use?

To be fair the Odeon isn't great and that end of town (criminally messed up when they built the Victoria shopping centre) isn't very nice. So there is a market for a decent cinema 'out of town' I'd say. Also, a swimming/leisure pool. The site at Fossetts Farm is accessible not just for Southend residents but people north of town. Whilst I'd love to see a stadium on the seafront, I can see the logic of that site but can we have that plus the Seaway development? Housing is 100% the driving force, that will determine the success of any of these projects.

A cinema by the seafront makes no sense at all. Good luck if you fancy seeing a film in the summer!!

I actually go to Basildon at its a lot easier to get to than Southend (I'm in Hockley) and has better seating, however if Southend had a cinema slightly out of town, such as FF, I would be tempted to start going there.

Just don't understand the council and the Seaway development which is a major stumbling block to FF.
The councils own Broadwater Farm development at Queenway admits there's a major gridlock problem at the underpass ,yet this is the major route to Seaway and the seafront.Given even getting into Southend is a nightmare who in their right mind is going to want to visit a cinema with the traffic and then expensive parking charges.At present the majority of people from this area find it easier and cheaper to go to Basvegas. Even the restaurant scenario doesn't make sense after the council announced spending on the area around the current Odeon to make it a cafe culture area.
The original objection to FF being the retail death of the high street is now irrelevant after the decision to twin itself with Beirut and the decline of the last ten years.
Lastly the money wasted by the council on the Victoria gateway which now appears to be scrapped could have been spent on the west /east road solution which is needed irrespective of FF ,but would have made the application a lot easier.
I sometimes wonder if the town deserves the club....or the club deserves the town?
Maybe Jobson had the right idea after all!

To be fair the Odeon isn't great and that end of town (criminally messed up when they built the Victoria shopping centre) isn't very nice. So there is a market for a decent cinema 'out of town' I'd say. Also, a swimming/leisure pool. The site at Fossetts Farm is accessible not just for Southend residents but people north of town. Whilst I'd love to see a stadium on the seafront, I can see the logic of that site but can we have that plus the Seaway development? Housing is 100% the driving force, that will determine the success of any of these projects.

There already is one close to Fossetts, Southend Leisure and Tennis. A great public and membership pool. Tom Daley used the diving facilities a lot when practising for a Championship.

Yes agree with the posts above. FF would be the best place for a cinema. The Seaway makes no sense. Even on a warm Thursday night in September there is barely anyone using the sea front apart from the usual wrong'uns hanging around the avoidable pubs and the odd fat chav family in arcades when its well past bedtime for their children.

Even Ross Kemp wouldn't go for a stroll with his wife after the cinema

There already is one close to Fossetts, Southend Leisure and Tennis. A great public and membership pool. Tom Daley used the diving facilities a lot when practising for a Championship.
I meant more a leisure pool with slides etc but you're right....had forgotten about that place. Cinema wise, I think a big modern one out of town would be a winner.

Makes sense doesn't it. Council saying well Ron this would all look more attractive and easier to support if it was addressing this real housing issue we have...Ron well maybe we could do something like this like that...can fully believe they are trying to get it topped and tailed prior to submission. Hotels don't need to be near retail parks or cinemas, probability proximity to airport is more important. Impact on residency likely to be near zero.

For me it was more an admittance then when he talks about budget compared the rest of the league, he is including the academy.

So playing staff we might be more like 20th - not 5th as previously or 8th etc

But it would be only the players wages included in players wages budget, and academy and U23s are payed next to nothing. So no.

I meant more a leisure pool with slides etc but you're right....had forgotten about that place. Cinema wise, I think a big modern one out of town would be a winner.

I read somewhere last year that water slides may be phased out, because of Health&Safety and Insurance. The bigger the slide, the deeper the catching pool has to be, and in this claim culture, insurance has gone through the roof. Water slides were the cause of too many accidents and injuries.

I read somewhere last year that water slides may be phased out, because of Health&Safety and Insurance. The bigger the slide, the deeper the catching pool has to be, and in this claim culture, insurance has gone through the roof. Water slides were the cause of too many accidents and injuries.
OK so definitely scrap that idea, we don't need any more of those!!

Back