• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ron Martin speaks to Chris Phillips

He’s not wrong though is he
It’s not the point.
Apart from being immature and frankly childish he goes on to complain about keyboard warriors giving him stick ! Pot kettle.

As a father of a 21 year old I would be severely ****ed off if my sons ex boss publicly went out of his way to call him useless

I can see Leicester’s opinions on a loan in the future being all the better for this, and I bet if the lad was asked his opinion by another youngster he is now more likely to give us a glowing reference.

He could have said he was useless in a far far better non offensive constructive way

In fairness I do think by and large Ron has answered the questions honestly. However, should Chris have delved deeper? I do think Ron only said what he had to, in order to answer the question.
Well done to CP for at least getting Ron to speak, but I do think Ron should have been more forthcoming much earlier. Would definitely have stopped Sol taking unfair criticism on here.

Nice to have some clarity even if some of the truth of our situation is deeply concerning.

Ron has a very difficult job and i can empathise with that. One thing that irks me though is the complete blaming of past managers for our terrible recruitment.

At the end of the day managers have a short life span and will make short term signings as a result in order to be successful. It's the job of the chairman (or in the modern day a director of football) to keep the club's long term interests at heart and make sure that our recruitment is suitable and leads to a properly balanced squad. Sometimes that means going against the managers wishes and sometimes it needs to be done. It feels like a cop out to just give the manager complete control over signings then shrug your shoulders when it goes wrong. We need to be smarter than that.

The player he mentions that we tried to sign from Carlisle but went to Swindon is Hallam Hope.

As has been said many many times the clubs future and RM’s continued tenure are totally entwined- if he succeeds we do and vice versa.

Utterly astonishingly some seem to imagine that administration would be a good thing. I am at an utter loss to understand what imaginings make this so. Most of the debt is interco- we get to write off £600k and all the same problems continue after as before and we get hit with further embargos and point deductions. Utter madness.

I even saw on social media the suggestion that Ron should resign!!! Really- that would help.

He has given a fairly detailed interview. You can believe it or not. Some will believe none of it but yet at the same time manage to believe almost any conspiracy theory along as it plays to a theme.

FWIW the money will get paid next week- the 3 signings will get registered, results will pick up, we will go down and I believe next year will be positive one.

Amongst the interview there were some new snippets of information (BTW I thought he went out of his way not to dig out Ben Clarkson despite the injury related nightmares). Interesting on FF he indicated a recent change to the application replacing some of the retail elements with more housing? This chimes with a lot of comments on here regarding the retail developments/wonder if that includes the cinema piece. Anyhow RH and FF will go an awful long way to delivering the councils commitment on new housing.

There is no way he goes public with the amount owing to HMRC without having something (legit or rinky) in the background to settle it. Ronald loves accentuating the fact that he ploughs money into the club to keep it afloat, so paying the tax-bill and enabling us to sign a League Two benchwarmer will be his Dunkirk.

Can we change that to his Waterloo please?

Most revealing thing here is that half of the club budget is spent on the academy.

Which is why a lot of clubs at our level don't have one. Whether it is self funding is a question- guess we will never know. It feels the right thing to do and there is nothing better than our own academy players coming through in the right numbers. Ultimately we will benefit- in the short term and if we looked at was the ££ maybe we would bother. Its right that we do.

In fairness I do think by and large Ron has answered the questions honestly. However, should Chris have delved deeper? I do think Ron only said what he had to, in order to answer the question.
Well done to CP for at least getting Ron to speak, but I do think Ron should have been more forthcoming much earlier. Would definitely have stopped Sol taking unfair criticism on here.

Look CP will have asked one or two questions that Ron will have not wanted to answer for various reasons- its not unusual for a journalist to accept some restriction in order to get most of what we want. Along the lines of don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

The thing is: All we really wanted was a little bit of honesty.
Had he been honest about some things (and I appreciated some things have to remain behind closed doors) earlier maybe some of us would have felt different as to what we do now.

As has been said many many times the clubs future and RM’s continued tenure are totally entwined- if he succeeds we do and vice versa.

Utterly astonishingly some seem to imagine that administration would be a good thing. I am at an utter loss to understand what imaginings make this so. Most of the debt is interco- we get to write off £600k and all the same problems continue after as before and we get hit with further embargos and point deductions. Utter madness.

I even saw on social media the suggestion that Ron should resign!!! Really- that would help.

He has given a fairly detailed interview. You can believe it or not. Some will believe none of it but yet at the same time manage to believe almost any conspiracy theory along as it plays to a theme.

FWIW the money will get paid next week- the 3 signings will get registered, results will pick up, we will go down and I believe next year will be positive one.

Amongst the interview there were some new snippets of information (BTW I thought he went out of his way not to dig out Ben Clarkson despite the injury related nightmares). Interesting on FF he indicated a recent change to the application replacing some of the retail elements with more housing? This chimes with a lot of comments on here regarding the retail developments/wonder if that includes the cinema piece. Anyhow RH and FF will go an awful long way to delivering the councils commitment on new housing.
Agreed. I think that next season will not be doom and gloom as some have suggested. Provided we hang on to the likes of Kelman and Clifford, we have a potentially exciting season to look forward to. He’s backed Campbell in many ways .. I think him and Ron are aligned in looking for value for money here on in and cutting our cloth accordingly. I also believe that the last thing Ron wants is to fail.

I'm certainly no Ron fan as my past posts will prove! However I felt that the interview was as honest as we've ever got from him and confirms many facts that only the ITK crowd were sure of previously. The only real 'eye roll' moment was the bit about being close to the players in Bond's last six games and playing a part in keeping us up.

I've no problem with his comments re: previous managers and Ndukwu/Hamilton and actually applaud his honesty, he was actually perhaps too soft on Cox and Kiernan especially. I'm not sure he was having a dig at Ben Clarkson either, at least I certainly didn't read it that way.

He even admitted to some mistakes in terms of keeping Bond on and taking too long to replace him, very un Ron like. Of course he could have gone further, but it's a definate step forward in terms of PR after the last embarrassingly patronising statement. And we might (eventually) get a new CEO too!

Plus finally that last paragraph made me lol! That was definitely me after the game last Saturday, tapping out my 'angry mode' posts! Maybe Ron should join the Zone and share his post game thoughts, that would be fun.:Stunned:

Doubt results will pick up, some money will be paid next week as 600k is the tip of the iceburg and next season could be an even worse nightmare as L2 is notoriously difficult to get out of and survive in.

The £600k to HMRC could be them demanding advance payments, due to us being very naughty in the past. The tax man can do things like that..

basically after the Tranmere game he has pulled the plug ....

stripping the club out of everything .

same as what he did to Tilson

very very unconvincing on the parting with Chris Powell -

I'm certainly no Ron fan as my past posts will prove! However I felt that the interview was as honest as we've ever got from him and confirms many facts that only the ITK crowd were sure of previously. The only real 'eye roll' moment was the bit about being close to the players in Bond's last six games and playing a part in keeping us up.

I've no problem with his comments re: previous managers and Ndukwu/Hamilton and actually applaud his honesty, he was actually perhaps too soft on Cox and Kiernan especially. I'm not sure he was having a dig at Ben Clarkson either, at least I certainly didn't read it that way.

He even admitted to some mistakes in terms of keeping Bond on and taking too long to replace him, very un Ron like. Of course he could have gone further, but it's a definate step forward in terms of PR after the last embarrassingly patronising statement. And we might (eventually) get a new CEO too!

Plus finally that last paragraph made me lol! That was definitely me after the game last Saturday, tapping out my 'angry mode' posts! Maybe Ron should join the Zone and share his post game thoughts, that would be fun.:Stunned:

How do you know he's not already there? Could make an interesting thread on who would be the demasked poster! :Smile: Generally agree with what you've said. It has assuaged a bit of concern I had as to whether I'd have a team to support next season, so I find myself being slightly relieved. Interesting to see confirmed what I suspected, in that those four games against the other relegation contenders were critical in the direction for the rest of the season. You could say those three points from a possible twelve sealed our League One fate.

Back