• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

seany t

President
Chairman’s Blog 27.01.09 - From Inside Your Club

When I started looking at investing in SUFC and held early meetings with Vic Jobson it soon became clear (the opposite actually!) that the operation was surrounded in mystique.

I will not speak ill of the dead but I think the Chairman at that time simply conducted his affairs and those of the Club almost under a veil of secrecy. Certainly information flow was on a “need to know basis” which is hardly conducive to developing a relationship with the Cub’s supporters (our customers) in an effort to progress the Club both on and off the pitch to everyone’s advantage.

For that to happen there must be mutual trust and such trust can only be gained by being open and communicating with the supporters regularly.

Incidentally it might interest fans to know that extracting information in relation to the Club at the time of the purchase of Vic Jobson’s shares was not the easiest task. Apart from our own due diligence we ended up instructing the accountants, Deloitte, to report on the Club’s finances. Their initial report took six weeks following which I sent them back for a further nine weeks to ensure that we had a good understanding!

Therefore soon after I started involving myself in the day to day operations one of my first instructions was to ensure that fans were kept informed of not just the on field activity but also, as we progressed, the work the Club does in the community and, at the relevant times, the new stadium plans – the latter being crucial to the Club’s evolution.

I hope the supporters feel we have made progress in this respect but I can let you know that we are always looking at ways of improving service and the flow of information which is admirably coordinated by Garry Adamson, the Club’s Director of Commercial Services.

The idea of me doing a blog is the next step in that communication process and, I hope, helps supporters at least know the facts and some of the decisions behind the running of the Football Club. Of course, I do not expect everyone to agree with the judgements but at least the reasoning will be known.

What I propose to do for a trial period is a weekly posting. This will cover such things as football finances, stadium plans, management strategy (including scouting), youth development (including academy status), the Club’s work in the community (and how it integrates with growth). Additionally we can look at my medium to long-term ambitions for your Club and how I perceive these being achieved.

If supporters feel the blog is worthwhile it may be possible to introduce a Q&A. Obviously I will not be able to respond to all emails but will hopefully reply to a number and deal with the majority of points raised and certainly we could make provision for my replies to be included in the following week’s posting.

Next week I plan to look carefully at the financial aspects of football. This will cover Southend United’s history and the financial movements over the last few years which would include the level of investment in the Club together with players’ wages both current and historic.

As a taster, our current wage bill so far this season is probably on target for a top six finish and, that being the case, will be twice what it was when we were last in League 1. During that year we utilised 25 players whereas so far this year we have utilised 31 players.

I set out below more clearly the make up of those 31 players:

Southend United 08/09 Season First Team

Long-term Injured = 3

Forwards = 8
Midfielders = 10
Defenders = 6
Goalkeepers = 4

In looking at players’ wages it is important to understand in what positions we have invested (rightly or wrongly). For instance we have eight forwards at the Club and yet the goal ratios are poor:

08/09 Season League Goal Statistics

Goals for = 31
Goals against = 42

These statistics prompt many different theories:

· Some might argue that we have leaked too many goals and therefore the defence needs strengthening.

· Others might argue that the defence is under pressure because the ball comes through midfield too quickly.

· Whereas others may say if the ball could be held up top neither the midfield or defence would be under so much pressure – and there would be more opportunity to score

Of course all of this is true in some way or another and therefore the selection of players and the investment in those individuals both from a financial and time perspective is absolutely paramount in my view.

Together over the coming weeks we can examine these positions more clearly and you, our customers, can perhaps have your say or at the very least make your judgements on the facts available.

One fact that I can assure you of is that we continue to exercise due diligence in every area of the Club as we maintain its growth and hopefully success.

Rome was not built in a day and the restructuring and advancement of Southend United Football Club will also take time but together we will get it right.

Up the Blues!

Ron Martin
Chairman,
Southend United Football Club

It is quite strange that the more open Ron is with the fans, the more questions are asked...Maybe it would be better if he said nothing, then it can still be just assumption in peoples heads.....Give the bloke a break FGS, there are not many Chairman in the whole FL who are so open.

It is quite strange that the more open Ron is with the fans, the more questions are asked...Maybe it would be better if he said nothing, then it can still be just assumption in peoples heads.....Give the bloke a break FGS, there are not many Chairman in the whole FL who are so open.

hmm, he has often been open, especially about the finances and new stadium, and for that i think we should all be grateful. If he is as honest and open as he says he will be in future editions of his blog then I think that will appease many fans who are currently concerned... however today's blog doesn't really say anything!

come on, he was never gonna go straight in there with:

Foran isnt playing for us because....
The stadium will be built in .....

It's just an introduction guys. i really commend RM for what he is doing and i will reserve further judgement on the content of the blogs until a few weeks when we see what data and stuff we will be told. UTB

Together over the coming weeks we can examine these positions more clearly and you, our customers, can perhaps have your say or at the very least make your judgements on the facts available.

This is the only bit that worries me.

For me, Martin has to be clear that he walks a line between representing the Club and reassuring us, but not bowing to the fans (due to a few bad results) and letting us have our say too much.

Sure, we come on here and argue about team selection but that's because we all have our own opinions and it passes the time. I for one certainly don't want to see Tilly & Brush feel like their roles at the Club are diminishing and players being picked due to the sway of our fickle supporters.

Especially as half of you folks don't know ****...

;)

Some people are so hard to please!

Not bad from my POV. It's his first one and it acts as what it is.....an introductory blog. He's probably busy at the moment due to it being the last week of the transfer window.

Importantly, he sets out what he will be talking about in his upcoming blogs, and it looks like it'll make very interesting and eye-opening reading. Plus, the Q and A thing, if implemented, will be very clever on RM's part and will allow us as the fans to find out even MORE about the inner-workings of the club.

Seems as though he's going to be very open and honest.

Has anyone asked themselves why is it that a Co-Owner of SZ is so very quick to [a] react to rebuke anyone who dares to criticise RM and seeks to put words into RM's mouth, or be his mouthpiece.

Surely he can and has stated he will answer for himself, so I must seriously question why Cricko should be apparently so touchy on this.

2 quick rebukes to the first two desenters, yet this is supposed to be a place where everyones views can be aired ? Problem is that when a co-owner does this [and their rights are acknowledged also] it must make some wary of daring to post anything remotely analytical of Mr Martin's comments.

Orunja

31 players! What was that quote, about lies and statistics?

Sawyer, HRK, Federici, Harding, Milsom, Robinson, Stanislas all on loan for about 18 months in total, and I would imagine that on average we paid 66% of their wages

Those 7 players then cost about the same as 1 full time senior pro for a whole year.

That brings the 31 down to 25

Ademeno, O'Keefe, Herd, Hazell, and that guy that came on against Luton.

5 Players all youth team or very young, earning probably no more than £200-£300 a week on averarage if that, plus Bailey has left.

Quite simply, if we are among the top 6 in the division for wages, when there are teams such as Leicester, Peterborough, Leeds in this division, then those remaining players are being paid far too much.

Has anyone asked themselves why is it that a Co-Owner of SZ is so very quick to [a] react to rebuke anyone who dares to criticise RM and seeks to put words into RM's mouth, or be his mouthpiece.

Surely he can and has stated he will answer for himself, so I must seriously question why Cricko should be apparently so touchy on this.

2 quick rebukes to the first two desenters, yet this is supposed to be a place where everyones views can be aired ? Problem is that when a co-owner does this [and their rights are acknowledged also] it must make some wary of daring to post anything remotely analytical of Mr Martin's comments.

Everyone's entitled to an opinion, be they a co-owner or someone posting for the very first time. So Cricko backs Ron Martin. Big deal. I'm not entirely sure why that should be an issue.

If people want to criticise Ron Martin, then this is a perfect place to do so. Although if it is done incessantly it can get a little wearing....

Good on you Ron! Like others have said, he can't reveal everything and nor should we expect him to.
The fact he is trying to engage the fans is admirable in my opinion.
The fact is, we've never had it so good, and the first sign of a few blips and suddenly hes branded a villian.
Get real!

People were happy with Ron for a few seasons now things are going wrong people are moaning about him. There always seems to be a blame culture at Southend.

Chairman’s Blog 27.01.09 - From Inside Your Club

When I started looking at investing in SUFC and held early meetings with Vic Jobson it soon became clear (the opposite actually!) that the operation was surrounded in mystique.

I will not speak ill of the dead but I think the Chairman at that time simply conducted his affairs and those of the Club almost under a veil of secrecy. Certainly information flow was on a “need to know basis” which is hardly conducive to developing a relationship with the Cub’s supporters (our customers) in an effort to progress the Club both on and off the pitch to everyone’s advantage.

For that to happen there must be mutual trust and such trust can only be gained by being open and communicating with the supporters regularly.

Incidentally it might interest fans to know that extracting information in relation to the Club at the time of the purchase of Vic Jobson’s shares was not the easiest task. Apart from our own due diligence we ended up instructing the accountants, Deloitte, to report on the Club’s finances. Their initial report took six weeks following which I sent them back for a further nine weeks to ensure that we had a good understanding!

Therefore soon after I started involving myself in the day to day operations one of my first instructions was to ensure that fans were kept informed of not just the on field activity but also, as we progressed, the work the Club does in the community and, at the relevant times, the new stadium plans – the latter being crucial to the Club’s evolution.

I hope the supporters feel we have made progress in this respect but I can let you know that we are always looking at ways of improving service and the flow of information which is admirably coordinated by Garry Adamson, the Club’s Director of Commercial Services.

The idea of me doing a blog is the next step in that communication process and, I hope, helps supporters at least know the facts and some of the decisions behind the running of the Football Club. Of course, I do not expect everyone to agree with the judgements but at least the reasoning will be known.

What I propose to do for a trial period is a weekly posting. This will cover such things as football finances, stadium plans, management strategy (including scouting), youth development (including academy status), the Club’s work in the community (and how it integrates with growth). Additionally we can look at my medium to long-term ambitions for your Club and how I perceive these being achieved.

If supporters feel the blog is worthwhile it may be possible to introduce a Q&A. Obviously I will not be able to respond to all emails but will hopefully reply to a number and deal with the majority of points raised and certainly we could make provision for my replies to be included in the following week’s posting.

Next week I plan to look carefully at the financial aspects of football. This will cover Southend United’s history and the financial movements over the last few years which would include the level of investment in the Club together with players’ wages both current and historic.

As a taster, our current wage bill so far this season is probably on target for a top six finish and, that being the case, will be twice what it was when we were last in League 1. During that year we utilised 25 players whereas so far this year we have utilised 31 players.

I set out below more clearly the make up of those 31 players:

Southend United 08/09 Season First Team

Long-term Injured = 3

Forwards = 8
Midfielders = 10
Defenders = 6
Goalkeepers = 4

In looking at players’ wages it is important to understand in what positions we have invested (rightly or wrongly). For instance we have eight forwards at the Club and yet the goal ratios are poor:

08/09 Season League Goal Statistics

Goals for = 31
Goals against = 42

These statistics prompt many different theories:

· Some might argue that we have leaked too many goals and therefore the defence needs strengthening.

· Others might argue that the defence is under pressure because the ball comes through midfield too quickly.

· Whereas others may say if the ball could be held up top neither the midfield or defence would be under so much pressure – and there would be more opportunity to score

Of course all of this is true in some way or another and therefore the selection of players and the investment in those individuals both from a financial and time perspective is absolutely paramount in my view.

One fact that I can assure you of is that we continue to exercise due diligence in every area of the Club as we maintain its growth and hopefully success.

Rome was not built in a day and the restructuring and advancement of Southend United Football Club will also take time but together we will get it right.

Up the Blues!

Ron Martin
Chairman,
Southend United Football Club

what a palarva

People were happy with Ron for a few seasons now things are going wrong people are moaning about him. Why is there this constant blame culture at Southend?

nope, i just think that we had a fairly good team last year and due to underachieving had to sell our best players who we didn't properly replace. part of the reasons seems to be that our money for players has dried up a little bit

We have the stadium to pay for. What if Ron said "ok forget the stadium", can you imagine the uproar on this board?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back