• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mad Cyril

The Fresh Prince of Belfairs⭐⭐
Putting aside they manner in which certain people may/may not have been treated does anyone feel that Ron has been pretty shrewd when appointing new managers?

To be fair to Uncle Ron when they haven't worked out / couldn't cope he has moved them on swiftly & had a replacement lined up. A fair few other chairman could do with that ability

To be fair to Uncle Ron , i think hes done a decent job in appointing managers,He bought Sturrock in at the right time when the ship was sinking fast and Sturrock did all that could be asked of him , he steadied the ship and took us to Wembley,but it was apparent after missing out on promotion the previous season ,he wasnt going to get us where we wanted to be , in a higher division ,so RM quietly went about getting another experienced manager,PB who i believe will take us there.I dont blame RM for all our money problems ,i myself believe that was the fault of a certain manager who spent good money on players who just didnt cut it, i dont believe Foran was worth anything near 200,000 it was reported here he paid for him,plus a few others ,money better kept in RM treasure chest .

i myself believe that was the fault of a certain manager who spent good money on players who just didnt cut it, i dont believe Foran was worth anything near 200,000 it was reported here he paid for him,plus a few others ,money better kept in RM treasure chest .

Pure comedy gold. You really do have no idea how this club has been run from looking at it from afar.

Under Tilson we were profitable for a few years and made a lot more money through transfers than spent. The financial side of things is the full responsibility of the chairman. Do you actually know that managers are only allowed to spend what the owners let them?

Just for the record £200k is peanuts for a championship striker.

We were profitable for one year. By a tiny amount caused purely by selling Eastwood a couple of weeks before the end of the accounting year.

Whoever was responsible we spent way too much money in transfer fees and wages. But had we not have done we might not have had some of the good memories we do have of that period. It's the dilemma of supporting, managing or owning a loss-making lower league club.

To be fair to Uncle Ron , i think hes done a decent job in appointing managers,He bought Sturrock in at the right time when the ship was sinking fast and Sturrock did all that could be asked of him , he steadied the ship and took us to Wembley,but it was apparent after missing out on promotion the previous season ,he wasnt going to get us where we wanted to be , in a higher division ,so RM quietly went about getting another experienced manager,PB who i believe will take us there.I dont blame RM for all our money problems ,i myself believe that was the fault of a certain manager who spent good money on players who just didnt cut it, i dont believe Foran was worth anything near 200,000 it was reported here he paid for him,plus a few others ,money better kept in RM treasure chest .
What a load of old cobblers, the ship was sinking because RM blew a ****ing great hole in it himself !!!!!!!

Last day of the year and the comedy post of 2013 snatches the trophy !

Ron blames Peter Clarke for costing him over £1m in fees and wages! Who cares about the excuses, we are in the sh!t end of story.
Re: Managerial appointments, by and large they have been dealt with efficiently and swiftly.

I think the appointment of Sturrock was the key one,the mess we were in there was a good chance of being relegated out of the football league.Look at how Stockport are struggling now.That first season Sturrock did a very good job to steady the ship and make us competitive.Hiring Brown has so far worked out well he is doing a good job.

Anyone who thinks all our money worries are purely down to RM are as deluded as those who think he's been our saviour. We were going bust when he took over, we didn't own roots hall or the training ground as some seem to think, and he's kept us afloat through a recession and we had only the second visit in our history to the championship (and our only 3 visits to major finals) while he's been chairman. Of course he's made mistakes and is no angel, but to blame him for everything is short sighted and too convenient. Our problems were massive before he took over. We may not be better off but we're certainly not worse off than when he arrived, and we've had some pretty good memories along the way. You can't blame him for everything bad that happens without giving him credit for the good bits.

Anyone who thinks all our money worries are purely down to RM are as deluded as those who think he's been our saviour. We were going bust when he took over, we didn't own roots hall or the training ground as some seem to think

Who did then? RM sold the training ground and Roots Hall and then leased it back to the club, although no rent has been paid, you can bet its been accrued in one company or another and will be paid back if FF ever gets built.

I hate to say it, but it is Ron that keeps the club "afloat" each year by making up the shortfall & paying those last minute bills from his other companies.

:Scared2:

Who did then? RM sold the training ground and Roots Hall and then leased it back to the club, although no rent has been paid, you can bet its been accrued in one company or another and will be paid back if FF ever gets built.

Technically John Main was chairman when RH was sold to SEL (which at the time was only 50 % MD , the other half being Delancey/ Jamie Ritblat) although effectively Vic, by handing the club over with debts ,sold RH .

Technically John Main was chairman when RH was sold to SEL (which at the time was only 50 % MD , the other half being Delancey/ Jamie Ritblat) although effectively Vic, by handing the club over with debts ,sold RH .

And here we are. We have been in a financial mess ever since. Though to be fair, we were in possibly deeper financial chaos when Vic took over!

When Ron arrived SUFC owned Roots Hall and the training ground and also had debts of circa £4m.

John Main signed over both grounds on behalf of the club when he was on the payroll of Martin Dawn.

In those days administration and a debt restructure was the obvious answer that would have benefited SUFC.

Back