• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ron Martin's reaction to relegation

This statement is shocking. The arrogance of the man continues to shock me. Is this also not the same individual who took umbridge when (Birmingham or West Brom) complained about having to play us the year after the were relegated to the CCC (& we were promoted to it)?

Unfortunately, Ronald we are now L2 on merit and it's 99.9% your fault matey!

If he had said we will probably be in the same league as Morcambe for the forseable future he would have got slaughtered.

Yes we are in League Two as we deserved to be based on this season, but in the bigger scheme of things we are too big to be in League Two and Im glad he is showing that we have no intention of sticking around!

As for Birmingham and West Brom, neither of them stuck around in the CCC for long....

If it had been me, I would have used the headline "Martin tips Morecambe for success"

In the article he says something like 'happy players play to the best of their ability' when commenting on players that may possibly want out and yet by not paying them he ruined morale which, IMO, ultimately cost us our league one status.
Also, he admits the financial problems of the last few months would have had and effect and yet when he rang BBC Essex after the Brighton game he stated that it wouldn't have effected him if he was a professional football player!
As for us being one of the top teams next season, without investment it ain't gonna happen!! Are we expected to really believe that he'll invest in the team this summer now we're in league two when he didn't do so over the last year whilst in league one?! Sorry, but he really infuriates me!!!!

This article has angered me more than most of the tripe I have read of Ron's!!!

“People can dramatise these things but that’s a knee-jerk reaction. - How dare he box up the fans feelings and belittle them like this after the season his actions, (or lack of) has caused us to endure. Knee Jerk reaction the cheek!!

“This is just a blip and in a few years time people won’t even remember it happened.” Really? Yeah, because no-one remembers any of our previous relegations, and everyone is going to forget that three times we nearly went to the wall because you used HMRC as a overdraft facility, and having HMRC call our football team insolvent is instantly forgettable.

“We won’t be in same league as Morecambe by the time the stadium is finished.” The sheer arrogance of this statement has already been highlighted.

the players did always know the money was in the pipeline and there have been a combination of factors in our struggles this season.” For me this type of statement typifies a recurring debtor. I'm sure the players mortgage companies were more than happy to accept promises of payment instead of actual funds, and how embarrassing for the players not being able to pay bills, and having to explain I've not been paid AGAIN but the money is on it's way, honest. With respect to the second part, as if he is trying to remove some of the blame from the decimated morale created by his non-payment of wages. Yes, there were other contributing factors, your non payment of our VAT bill causing transfer embargos. Your stripping the squad of the playing staff. Your causing off field distractions of having the club being taken to HMRC three times under the threat of administration and winding up orders, your removal of an able assistant for Tilly. Yes Tilly made tactical errors, and hasn’t always bought wisely, but this probably, well almost certainly would have been overcome if it had not been for the above.

I don't understand why this man constantly comes out with this drivel, if it wasn't for his hopeless, arrogence-led PR, he would probably have far more people onside than he has now. I wouldn't mind betting his lack of PR skills have turned almost as many fans against him as his running of the club.

Sorry rant over.

Our annual revenue will easily drop by 25%, reduced crowds and lower average ticket prices mean substantially lower gate revenue. Sponsorship rates are going to be reduced and unless we are at the top of league two zero chance of being on the box unless we get a plum tie in the FA or Carling Cup. So its easy to see the wage bill has to be trimmed though I expect 95% of all league clubs looking to do the same this summer though not as drastic as us though

I don't like belittling other clubs, it really gets to me, when other clubs do it to us. 'A good little old club'

But I don't suppose Ron actually meant it like that! It's just words again!

I hope we are in the same league as Morecambe, but in the Championship!

And also I think Ron described it as FATAL! which is probably worse than disastrous, he doesn't think before he speaks, just like a 12 year old brat!

UTB!

he took the **** out of Morecambe - boo hoo hoo!!

he wants to get us back up to League 1. Personally I see that as good news.

Quite. We'll be in the Blue Sq Prem with Darlo, while Morecambe will continue to be in League Two. The arrogance of the man, and how ill-thought out his statements are from time to time, is astounding.

Ah, of course.

It wouldn't be an SZ thread without the Darlington comparison.

he took the **** out of Morecambe - boo hoo hoo!!

he wants to get us back up to League 1. Personally I see that as good news.

Agreed!

At least he is talking about cutting the wage bill, getting rid of the players who don't want to be here, Tilson is all ready talking to the players about their futures.

This point gives me quite a lot of hope that Tilson will be here next season, we will not be paying silly wages, taking on players who only want to be here. It is a positive statement in my eyes.

Bring on League 2 !

Quite. We'll be in the Blue Sq Prem with Darlo, while Morecambe will continue to be in League Two. The arrogance of the man, and how ill-thought out his statements are from time to time, is astounding.

Is the whole world going bonkers?!

it was a flippant throw-away remark. I'm sure it was meant in jest, and he's just trying to suggest that he wants to get us back up the Leagues.

Personally I'm glad Ron still has a bit of humour intact.

Here's my take of what he has said;

“It’s very depressing that this has happened but the future of the football club remains almost unchanged,” said Martin. In other words, It doesn't matter if we're in the Prem League or a The Ryman South, RonaldWorld will be built

“People can dramatise these things but that’s a knee-jerk reaction. We have come such a long way off the field in the last four years that it’s unfair to say we’re back to square one. What has been dramatised? Court cases, unpaid wages, best players being sold off, Assistant manager sacked, Revs shipped out in a disgusting way. These are all facts. Not dramatisations.

“This is just a blip and in a few years time people won’t even remember it happened.” In a few years, he'll have delivered his shiny, new, mythical stadium and all will be forgiven.

Martin also confirmed that the plans for a new stadium at Fossetts Farm would also not be affected by the club suffering relegation, which was confirmed at Oldham Athletic on Saturday.

“It makes no difference to the stadium at all and we expect to start work in the summer,” said Martin. Why would it? As long as the property dveloper can develop this property, it makes no odds what League Southend are in.

And, when asked if the ground was necessary for games against the likes of Morecambe and Accrington Stanley, the Blues chairman replied: “We won’t be in same league as Morecambe by the time the stadium is finished.” Yep, we could be below them.

Martin added that he felt a lack of continuity in the team was to blame for the relegation although he also accepted his part in the criticism.

“I am not immune and at football clubs the buck stops with the chairman and manager,” said Martin. Erm, the reason for no continuity, was the fact we didn't sign anyone on a permanent, and had to resort to loan's. I'm pretty sure this isn't the managers fault.

“I fully understand how the late payment of wages affected people but the players did always know the money was in the pipeline and there have been a combination of factors in our struggles this season.”
It makes no odds. The players have bills to pay for, families to care for. It seems strange, that these 'combination of factors' all leadback to one place.

Despite that, Martin again reiterated that he would hold talks with manager Steve Tilson about his future at the end of the season but he did hint at possible player departures.

“Steve is already in talks with the players about their futures,” said Martin.

“We won’t keep anyone who doesn’t want to stay because that’s a very hard thing to do.”

Martin also confirmed that the club would cut the wage bill for next season.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The rest is pretty much as expected. A mass exodus, possibly including the most successful manager in the Club's history. We have 13 outfield players (plus 2 keepers). I can see at least 4 players leaving, possibly/probably more . So i'd love to hear what Ronald McDonald plans to do with the first team for next season

Can't believe Ron Martin talks as if promotion is a certainty. This is the man that said 'BELIEVE', as we are too good to go down. We would have finished bottom if it wasn't for Lee Barnard. We couldn't win a game after he went, not even 1 of all those winable games we had.

A lot of us said that we are pants with about 10 games to go, and that we are going down.

Even if the best players stay, probably about half will, we still need about 5 cracking new players, and better quality back up players, with a proper 24 goals plus striker a must.

Ron said a couple of weeks back that he would like next seasons squad to be 21 or 22 contract players, unless he is going to find 1 to 2 Million (transfer fee's, agents fee's and players wages) this is not going to happen, and we will probably finish mid table.

Do not underestimate the difficulty of getting out of League Two, please Ron.

For once, can't we give the guy a break?

Do some on here really want to read "I've been responsible for bringing a company within days of going to the wall and I am reckless and am gambling with a project that is probably beyond my means and to be honest this season has exposed me as a chancer"?

He's come as close as (IMO) he should professionally with saying that he has been reckless with the club this season and ended up with egg on his face. Some people just will not let this go and probably still won't when we're playing in a half full ground for the first few seasons saying "what was the point in 12,000 empty seats" etc but I think the thing to do is to just draw a line under this and see how it pans out in June/July.

If in early August we're kicking off with 2 subs on the bench (Tilly and Parms being the subs) then by all means it's time to get mad, but even then, what can we do? If he goes SUFC will still be his cash cow and family legacy, we'd have just gotten ourselves a new Ron Noades and become Crystal Palace 2.

“I am not immune and at football clubs the buck stops with the chairman and manager,” said Martin. Erm, the reason for no continuity, was the fact we didn't sign anyone on a permanent, and had to resort to loan's. I'm pretty sure this isn't the managers fault.

Id say that its even clearer than that, because of problems with salaries and prior to that the tax bill we had embargos applied which meant we couldnt even resort to loans.

The off the field issues played a major part in our on the pitch problems and Ron Martin has to hold his hands up.

He seems to be almost accepting some responsibility in there, but not enough.

Back