• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ron Martin's reaction to relegation

I don't choose to believe anything. I judge everything on it's merits. I've seen the accounts. They were signed off by auditors, were inspected by the Club's bank and haven't been queried. They make clear that the Club isn't paying for the new ground. Until anything happens that offers evidence to the contrary I'll accept it and will certainly not be afraid to challenge those on here passing on their own opinions as fact even when they aren't backed up by anything.

Our problems have nothing to do with the new ground. We won't own it and haven't been paying for it. We're suffering from a classic cashflow shortage. That's not a good thing - having cashflow problems is the worst thing that can happen to any business. We suffer from the problem because our outgoings far exceed our income and we don't, as a business, generate enough cash to cover our cashflow obligations. Hence why we've been borrowing money wherever we can and have been trying to get season ticket money as early as possible.

I'm certainly not pro-Ron Martin. I think the bulk of our problems stem back to massive losses caused by signing players we couldn't afford on big contracts which have ended up crippling us. But I wasn't complaining when we signed them. Neither were you. Personally I don't think we'll ever move to Fossetts Farm and I think that there's a far greater chance than a lot of people on here realise that ultimately we'll go to the wall. But right now I don't see much of an alternative and I don't see how Ron walking out at this stage would do anything other than kill off our last chance of survival.

That's what I'm led to believe too.

Legal fees for planning pernmission for FF?

To be fair that could be the one exception. We have legal bills in the administrative expenses, although they haven't increased those expenses to the point where it looks like something that is definitely related to the development. As Firestorms points out, our admin expenses have only risen £500k per year above what they were in the mid-90s.

Does anyone know who the planning permission is in the name of?

How do they make there money and pay there bills?

The same way as we paid our bills back in the days when we could pay our bills - complete reliance on a Parent.

To be honest I'm not sure I'm seeing the implication.

TBH, it's all a load of bollocks. In my book, Ron is playing a very dangerous game of poker, and using our club as his stake. A lot of people (and this isn't aimed at you Beefy, as i know you normally assume it is ;)) still believe he's doing what's best for us, and in the process, making some money on the side. This is wrong. He is doing what's best for Ron Martin, and if the club prospers, then it's a little bonus. However, it is just that. A little bonus.

I implore people not to get sucked into the illusion Ron gives a toss as to what league we're in, or what players we have, etc.

By hook or by crook he will achieve his long-term goal. If this is at the cost of Southend United Football Club, then so be it.

Last edited:
But he can't achieve his goals at the cost of Southend United. No Southend United = no Fossetts Farm = no fortune for Ron Martin.

...and that's me on Shrimperzone for a couple of weeks as I'm off on holiday. I look forward to having the same conversations over and over again when I get back! I hope everyone going to Southampton has an amazing day. Just forget about how **** this season has been and about how Ron is going to kill us and hos we're bound to get relegated next season and just have a party.

But he can't achieve his goals at the cost of Southend United. No Southend United = no Fossetts Farm = no fortune for Ron Martin.

Ron has used HMRC as a bank, borrowed money from X amount of places, blagged the courts 2/3 times, blagged Sainsburys, avoided paying wages for nearly a whole season, avoided investing money into the club -

I don't think a little issue of 'no football club', will hinder his efforts to get-rich-quick

...and that's me on Shrimperzone for a couple of weeks as I'm off on holiday. I look forward to having the same conversations over and over again when I get back! I hope everyone going to Southampton has an amazing day. Just forget about how **** this season has been and about how Ron is going to kill us and hos we're bound to get relegated next season and just have a party.

Enjoy Las Vegas, Beefy. But I'm sure that even the Yanks will have some sort of primitive internet access..... :)

Enjoy Las Vegas, Beefy. But I'm sure that even the Yanks will have some sort of primitive internet access..... :)

I'm sure that they do but I need a break from this place. This has been such a horrid season that I don't even want to think about Southend United, Sainsburys, HMRC, Bentleys or any of it. So if I do get online I'm determined not to check in here.

Ron has used HMRC as a bank, borrowed money from X amount of places, blagged the courts 2/3 times, blagged Sainsburys, avoided paying wages for nearly a whole season, avoided investing money into the club -

I don't think a little issue of 'no football club', will hinder his efforts to get-rich-quick

Must....... be......... strong........

:)

They have their own thread in the Finance & Stadium forum where they are broken down. I'm pretty sure you've even posted in that thread. And as ESB says, Firestorm mentions them on pretty much a daily basis.

And I am beginning to sound like a stuck record.

Perhaps someone else who has spent a bit of time of looking at the accounts for a few years might like to put their thoughts forward. Or maybe show where the money RM is said to have taken out of the club is actually shown in the accounts, because , to be honest, either I am the only one who thinks the accounts show what I am writing , or more worryingly ,a number of the financial opinions posted on here are not based on the actual accounts published on the published accounts.

And I am beginning to sound like a stuck record.

Perhaps someone else who has spent a bit of time of looking at the accounts for a few years might like to put their thoughts forward. Or maybe show where the money RM is said to have taken out of the club is actually shown in the accounts, because , to be honest, either I am the only one who thinks the accounts show what I am writing , or more worryingly ,a number of the financial opinions posted on here are not based on the actual accounts published on the published accounts.

You ARE right. Sadly, those that have an understanding are in the minority here, and don't post as often as they should! From what I can see there has been no money taken out of the club, just injections from parent companies.

And on the Planning costs of £2m(?), well it's blatently clear from the accounts that that was not paid by the club. They must have been paid by the property group - a football can not bear the brunt of costs that large!! haha

Disagreeing with the majority view does not mean that anyone is RM's puppet, and frankly it is getting tedious when the suggestion is made that posters who are happy to debate opinions in a non-confrontational way are somehow in the pay of, or in my case "up the arse" of anybody.

A sincere question. Would a major retailer with the resources and experience of Sainsburys get involved, not only with building on Roots Hall but also as co-developers of Fossets Farm, if they were not pretty sure that the whole project (and remember, they can't complete Roots Hall until we are in occupation of a new stadium) is going to get completed?

TBH, it's all a load of bollocks. In my book, Ron is playing a very dangerous game of poker, and using our club as his stake. A lot of people (and this isn't aimed at you Beefy, as i know you normally assume it is ;)) still believe he's doing what's best for us, and in the process, making some money on the side. This is wrong. He is doing what's best for Ron Martin, and if the club prospers, then it's a little bonus. However, it is just that. A little bonus.

I implore people not to get sucked into the illusion Ron gives a toss as to what league we're in, or what players we have, etc.

By hook or by crook he will achieve his long-term goal. If this is at the cost of Southend United Football Club, then so be it.

Why cant that be true?

Its far more likely that he is trying to progress the club than it is he is just out to make a buck at our expense !

If he was as you describe then why isnt he building a tin pot stadium like Col U's?

He would make far more money by building a cheap crappy little 15,000 stadium than by the plans he has.

Why are his plans so ambitious if he cares nothing about the club? It took pretty much everyone by surprise when we found out it was to be a 22,000 capacity stadium, if he isnt interested in the club why be more ambitious than the supporters?

Sorry but your view doesnt make sense when you look at it logically and just because we are in the mire doesnt mean thats how Ron wants us to be or that he doesnt care. The worst criticism I would aim at him is that he isnt managing the situation very well for whatever reason, I really dont see that he is this evil crook that many seem to paint him out to be.

In a few years we will see if he has delivered what he promised, its only then we can judge him and not in the middle of a very difficult project.

Disagreeing with the majority view does not mean that anyone is RM's puppet, and frankly it is getting tedious when the suggestion is made that posters who are happy to debate opinions in a non-confrontational way are somehow in the pay of, or in my case "up the arse" of anybody.

A sincere question. Would a major retailer with the resources and experience of Sainsburys get involved, not only with building on Roots Hall but also as co-developers of Fossets Farm, if they were not pretty sure that the whole project (and remember, they can't complete Roots Hall until we are in occupation of a new stadium) is going to get completed?

The stadium will get built, its just when instead of if.

The longer its delayed the longer our problems will persist.

Whilst things are worse than Id imagine they would get did people not really forsee that building a stadium would have a short term effect?

If we have 2 or 3 bad seasons and end up in the new stadium then its a hurdle we had to clear, thats all.

Even Arsenal had financial restraints when their stadium was built and it pulls in 3 million a match,

Last edited:
Back