• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ron Martin's reaction to relegation

The wage cap would instill prudence, although I think Rochdale splashed what cash they had in order to bring in Chris O'Grady. I guess that's the effect of spending 44 consecutive years in the bottom tier.

Would those MK figures instill you with any confidence FS?

M
The wage cap would instill prudence, although I think Rochdale splashed what cash they had in order to bring in Chris O'Grady. I guess that's the effect of spending 44 consecutive years in the bottom tier.

Would those MK figures instill you with any confidence FS?

There are notes to the accounts which indicate that Inter MK are not that flush themselves , whilst support has been guaranteed for the next year ,
which basically substantiates the comments on the Tilly to MK thread about tightening their belts.

Considering we had 95 staff to July 08 their wage bill is considerably more
95 staff a wage bill of 3.3M and other staff costs of 420K

MK have 79 staff wages of 3.9M and other staff casts of 437K

So I reckon there are a couple of big salaries in there,

M

There are notes to the accounts which indicate that Inter MK are not that flush themselves , whilst support has been guaranteed for the next year ,
which basically substantiates the comments on the Tilly to MK thread about tightening their belts.

Considering we had 95 staff to July 08 their wage bill is considerably more
95 staff a wage bill of 3.3M and other staff costs of 420K

MK have 79 staff wages of 3.9M and other staff casts of 437K

So I reckon there are a couple of big salaries in there,

Would ring true to what I've heard, that a number of the current playing squad (and Ince, more than likely) are on enormous salaries for League One football. MK have only paid transfer fees for a handful of players over the last four years, but compensate for this to tempt free agents in with high wages and signing on fees.

Would ring true to what I've heard, that a number of the current playing squad (and Ince, more than likely) are on enormous salaries for League One football. MK have only paid transfer fees for a handful of players over the last four years, but compensate for this to tempt free agents in with high wages and signing on fees.

The accounts only show 145k for each of the last two years for player trading expenses yet profit of 860K in 2009 and 1M in 2008

Without transfer fees , income less wages result in 2M lost for the last two years

I can't believe a thread called "Ron Martin's reaction to relegation" has run to 9 pages without anyone suggesting it might be....

:D:D:D:D:D

It's official. I have gone over to the dark side. I honestly now believe Ron Martin is the anti-Christ and without him everthing would be alright and we would all live happily ever after.

Disagreeing with the majority view does not mean that anyone is RM's puppet, and frankly it is getting tedious when the suggestion is made that posters who are happy to debate opinions in a non-confrontational way are somehow in the pay of, or in my case "up the arse" of anybody.

A sincere question. Would a major retailer with the resources and experience of Sainsburys get involved, not only with building on Roots Hall but also as co-developers of Fossets Farm, if they were not pretty sure that the whole project (and remember, they can't complete Roots Hall until we are in occupation of a new stadium) is going to get completed?

It WAS meant ,very much, as a tongue in cheek suggestion,Tom.Though I notice it hasn't been denied.;)

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/theblues/8122047.Ron_reacts_to_relegation/

SOUTHEND United chairman Ron Martin insists the future is still bright for Blues, despite their relegation.

Steve Tilson’s side will be back in League Two next season for the first time in five years.

But Martin remains convinced that the club will soon be on the way back up.

“It’s very depressing that this has happened but the future of the football club remains almost unchanged,” said Martin.

“People can dramatise these things but that’s a knee-jerk reaction. We have come such a long way off the field in the last four years that it’s unfair to say we’re back to square one.

“This is just a blip and in a few years time people won’t even remember it happened.”

Martin also confirmed that the plans for a new stadium at Fossetts Farm would also not be affected by the club suffering relegation, which was confirmed at Oldham Athletic on Saturday.

“It makes no difference to the stadium at all and we expect to start work in the summer,” said Martin.

And, when asked if the ground was necessary for games against the likes of Morecambe and Accrington Stanley, the Blues chairman replied: “We won’t be in same league as Morecambe by the time the stadium is finished.”

Martin added that he felt a lack of continuity in the team was to blame for the relegation although he also accepted his part in the criticism.

“I am not immune and at football clubs the buck stops with the chairman and manager,” said Martin.

“I fully understand how the late payment of wages affected people but the players did always know the money was in the pipeline and there have been a combination of factors in our struggles this season.”

Despite that, Martin again reiterated that he would hold talks with manager Steve Tilson about his future at the end of the season but he did hint at possible player departures.

“Steve is already in talks with the players about their futures,” said Martin.

“We won’t keep anyone who doesn’t want to stay because that’s a very hard thing to do.”

Martin also confirmed that the club would cut the wage bill for next season.

FULL STORY IN TUESDAY AND WEDNESDAY'S ECHO

11 years ago this week this was first posted.

You’ve got to admire Ron’s stamina, doggedness and bloody mindless. He was 45 years old when he took control in 1998 and was 68 in January.

The only thing he might be right about is Morecambe being in a different League when(if) the new ground is built.

He might find National League Boardrooms slightly less plush than
those he has been used to frequenting. Poor Ron.

Nothing changes .......

What excuses will he come up with this time round?

11 years ago this week this was first posted.

You’ve got to admire Ron’s stamina, doggedness and bloody mindless. He was 45 years old when he took control in 1998 and was 68 in January.

The only thing he might be right about is Morecambe being in a different League when(if) the new ground is built.

He might find National League Boardrooms slightly less plush than
those he has been used to frequenting. Poor Ron.

Nothing changes .......

What excuses will he come up with this time round?

I don't know but you can bet your life he will blame everyone but himself

I don't know but you can bet your life he will blame everyone but himself

Of course he will - he then chooses to offer a 3 year deal to the manager he repeatedly heaped the most blame on for our financial struggles. Regardless of whether or not PB is the right person to take us forward the decisions of our chairman are baffling.

Last edited:
So he said this in 2010.

“This is just a blip and in a few years time people won’t even remember it happened.”

Martin also confirmed that the plans for a new stadium at Fossetts Farm would also not be affected by the club suffering relegation, which was confirmed at Oldham Athletic on Saturday.

“It makes no difference to the stadium at all and we expect to start work in the summer,” said Martin.

“I am not immune and at football clubs the buck stops with the chairman and manager,” said Martin.

So he said this in 2010.

Makes you feel sick honestly, we've all been taken for a ride for the last 11 years.

I said on a previous thread if he knew then what he knows now would he have taken this on because at 68 will he have much time to enjoy his pot of ?
I was thinking this, he is running out of time to actually enjoy his retirement. Perhaps Stanley’s offer is a quicker way out? Could he be tempted?

Well, on Stan’s thread he seems to be suggesting an offer to Ron to talk. Nothing more at this stage until Ron has any appetite to talk to anyone. But I know I wouldn’t like to still be chasing my pension at 68!

forgive me for asking as i havent read every thread here ,but people keep saying Tilsons side will be back in league 2 very soon ,am i missing something (TILSONS SIDE )

Back