• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ron Martin's reaction to relegation

Onion_Bag_Dave

YEELLLOOOWWWSSS
http://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/theblues/8122047.Ron_reacts_to_relegation/

SOUTHEND United chairman Ron Martin insists the future is still bright for Blues, despite their relegation.

Steve Tilson’s side will be back in League Two next season for the first time in five years.

But Martin remains convinced that the club will soon be on the way back up.

“It’s very depressing that this has happened but the future of the football club remains almost unchanged,” said Martin.

“People can dramatise these things but that’s a knee-jerk reaction. We have come such a long way off the field in the last four years that it’s unfair to say we’re back to square one.

“This is just a blip and in a few years time people won’t even remember it happened.”

Martin also confirmed that the plans for a new stadium at Fossetts Farm would also not be affected by the club suffering relegation, which was confirmed at Oldham Athletic on Saturday.

“It makes no difference to the stadium at all and we expect to start work in the summer,” said Martin.

And, when asked if the ground was necessary for games against the likes of Morecambe and Accrington Stanley, the Blues chairman replied: “We won’t be in same league as Morecambe by the time the stadium is finished.”

Martin added that he felt a lack of continuity in the team was to blame for the relegation although he also accepted his part in the criticism.

“I am not immune and at football clubs the buck stops with the chairman and manager,” said Martin.

“I fully understand how the late payment of wages affected people but the players did always know the money was in the pipeline and there have been a combination of factors in our struggles this season.”

Despite that, Martin again reiterated that he would hold talks with manager Steve Tilson about his future at the end of the season but he did hint at possible player departures.

“Steve is already in talks with the players about their futures,” said Martin.

“We won’t keep anyone who doesn’t want to stay because that’s a very hard thing to do.”

Martin also confirmed that the club would cut the wage bill for next season.

FULL STORY IN TUESDAY AND WEDNESDAY'S ECHO

“This is just a blip and in a few years time people won’t even remember it happened.”
Hate it when he says this as if he knows exactly how the futures going to pan out. Not even Ron with all his spin can make this situation even nearly positive.

So in other words, no money for players next season yet again.

It doesn't say that at all, just that, as expected, we'll be cutting the wage bill i.e. High earners will be leaving or reducing their wages.

To have League Two players on up to £3kp/w would be ludicrous.

It doesn't say that at all, just that, as expected, we'll be cutting the wage bill i.e. High earners will be leaving or reducing their wages.

To have League Two players on up to £3kp/w would be ludicrous.

im not sure any of our players are on that much...

I hate his assumption about how we won't be playing Morecambe when the stadium is finished. They have a better team than we do currently.

im not sure any of our players are on that much...

RM inferred that Barrett was on around about £3kp/w and I wouldn't be surprised if the likes of Francis, McCormack and Mildenhall are on around the £2k+ mark, perhaps taking home more with bonuses. Obviously that probably won't be the case when relegation clauses are activated...

I'll be interested to know what kind of wages Rochdale or Bradford offer to be honest, as that's the kind of club we'll be competing with.

RM inferred that Barrett was on around about £3kp/w and I wouldn't be surprised if the likes of Francis, McCormack and Mildenhall are on around the £2k+ mark. Obviously that probably won't be the case when relegation clauses are activated...

I'll be interested to know what kind of wages Rochdale or Bradford offer to be honest, as that's the kind of club we'll be competing with.

You mean the Rochdale that won promotion?

Im not happy with the way he talks about us being so superior to other clubs like Morecambe, we are in there division because we have had a terrible season on an off the field, its not going to be easy getting out of league 2

Exactly... They're probably of a similar size to us at this moment in time and have a good squad for that level, with a few players who would be comfortable in League One.

Rochdale are similar in size to us?

With regards to what?

If you are talking about general stature, then you must be joking right?

They are a small club who get less than 4,000 fans in a promotion season. They have just gained the above for the first time ever. They have never won a trophy of any sort!

Last edited:
And Bradford who have an average gate of over 11,000?

Courtesy of reduced ticket prices...

I'm not saying those are the teams we should be emulating, just the teams I'd be interested to see their wage expenditure in comparison to ours because of them sharing the same goals as we will next season and being subject to the 60% wage cap.

I don't think trips to the High Court to avert two winding-up orders, and relegation with a couple of weeks to spare, would necessarily mean criticism for the season being a 'knee-jerk reaction'.

Rochdale are similar in size to us?

With regards to what?

If you are talking about general stature, then you must be joking right?

Not general stature, despite promotion they'll be lucky to average 5/6,000 despite the novelty of being in a league other than the fourth tier, but in terms of playing staff and financial position.

Rochdale had an average attendance of 3328 last season when getting promoted for the first time in 40 years, and you are comparing them to us?

What planet are you on?

Rochdale had an average attendance of 3328 last season when getting promoted for the first time in 40 years, and you are comparing them to us?

What planet are you on?

I'm comparing them to us because, like it or lump it, they're bypassing us into the third tier and I, for one, would be interested to see what kind of wage expenditure they have.

And, when asked if the ground was necessary for games against the likes of Morecambe and Accrington Stanley, the Blues chairman replied: “We won’t be in same league as Morecambe by the time the stadium is finished.”

This statement is shocking. The arrogance of the man continues to shock me. Is this also not the same individual who took umbridge when (Birmingham or West Brom) complained about having to play us the year after the were relegated to the CCC (& we were promoted to it)?

Unfortunately, Ronald we are now L2 on merit and it's 99.9% your fault matey!

Back