• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ron on Talksport now

Interesting how Simon Jordan showed plenty of empathy towards Ron. Simon is no shrinking violet and not scared of asking very challenging questions - he’ll rinse someone given a sniff….

But by extension, that is blaming the managers entirely for what went wrong for them here. Completely disingenuous. He is revising history by completely missing out the 4 months of transfer restrictions at the start of Molesley's reign, which were caused by him and which undermined the manager's attempt to really improve his squad. Did Molesley cause the transfer sanctions? No, he didn't. Ron Martin did, because he does not have the money to fund a competitive football club consistently yet continues to cling on so that he can win his pot of golf. To blame the manager, which is exactly what he is doing through him claiming that he appointed the wrong people, is tone deaf. Mark Molesley was never provided with the environment or tools to be a success here, and that is on Ron Martin.

And he accepted that by saying it was his fault and you've just said that yourself.

It was a very short interview and given the air time I'm sure he would have broken it down by manager as to why it was his fault. It was just quicker (for the sake of the interview) to say it was his fault and he did.

I sit on the fence because I'm neither a Ron lover or hater, so maybe I listened to the interview with more of an open mind than the Ron haters, who will only hear what they want to hear.

I have to say, it was a very good interview where he took a lot on the chin and accepted a lot of responsibilty.

I love how he blames the managers he chose, but fails to mention that one of them in particular was hamstrung by transfer restrictions for his first 4 months in the job when the squad badly needed strengthening, which was all Ron Martin's doing.

The inability to actually take any real responsibility for this is astounding.

I thought he said he got it wrong. That said, he didn't mention that whoever got the job (previous to PB) would be set up for failure given how he left the club in an embargo for over a year.

The usual stuff from Ron really.
No mention of Stan. Mentioned Tom Lawrence and what a good job he is doing.
Pleaded for unity. Talking to managerial candidates and hopeful of appointing someone by the end of next week. He described the team who will selecting the manager as a "committee".
He admitted he'd got previous managerial appointments wrong and that PB perhaps wasn't as motivated as he thought and didn't need the job due to the stage of life he's now at.
Oh....and he admitted that he may have taken his eye off the ball, particularly during lockdown, having previously always liked to micro manage the club.
I thought he told Chris Phillips recently that he hadn't taken his eye off the ball?!

Personally I don't see that as a stick to beat him up with. I see that as him actually changing his mind and realising that maybe it is actually true.

It certainly seemed that way to me.

we will see when he has been in charge for the full season wont we .
I’d suggest in two or three years’ time tbh. We really need to adjust our sights to the longer term.

It’s the same with whoever we appoint: we may have an idea what way they are trending but they won’t have had a pre-season with the players, they’ll be working with players they inherited rather than chose. A good manager will be planting seeds that will bear fruit further down the line.

No surprise that it sounds like PB was stealing a living second time round. Shame he didn’t notice his lack of effort at the end of last season.

All respect for PB now completely gone. Clearly no love for a club that was in dire need when he returned. See you later Phil.

Interesting how Simon Jordan showed plenty of empathy towards Ron. Simon is no shrinking violet and not scared of asking very challenging questions - he’ll rinse someone given a sniff….
Wouldn't look too much into that, bloke is a complete weirdo. 'Chairman alliance' or something like that. Remember on a previous call he was trying to say to True Blue that Ron's served us well because at least were not bust...

I’m seeing the Ron/anti Ron debate along similar lines to Biden/Trump and vax/anti-vax. Many of those on a certain side of the fence (either side) with a blind belief and ignoring facts. I just listened to the interview. Did you?

Wouldn't look too much into that, bloke is a complete weirdo. 'Chairman alliance' or something like that. Remember on a previous call he was trying to say to True Blue that Ron's served us well because at least were not bust...
Well we’re not bust are we?
Ultimately it’s Ron’s cash that has been put in, over and above club generated income, and will continue to be put in.
Without the extra cash we wouldn’t be here.
Like it or not it’s a fact.

Before you jump on my comments…..

Has the club income and Ron’s extra cash been spent wisely?

No, of course not.

Ultimately Ron is at fault for the managerial appointments, and lack of control/due diligence.

Ultimately it’s Ron’s cash that has been put in, over and above club generated income, and will continue to be put in.

No, of course not.

Ultimately Ron is at fault for the managerial appointments, and lack of control/due diligence.
In a nutshell, this is pretty much where most of us should be thinking. Nice one JD.

I’m seeing the Ron/anti Ron debate along similar lines to Biden/Trump and vax/anti-vax. Many of those on a certain side of the fence (either side) with a blind belief and ignoring facts. I just listened to the interview. Did you?
Not wanting to bring politics into it I agree is a sad fact that these days often you have to be at one extreme at the other- if you're not completely on side then your against us- it works both ways of course but makes somewhere in between sometimes very uncomfortable as you can get it from both sides :-) !!.

No, of course not.

In a nutshell, this is pretty much where most of us should be thinking. Nice one JD.
Ron's words on talkSPORT were a clever way of making it look like he was taking some blame, whilst in reality actually blaming his managers. "They were **** but I appointed them so it's my fault". But is it as simple as "they were ****"? Because he was also careful to omit pertinent details. For example, the fact that Mark Molesley spent his first 4 months at the club being hamstrung by transfer restrictions and a registration embargo at a time when the squad desperately needed an overhaul, and that MM and other managers had to manage players who were being paid late or were still awaiting deferred furlough monies. Whose fault was that? It certainly wasn't the fault of those managers. You can't put all of the blame on managers, or even suggest the mistake was appointing them in the first place, when you're giving them an almost impossible environment to work in.

Also, let's not beat around the bush here.......it's not his money is it? He doesn't have any. He's a small-time, cowboy property developer with delusions of grandeur when in reality, the only thing his company has done is build a few houses and flats in South Essex. Money he is funneling into the club comes from loans from his property development partners, and the club's debt to him is a paper one which is being used on the accounts of his web of 30 other insolvent companies to keep them afloat and make them appear more attractive to do business with.

Back