• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ron on Talksport this morning

Lincoln Shrimp

First XI⭐
Ron will be on the Jim White show this morning discussing the financial implications of the Coronavirus and the possibility of null and voiding the 19/20 season.
Not sure what time he will be on but will keep listening.

He actually made some fair points .. I'm sure the majority will pick holes though. We know we are skint, Ron knows we are skint. Interesting the clamour for a 'rescue package' from the Premier League clubs .. Ron made the point over who would get what..for example what might be a drop in the ocean for a Sunderland may be a godsend to us. How would they even manage that and ensure fair and proper dispersal of monies? I'd say, don't rule anything out .. these are weird old times.

Oh by the way it *sounds like* Ron's favoured option is a null and void of the L1 season. Doesn't sound like he wants to have to deal with the issue of out of contract players.

He actually made some fair points .. I'm sure the majority will pick holes though. We know we are skint, Ron knows we are skint. Interesting the clamour for a 'rescue package' from the Premier League clubs .. Ron made the point over who would get what..for example what might be a drop in the ocean for a Sunderland may be a godsend to us. How would they even manage that and ensure fair and proper dispersal of monies? I'd say, don't rule anything out .. these are weird old times.

Oh by the way it *sounds like* Ron's favoured option is a null and void of the L1 season. Doesn't sound like he wants to have to deal with the issue of out of contract players.
I wonder why that might be? :Smile:

On the latter point all these contracts are individual between player and club- as much as it might be helpful to imagine it, they is probably no practical or legal way of simply blanket extending the contracts- and often one party or the other or both will actively not want to. Individually negotiating each expiring contract? We want to keep you for the next 3 months- no I'm not signing for any less than a year and I want more money...I struggle to believe clubs and agents wont make the process a complete nightmare so he's right.

Ron's always happy to talk to Jim White because he never gets any scrutiny.

Mind you to be fair this was a more general issue about the fate of lower league clubs in the wake of this virus and he did come across quite well.

An interesting interview and Ron’s comments were as insightful as anything else that has been said in relation to what will/should happen to this season. The difficulties of what could happen and the ramifications of any particular decision taken are legion, as we all know. I was rather hoping, though, that Jim White might press Ron for what all this might mean for Southend United as a going concern but for some reason he declined to question Ron on the things that Southend supporters want answers about. Shame but I guess this is for another day. Interestingly, Ron did not think the Coronavirus situation would lead to club closures.

Is anybody still prepared to say we should have made six, seven or even eight signings in the last transfer window?
At last something seems to have worked out in our favour, albeit due to tragic circumstances.

Ron came across quite well. Certainly never gave any hints of us going bust like so many on here seem so convinced of.

The timing is perfect for him to start making excuses but he strongly hinted that he will be supplying the money.......As he has done for the last 22 years.

It was not about SUFC but there was still enough there to be positive.....Unless your the sort of person who spends a Sunday panic buying in Sainsburys.

Back