• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

He's been sent off once since 2009 in 120 games. As I said before, he isn't daft.

From where I was sitting yesterday, when he was booked he had both feet off the floor and another ref could easily have given a straight red for that. He was very lucky not to get a second red of his career.

What I will say is that we will see how much the team miss his style of football in the next game, as he will be missing due to suspension!

Agreed !

Deeg could have been booked in the first few minutes tugging their left winger several times.

That tackle has no place in the game,violent and career threatening.

A shirt tug that the ref never even blew up on and a strong trip.....The worst player was their 14 Colin Daniel with that tackle just before half time. He was sneaky all game, he even injured Prosser by pulling him backwards when Luke had won a clean header. A dangerous foul even in rugby.

You don't take one for the team in the middle of the pitch when the entire defence is ready and waiting, plus the guy was half way inside the half, not on the edge of the box, as for Weston mugging grant, really, it was right in front of us, Weston and grant had a tussle and Weston was stronger that's all, grant was silly to pick up the booking, but, he could have got away with it, Deegan was simply reckless. Would people honestly be saying that if he had snapped the guys leg in half? There is a huge difference between the Deegan tackle and let's say the white booking.

That's exactly where you should be taking your yellow, not within free kick distance. Just like Shrewsbury did to Noel Hunt when he would have been clean through.

The ref was lenient IMO ,Deegs variation of cleaning out the oppo was more suited to rugby or wrestling,the modern game requires all 11 remaining on the pitch,Phil gave him the hook to save Deeg and the team.

Rubbish. Going down to 10 men tends not to impact the result if the sending off doesn't happen early.
http://ftp.iza.org/dp2158.pdf

We've all watched frustrating matches where we've struggled to break down teams who are a player down.

One of Deegan's main jobs is to break down play, win tackles and win the midfield for us. It is clearly going to be the case that poor and reckless challenges are going to happen from time to time. He's also there to take those professional fouls and stop breaks. We can replace him as we did yesterday, or deal with the (rare) situation when he's sent off.

Last edited:
A shirt tug that the ref never even blew up on and a strong trip.....The worst player was their 14 Colin Daniel with that tackle just before half time. He was sneaky all game, he even injured Prosser by pulling him backwards when Luke had won a clean header. A dangerous foul even in rugby.

As I said the ref was lenient,Deeg was done on pace and 3 times he grabbed the wingers shoulder,another day and another ref could have given him yellow for that.

As I said the ref was lenient,Deeg was done on pace and 3 times he grabbed the wingers shoulder,another day and another ref could have given him yellow for that.

That was actually their 9 Ikpeazu. On other days he has been skipping past challenges and winning games for Vale. But not yesterday. Why ? .......Deegan Bolger Prosser and Bentley all made Got stuck into him and spoilt his day.

I missed the Burton game but have seen 5 wins in arrow since our poor performance against Shrewsbury, where we were bullied of the ball. My man of the five matches would be Deegan from the moment he flattened a Millwall player in the first minute the rest of the team have been right up for it. As we all witnessed yesterday.

Avery close second for the same 5 games would be Bolger and of course Bentley.

Oh dear, Deeg is a very naughty boy and one not suitable to play for The SUFC :unsure: I suppose the same people who are so critical of him would have never allowed Lee Cattermole, Frank Queudrue, Roy Keane, John Hartson or Richard Dunne to have signed for us? Or maybe they would have asked them to change their game :hilarious:.

Look on the bright side. Gerardo Bedoya got sent off at least 43 times and he had a host of clubs that valued his services. Even our own Donut is exalted.

Oh dear, Deeg is a very naughty boy and one not suitable to play for The SUFC :unsure: I suppose the same people who are so critical of him would have never allowed Lee Cattermole, Frank Queudrue, Roy Keane, John Hartson or Richard Dunne to have signed for us? Or maybe they would have asked them to change their game :hilarious:.

Look on the bright side. Gerardo Bedoya got sent off at least 43 times and he had a host of clubs that valued his services. Even our own Donut is exalted.

If you want to see potential leg breaking tackles then that's your thing,I and many others don't wish to see our or opposition players badly injured.

Its a game that is all it is.

If you want to see potential leg breaking tackles then that's your thing,I and many others don't wish to see our or opposition players badly injured.

Well it' a good job no opponents were badly injured yesterday, in fact can you name a time in the past year when Deegan badly injured an opponent? No? Thought not.

It was a hard game of football yesterday, given a couple of exceptions, there was little of the niggly, cynical types of fouls, but there were some hard challenges.
The ref didnt wrap the players in cotton wool and,was consistent. To me it was a passionate commited game of football and I really enjoyed it.
I did think that Deegans booking was a wasted yellow, the player didn't appear to be a "game changer" and it was a bit too close to our goal for comfort.

Well it' a good job no opponents were badly injured yesterday, in fact can you name a time in the past year when Deegan badly injured an opponent? No? Thought not.

His horror tackle yesterday has no place in the game,go in hard and fair yeah great,but taking out a player is not the done thing IMO.

Deeg has proved he can clatter the oppo fairly without risking everything for himself and the opponent.

Nobody wants to see broken legs. The heavy challenge/poor tackle is often a) taking one for the time or b) mistiming. It is part and parcel of football at every level and players, like Deegan, are brought in to sides specifically for their 'robustness.' So now you have to go back on your original post and criticise Ron for hiring Phil, who in turn signed The Deegmeister.

His horror tackle yesterday has no place in the game,go in hard and fair yeah great,but taking out a player is not the done thing IMO.

Deeg has proved he can clatter the oppo fairly without risking everything for himself and the opponent.

When a player is running way from you and you catch him from behind it can never be a horror tackle. So the Vale player rolled around a bit, but he was never hurt.

By the way Deegan likes his yoga, so if his style of football is too scary for some perhaps you should come to a yoga class he's never even been spoken to, let alone issued a yellow by any of the teachers.

What was worse then anything Deegan did was the way their no.11 went down like he had been shot a few minutes before the end on the edge of our box clutching his leg and rolling around, as soon as he saw the ref wasn't having it and we were on the counter he jumped up and sprinted back.

Give me a robust challenge over a cheating scumbag any day.

When a player is running way from you and you catch him from behind it can never be a horror tackle. So the Vale player rolled around a bit, but he was never hurt.

By the way Deegan likes his yoga, so if his style of football is too scary for some perhaps you should come to a yoga class he's never even been spoken to, let alone issued a yellow by any of the teachers.
Exactly, he was fine to carry on, jesus Dave Martin wouldn't have stayed on the pitch for 5 minutes these days, the 80's saw some real horror challenges compared to the powder puff stuff we see now, one professional foul and all hell breaks loose on SZ :smile:

Exactly, he was fine to carry on, jesus Dave Martin wouldn't have stayed on the pitch for 5 minutes these days, the 80's saw some real horror challenges compared to the powder puff stuff we see now, one professional foul and all hell breaks loose on SZ :smile:
Your definition of 'all hell breaking loose' is even more exaggerated than the 'career-ending' nature of Deegan's tackle. :smile:

Obviously not the best tackle of his career, but it's also obvious to all of us what Deegan is about. It's been some time since we've had that sort of battle in the centre of the pitch. I remember not being sure about whether he could be good enough for League One at the beginning of this season but he's more than shown what he's capable of. He lifts us and he lifts the crowd. It's a bi-product that that type of player is more prone to be sent off, but his actual bookings/sending off record speaks for itself in proving him to be hard but fair. He's a long way from consistently reckless.

What was worse then anything Deegan did was the way their no.11 went down like he had been shot a few minutes before the end on the edge of our box clutching his leg and rolling around, as soon as he saw the ref wasn't having it and we were on the counter he jumped up and sprinted back.

Give me a robust challenge over a cheating scumbag any day.

Can I just ask your opinion of Ryan Leonard?

Nobody wants to see broken legs. The heavy challenge/poor tackle is often a) taking one for the time or b) mistiming. It is part and parcel of football at every level and players, like Deegan, are brought in to sides specifically for their 'robustness.' So now you have to go back on your original post and criticise Ron for hiring Phil, who in turn signed The Deegmeister.

Deeg has no need for that particular type of foul,he is plenty tough enough to go in hard but fair.

He could have pulled the guy,blocked him which is IMO taking one for the team.

The art of a tough combative midfielder IMO is gain the rep for being strong and powerful,not for crazy challenges in central mid.

Back