• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Your definition of 'all hell breaking loose' is even more exaggerated than the 'career-ending' nature of Deegan's tackle. :smile:

Obviously not the best tackle of his career, but it's also obvious to all of us what Deegan is about. It's been some time since we've had that sort of battle in the centre of the pitch. I remember not being sure about whether he could be good enough for League One at the beginning of this season but he's more than shown what he's capable of. He lifts us and he lifts the crowd. It's a bi-product that that type of player is more prone to be sent off, but his actual bookings/sending off record speaks for itself in proving him to be hard but fair. He's a long way from consistently reckless.
Apologies but I thought a reference to mrsblues knickers being twisted or wet might not be politically correct :smile:

Deeg has no need for that particular type of foul,he is plenty tough enough to go in hard but fair.

He could have pulled the guy,blocked him which is IMO taking one for the team.

The art of a tough combative midfielder IMO is gain the rep for being strong and powerful,not for crazy challenges in central mid.

you start a thread to admit you are clueless and got it wrong on all 3 fronts....then you continue arguing against your original point. You are the most clueless fella on here by a mile.

Deegz challange was standard and has PLENTY of room in football. Give me that over a diving scum (Leonard included). I bet not one CM has enjoyed there game when up against Deegan and that's what we need.

you start a thread to admit you are clueless and got it wrong on all 3 fronts....then you continue arguing against your original point. You are the most clueless fella on here by a mile.

Deegz challange was standard and has PLENTY of room in football. Give me that over a diving scum (Leonard included). I bet not one CM has enjoyed there game when up against Deegan and that's what we need.

Clueless as usual !

I think we should get rid of any player that commits professional or industrious fouls, any player that dives, any player that tries to con the ref and any player that swears. This is the mighty SUFC and we cannot be seen to tolerate the unsporting or undignified. Then we should give the managers job to mrsblue and allow her the opportunity to preside over a team that drops into football oblivion.

I was critical of Deegan for his challenge in the Scunthorpe game which I thought was reckless and could have easily resulted in a serious injury. He also picked up a needless yellow card for it.

His tackle yesterday looked more of a trip and the player was getting a way from him. As with Grants holding of Weston it was more of "professional foul" for which he was rightfully booked. It might not be right but it is part of football. As such I would not crticise Deegan for it.

Deegan is suspended now - not so much for yesterdays challenge but more for picking up needless yellows in earlier matches.

The very late tackle on Leonard on the halfway line in the 1st half was 10 times as worse as Deegans. red card for me all day long.

Yes Deegan's was a yellow, but I don't think it was that reckless. Just a bit synical.

Are people really asking a player who run the midfield to be dropped because he might get booked? as soon as he got booked yesterday he didn't go in with another tackle, his not stupid.

What a stupid thing to say. My point is that his tackle was reckless, there was nothing hard about it, nothing mis timed about it, the guy beat him him he couldn't catch him so he cleaned him out. If that's what you want to see then fine. Take whites yellow card which I thought was harsh as I thought he won the ball, he went for the ball, was hard in the tackle but was unlucky, Deegan was none of those. I like Deegan, recently he has done a good job for the side, but needs to learn to stop picking up yellows for reckless tackles that's all I'm saying.

Sometimes when a guy goes past you you have to clean him out - what's the alternative? We have an excellent defensive record - every time Sky has a reporter there they make mention of it. Part of Deegan's job is to sit in front of the back four and shield them. In this role, more than any other in the team, it's usually necessary a couple of times a game to take someone down. As such bookings are an occupational hazard and if I was his manager I'd have no issues with this part of his game. Ryan Leonard will probably have to do the same when Deegan gets suspended.

Sometimes when a guy goes past you you have to clean him out - what's the alternative? We have an excellent defensive record - every time Sky has a reporter there they make mention of it. Part of Deegan's job is to sit in front of the back four and shield them. In this role, more than any other in the team, it's usually necessary a couple of times a game to take someone down. As such bookings are an occupational hazard and if I was his manager I'd have no issues with this part of his game. Ryan Leonard will probably have to do the same when Deegan gets suspended.

I must admit that I was fearing a red for Deegan following the tackle. From where I was (south upper) it certainly looked like he jumped in with no chance of winning the ball. Maybe that's just due to today's climate where any mistimed tackle can be interpreted as a red, however I was relieved when the yellow came out.

The very late tackle on Leonard on the halfway line in the 1st half was 10 times as worse as Deegans. red card for me all day long.

Yes Deegan's was a yellow, but I don't think it was that reckless. Just a bit synical.

Are people really asking a player who run the midfield to be dropped because he might get booked? as soon as he got booked yesterday he didn't go in with another tackle, his not stupid.

Difficult to tell how bad it was, Leonard gives that reaction when he gets a paper cut.

Oh dear, Deeg is a very naughty boy and one not suitable to play for The SUFC :unsure: I suppose the same people who are so critical of him would have never allowed Lee Cattermole, Frank Queudrue, Roy Keane, John Hartson or Richard Dunne to have signed for us? Or maybe they would have asked them to change their game :hilarious:.

Look on the bright side. Gerardo Bedoya got sent off at least 43 times and he had a host of clubs that valued his services. Even our own Donut is exalted.

I never said I didn't want him in the team

I know the job he does and think he's being doing it well at the moment; however he needs to stop getting needless yellow cards

If I really didn't want him in the side, then wouldn't I be happy he keeps getting booked, as then he'll be suspended often and out of the team!!!

I was critical of Deegan for his challenge in the Scunthorpe game which I thought was reckless and could have easily resulted in a serious injury. He also picked up a needless yellow card for it.

His tackle yesterday looked more of a trip and the player was getting a way from him. As with Grants holding of Weston it was more of "professional foul" for which he was rightfully booked. It might not be right but it is part of football. As such I would not crticise Deegan for it.

Deegan is suspended now - not so much for yesterdays challenge but more for picking up needless yellows in earlier matches.

Im sorry but to suggest the tackle was a trip, or as someone else said was a clip from behind would suggest they didn't attend the game. Deegan cleaned him out big time. Look, Deegan is a hard combative and in many ways old fashioned type of midfielder. Undoubtably he has done a very good job for the team and for that he deserves praise. But, he has to stop picking up yellow cards for reckless tackles. He is now suspended as a result. However, sooner or later a ref will see one of these tackles very differently and will result in a red and could result in us losing a game. I think he is fast becoming a cult hero, but I think that's because of the beard more than his ability to play football. All these tackles and aggression are making him out to be some sort of hero, but not necessarily for the right reasons.

Im sorry but to suggest the tackle was a trip, or as someone else said was a clip from behind would suggest they didn't attend the game. Deegan cleaned him out big time. Look, Deegan is a hard combative and in many ways old fashioned type of midfielder. Undoubtably he has done a very good job for the team and for that he deserves praise. But, he has to stop picking up yellow cards for reckless tackles. He is now suspended as a result. However, sooner or later a ref will see one of these tackles very differently and will result in a red and could result in us losing a game. I think he is fast becoming a cult hero, but I think that's because of the beard more than his ability to play football. All these tackles and aggression are making him out to be some sort of hero, but not necessarily for the right reasons.

Or it could result in us keep winning and climbing up L1. Since he came into the side we have won 5 out of 6 and if he gets suspended that's a price anyone in football would take.

Or it could result in us keep winning and climbing up L1. Since he came into the side we have won 5 out of 6 and if he gets suspended that's a price anyone in football would take.
Exactly and we will still lose the odd game but if we can win 4 out of 6 consistently i'll be like a dog with 2 sausages :smile:

You mean like playing a key part in our up turn in fortunes? Time to admit your wrong on this one...

Back