• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ron provides another managerial update

Oh gawd, please, no! Certain people thought Phil Brown had a huge ego, I think this appointment might well convince them otherwise!

Self belief is no bad thing if you're where we are at the moment, and I'm happy to entertain his ego if he can replicate what he did with Macclesfield who were in a very similar state to us.

Really can't get my head around why people are so against Sol Campbell potentially being named manager? He's got so much winning experience as a player plus managerial experience at a club in a similar situation and with similar constraints as ours.

Really can't get my head around why people are so against Sol Campbell potentially being named manager? He's got so much winning experience as a player plus managerial experience at a club in a similar situation and with similar constraints as ours.
I agree will be a great choice

The bloke has an ego to dwarf Phil Brown. All about him. Absolute poison

I can think of one obvious reason they are against him and it's nothing to do with his capability to do the job

If people are so sure it's Sol, then they should definitely lump on with the bookies who still have him at 20/1, behind Barrett (4/5), Larsson (13/8) and Harris (8/1)

I've now been updated that the players now believe that it will be Barrett, but I kind of get the impression that they don't know at all. Been told that 2 players that have quite a bit of "player power" are making the speculation. Players have day off tomorrow so the thinking is there will be no announcement tomorrow.

I've actually had quite an in depth update of what a certain player thinks the issues are and it doesn't surprise me at all. Certain players having too much of a say, we need strong leadership.

I don't get it either. Yes he had a chip on his shoulder at times, and left Macclesfield a bit oddly, but...…..

One of the best English defenders of the past 20 years, bags and bags of experience at the top level.

High profile due to the above.

Should have the respect of the players due to the above.

Did an amazing job at Macclesfield turning around a club (that weren't as bad as we are) and keeping them up with zero resources and crowds of 2500

Also Macclesfield are doing OK in midtable this season, so he must of put some sort of foundation in place.

I am against him because he has not got any experience at our level. Ok so he kept Macclesfield in the league but what did he do at Notts County? Are we really so defeatist that we consider ourselves a struggling league two side? Yes he was an outstanding player, yes he played for a great manager at a great club but so did Tony Adams and look at his managerial career! Look at Roy Keane also......great players do not make great managers necessarily......
I would prefer someone who is tried and tested at his level or at least has some experience with the club........thats my personal opinion, no doubt others will have differing views

I think Sol's "chip on his shoulder" is completely understandable. Look at his peers who have comparable playing CVs and look at the jobs they have walked into whereas Sol had to apply for everything going and only got a chance at a club favourite to drop out of the football league. He went in got his hands dirty and achieved something nobody thought he would. 1st choice for me, I think if we miss this opportunity that in a few years time we'll be looking at Sol achieving things elsewhere and be cursing the day we missed out.

I am against him because he has not got any experience at our level. Ok so he kept Macclesfield in the league but what did he do at Notts County? Are we really so defeatist that we consider ourselves a struggling league two side? Yes he was an outstanding player, yes he played for a great manager at a great club but so did Tony Adams and look at his managerial career! Look at Roy Keane also......great players do not make great managers necessarily......
I would prefer someone who is tried and tested at his level or at least has some experience with the club........thats my personal opinion, no doubt others will have differing views

Lol so you want someone tried and tested at this level OR has experience with the club - (assuming that's specifically so you can justify why you'd want AB above Sol?)

Sol Campbell has no experience at League 1 level , correct, but he has proven experience of taking a club adrift in a relegation zone and saving them.

Just grow a pair and be honest - there is no logical reason you don't want Campbell, you just don't like him

OMG how is League 2 level not League 1 level (other than the obvious). Its lower league level, and besides we are currently performing like a national league side (on a good day)

If you filter managerial candidates to those that have had success at League one level, you pretty much will have zero left.

Campbell is my favourite out the names floating about (but I could get swept away with excitement if it were Barrett).

Campbell was one of the best defenders this country has produced in the last few decades. He would command respect from players and wouldn't entertain any bad apples or egos (ironic... as he does have one... but he's more entitled to one than any of our under-performers) and he worked the kind of miracle at Macclesfield that we need at our club.

It seems to me that anybody that is dead set against his appointment, yet knows the above, would rather see us plummet to satisfy their hatred of the man.

Campbell is my favourite out the names floating about (but I could get swept away with excitement if it were Barrett).

Campbell was one of the best defenders this country has produced in the last few decades. He would command respect from players and wouldn't entertain any bad apples or egos (ironic... as he does have one... but he's more entitled to one than any of our under-performers) and he worked the kind of miracle at Macclesfield that we need at our club.

It seems to me that anybody that is dead set against his appointment, yet knows the above, would rather see us plummet to satisfy their hatred of the man.

So was AB!

Back