• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ron speaks- appointment expected this week.

I wish people would stop moaning about the time taken and then it goes to an internal appointment. It was right that Ron looked at all the potential candidates...even if it does go to Fagan. No businessman would just look at the internal appointment if there were even better options out there. If Craig gets it...he will have been the best of a lot of options. That's good for the club. Whoever we get...it will have been done as thoroughly as Ron wants...now we simply wait for the announcement...and move on to get back into League 1. We've done it before...we will do it again (preferably automatically).

Anybody but Brown.
Would have Brown back at least he has the experience at this level and we know he can organise a solid defence and midfield.Some of the suggested inexperienced names are pure gambles which we simply cannot afford in the current state we're in .A Brown /Fagan combo would probably work..........puts on tin helmet

I wish people would stop moaning about the time taken and then it goes to an internal appointment. It was right that Ron looked at all the potential candidates...even if it does go to Fagan. No businessman would just look at the internal appointment if there were even better options out there. If Craig gets it...he will have been the best of a lot of options. That's good for the club. Whoever we get...it will have been done as thoroughly as Ron wants...now we simply wait for the announcement...and move on to get back into League 1. We've done it before...we will do it again (preferably automatically).

The issue is that whilst all of the candidates are relatively similar, Fagan was the closest match to all of Ron’s criteria. He was and is, the best option (on paper at least).

The frustrating part for myself and others, is that it was/has been so glaringly obvious for a long time, and although I understand Ron’s desire to be diligent, the unnecessary delay has undoubtedly hindered us.

The issue is that whilst all of the candidates are relatively similar, Fagan was the closest match to all of Ron’s criteria. He was and is, the best option (on paper at least).

The frustrating part for myself and others, is that it was/has been so glaringly obvious for a long time, and although I understand Ron’s desire to be diligent, the unnecessary delay has undoubtedly hindered us.

what is the reason it’sundoubtedly hindered us?

Would have Brown back at least he has the experience at this level and we know he can organise a solid defence and midfield.Some of the suggested inexperienced names are pure gambles which we simply cannot afford in the current state we're in .A Brown /Fagan combo would probably work..........puts on tin helmet
Would be very happy to have Brown in some sort of part-time role mentoring Fagan if the latter were to get the job.

I would agree with you had the players not gone back to training with Fagan running the sessions. If he wanted Fagan all along he should’ve announced it before they returned. He’s had plenty of time! Plus if it’s not Fagan it’s a bit of a **** you to him having to take the team for the start of training to then step aside because he is deemed not good enough.

It’s an opinion, you don’t have to agree with it, it’s hardly moaning.

Don’t think Fagan would want that.
You might be right - but given that he is quite short on coaching experience let alone management experience, an old head with bags of both at a higher level would be useful to call on.

I imagine the extremely hot weather is making the carrier pigeon's trip worse than usual, probably stopped off to take on additonal fluids
I think you are being very unfair to the good folk of Dorset, they are not living in the Dark Ages. I know for a fact that the Mail coach visits Weymouth twice a week, it's just that in this hot weather the journey takes longer as they have to change horses more frequently.

I think you are being very unfair to the good folk of Dorset, they are not living in the Dark Ages. I know for a fact that the Mail coach visits Weymouth twice a week, it's just that in this hot weather the journey takes longer as they have to change horses more frequently.
Perhaps Ron’s last three appointments have made him indecisive and now he is not sure.

what is the reason it’sundoubtedly hindered us?

If we’d had a manager in place weeks ago, he’d have had plenty of time to prepare schedules, training plans, individual player programmes & of course, look at recruitment. Just as most other clubs have done.

We also resumed training much later than what would have been ideal, and I believe a competent manager would have had us back in a lot sooner. Unfortunately, we are at least two weeks behind our competition (so don’t be surprised when our players are blowing out of their arses after 60 minutes, whilst the opposition pass the ball around like Barcelona)

We are still at least 1-2 weeks away from actual contact training & we still don’t even have a single pre-season friendly lined up ?

Sadly, with only 36 days until the new season, the new man has been left with a very short space of time to deal with the mountain of work in front of him.

The long and short of it is this; when we’re scrapping at the bottom end of Lg2 in a few months time, and the inquiry begins as to why we’re in that situation, you needn’t look much further than the reasons I’ve given above, for the answer.

We also resumed training much later than what would have been ideal, and I believe a competent manager would have had us back in a lot sooner.
Isn't it usual for 5-6 weeks before first league match to be the start of pre-season, and for the first week of that not to be contact?

Isn't it usual for 5-6 weeks before first league match to be the start of pre-season, and for the first week of that not to be contact?

Yes. However it’s not normal for the off-season to be 5-months long.

That’s why most other clubs went back into training weeks ago, with a mindset of doing a 7-8 week pre-season.

Now, the way to look at it is this; Either all of those clubs have made a wrong move, or we have....

Yes. However it’s not normal for the off-season to be 5-months long.

That’s why most other clubs went back into training weeks ago, with a mindset of doing a 7-8 week pre-season.

Now, the way to look at it is this; Either all of those clubs have made a wrong move, or we have....
That's fair enough, we might need slightly longer than normal (though you would hope players have not spent the summer out on the lash given COVID), however with the other clubs in L1 and L2 I keep an eye on, most of them have reported back at some point last week - and there are a few who are still on break. Plymouth are the only ones I can remember reporting back a week earlier but I'm happy to hear more.

Pre season for most clubs ‘normally’ would be 6-7 weeks with the first 2/3 days made up of fitness, speed and weight testing.

Most clubs will then have a friendly lined up within 7 days of physical training starting even if only for 45 mins each for 22 players. Often within a training camp.

All this is after a maximum 6-8 weeks off.

We haven’t kicked a football for 6 months!!!! Fitness is one thing but even those that kept fit will have had to build up new muscle for changes of direction and football movements to avoid real risk of soft tissue injury....we’ve had enough of those!

However due to Covid restrictions you have to pass through phase 1 before you can have any contact training so down to our late start back, even our 6 week pre season is actually cut down to 3 weeks before we can play a friendly or have training games.

By the time we kick off the Caraboa cup on 5th Sept the players will have had 21 days to squeeze in friendly staff and build up football fitness

Reactions: GBJ
You might be right - but given that he is quite short on coaching experience let alone management experience, an old head with bags of both at a higher level would be useful to call on.
Erm he getting Colin Calderwood in as number 2, as he have tons of experience ?

If we’d had a manager in place weeks ago, he’d have had plenty of time to prepare schedules, training plans, individual player programmes & of course, look at recruitment. Just as most other clubs have done.

We also resumed training much later than what would have been ideal, and I believe a competent manager would have had us back in a lot sooner. Unfortunately, we are at least two weeks behind our competition (so don’t be surprised when our players are blowing out of their arses after 60 minutes, whilst the opposition pass the ball around like Barcelona)

We are still at least 1-2 weeks away from actual contact training & we still don’t even have a single pre-season friendly lined up ?

Sadly, with only 36 days until the new season, the new man has been left with a very short space of time to deal with the mountain of work in front of him.

The long and short of it is this; when we’re scrapping at the bottom end of Lg2 in a few months time, and the inquiry begins as to why we’re in that situation, you needn’t look much further than the reasons I’ve given above, for the answer.

Whilst that may all be true a drawn out appointment process gives any manager applying for the vacancy that much more time to prepare schedules, training plans, individual player programmes and of course recruitment. They should be much better prepared than most new managers will be.

Back