• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ron speaks- appointment expected this week.

I've heard Dieng wants out, which isnt dreadful, also Oxley could be on his way, again I would be quite happy with that as I imagine he's on a very good wage for a very average keeper.
I think that's a bit harsh on Oxley tbh given he was our player of the season not that long ago, but I also think he would easily get a starting position at a L1 club so fair play to him if he does want out. Dieng I would like to keep for his versatility and for his aerial ability which we lack in the side and I doubt clubs will be queuing up for him either.

I noticed that Oldham sacked their manager on Friday and appointed Harry Kewell on Saturday, that's more like how long it should take to appoint a manager. Not that I would have been particularly happy to have ended up with Kewell. ?
He should have at least had the new manager in place for start of training.

Reactions: GBJ
I think that's a bit harsh on Oxley tbh given he was our player of the season not that long ago, but I also think he would easily get a starting position at a L1 club so fair play to him if he does want out. Dieng I would like to keep for his versatility and for his aerial ability which we lack in the side and I doubt clubs will be queuing up for him either.
I think he has had 2 pretty poor seasons, he makes some saves as you would expect but he is always glued to his line. He is also on very good money which in my opinion he doesn't warrant. The keyword there is my opinion, so we will have to agree to disagree. ?

Reactions: GBJ
As frustrating as the delay is and as damaging as it is in the short term this is an appointment that we need to get right.

That said, Ron took his time with the appointments of Bond and Campbell and he didn't get them right. He better get it right this time.

With regard to some of our under-contract players, I would imagine the club would allow them to move on for nothing because their wages are unsustainable. Oxley and Demetriou probably the biggest earners now and Demetriou is not going to be able to play a full part this season - he still struggles with the injury he had last season and won't be able to play Saturday-Tuesday too often.

So it would make sense for everyone concerned if they were allowed to leave for nothing, should other clubs be interested.

With regard to some of our under-contract players, I would imagine the club would allow them to move on for nothing because their wages are unsustainable. Oxley and Demetriou probably the biggest earners now and Demetriou is not going to be able to play a full part this season - he still struggles with the injury he had last season and won't be able to play Saturday-Tuesday too often.

So it would make sense for everyone concerned if they were allowed to leave for nothing, should other clubs be interested.
A fee or otherwise is neither here nor there in most cases (maybe Oxley would command something even now). Its wages and them wanting to move. And the subsidising their wages/ payoff route is very unattractive.

Example player with 1 year to go is on £4k a week. Wants to stay.
We offer him a free. No-one else will offer the £4k- best is £2k. So we offer to pay the £2k...
We then need a replacement. So we sign someone for say £1.5k.

Effectively we spend £3.5k swaping a £4k player for a £1.5k player.

Demetriou is decent L1 player and Cyprus international- I would play him defensive midfield but he can play RM or RB. For the sake of saving £0.5k a week in this scenario I would keep him. And this is the difficult equation that will currently apply to a few players we would "let go".

A fee or otherwise is neither here nor there in most cases (maybe Oxley would command something even now). Its wages and them wanting to move. And the subsidising their wages/ payoff route is very unattractive.

Example player with 1 year to go is on £4k a week. Wants to stay.
We offer him a free. No-one else will offer the £4k- best is £2k. So we offer to pay the £2k...
We then need a replacement. So we sign someone for say £1.5k.

Effectively we spend £3.5k swaping a £4k player for a £1.5k player.

Demetriou is decent L1 player and Cyprus international- I would play him defensive midfield but he can play RM or RB. For the sake of saving £0.5k a week in this scenario I would keep him. And this is the difficult equation that will currently apply to a few players we would "let go".

True, but a 1.5k player who plays week in week out and contributes is far more attractive, even at a total cost of 3.5k, than a 4k player who isn’t playing due to injuries etc. We’ve had far too many of those in recent years and would be better off saving 500 quid a week and getting a proper first XI player in to help our league campaign.

A tale for those saying about the need for someone from outside. Essex (cricket) had Paul Grayson as head coach. And we sucked. A team of worse underachievers you would not find. He left, and we were all desperate for a new broom, outside view, fresh perspective. Instead they gave it to his assistant manager. Next season we won promotion, season after that we won the title unbeaten. I'm not saying it needs to be Fagan, just that an internal candidate can provide the new broom effect.

Paul Grayson had an arrogant side with players much like our last manager, hence why we were so bad at Chelmsford, once gone the team spirit came back to the cricket team
Ron has to make sure everyone is on board and youngsters like Hutchinson will need an arm around them when chips are down, don’t think he is the best quality we have but can be useful. A lot of the youngsters are way ahead but we need every resource we can muster and new manager needs to be able to communicate at all levels

True, but a 1.5k player who plays week in week out and contributes is far more attractive, even at a total cost of 3.5k, than a 4k player who isn’t playing due to injuries etc. We’ve had far too many of those in recent years and would be better off saving 500 quid a week and getting a proper first XI player in to help our league campaign.
Your assumption being in Demetriou's case he wouldn't be fit to play on a fairly frequent basis. Not sure that is quite the case- he was playing regularly at the end under Sol. Could he play every week no- could he play 30+ games in a season then I think yes. But forget him- the point more generally stands. You could easily end up with a lot less quality in the squad and actually save nothing near the "imaginings".

Your assumption being in Demetriou's case he wouldn't be fit to play on a fairly frequent basis. Not sure that is quite the case- he was playing regularly at the end under Sol. Could he play every week no- could he play 30+ games in a season then I think yes. But forget him- the point more generally stands. You could easily end up with a lot less quality in the squad and actually save nothing near the "imaginings".

Not an assumption @kentblues just stating the risk (all too often realised at our club). Of an expensive crock. That is less attractive than subbing the wages of said crock to replace them with someone else. If the medical staff view was that this risk was substantial, I’d personally go for the replacement option. Quality in the squad is no use unless you can get it on the pitch.

As mentioned higher up on this page, if we could offload Oxley that would be brilliant. We could get another keeper in at a quarter (if not more) of his wage and the replacement could arguably be better. I literally cannot believe the money we pay him for a bang average keeper at best. Proof that our business plan and salary model is a joke.

Oxley strikes me as a person who'd be quite happy to sit back and earn the money though, who can blame him I guess.

How has a Sky Sports Journalist got this about Calderwood before CP?

Wonder how Fagan has selected Calderwood? Looking at their respective past clubs their paths won't have crossed too often.

Back