• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Ron speaks

I don't know anything for sure but from various rumours I have heard it seem like they may not have been contentious per se but there may have been a divide. Is it possible that CP looked at 2 small groups of players that didn't get on and made a decision, which judging by the last two seasons could have been a wrong one?

This is purely speculation BTW. Things that make me think it is a possibility are:

- Rumours on here of players Cox doesn't like from Rigsby, particularly the part about him disliking Ranger. I know that Wordsworth, Timlin and Theo were all pals with Ranger and all have been farmed out. (Theo on loans)

- Have also heard Rumours that McLaughlin and Cox are close. Perhaps at the time CP thought these 2 players were worth more to the team than Wordsworth (who had a bad injury record) and Timlin (who's best years were behind him).

- Also it is common knowledge that Timlin was very much a Phil Brown man and was called the managers pet. If rumours of the player power that saw the end of Brown are true then it is a big possibility there was friction between the anti Brown players and Timlin.

CP's decision may have been influenced by who he could offload as well and maybe it was simply down to having 2 factions in the squad and one had a couple of players who were out of contract so it was an easy option?

Mostly speculation based on rumours so this may have no legs whatsoever

Ranger and Theo were together yesterday according to IG,

Timlin was on borrowed time because he couldn't keep his fists in his pockets.....So Ron isn't being straight with that one.

Wordsworth sulked and couldn't be bothered during his very last game because he was put out on the left. At the time Dru was everyone's first choice as CM but his long term set back happened in that last game. None of us knew that was the start of the injury curse that still continues.

Timlin and Wordsworth only have themselves to blame even though for very different reasons. No one was to upset at the time so lets not change history now.

Last edited:
I've been critical of Ron's recent statements (particularly the one in the middle of the chaos of appointing a new manager joking about Rod Stewart, Trump and Boris), but I quite liked this one. Was honest and fair.

Timlin was on borrowed time because he couldn't keep his fists in his pockets.....So Ron isn't being straight with that one.

Wordsworth sulked and couldn't be bothered during his very last game because he was put out on the left. At the time Dru was everyone's first choice as CM but he his long term set back happened in that last game. None of us knew that was the start of the injury curse that still continues.

Timlin and Wordsworth only have themselves to blame even though for very different reasons. No one was to upset at the time so lets not change history now.
They had to go .... absolutely. But since that clear out there seems to have been a continued ... shall we say, lax attitude as far as training and discipline is concerned, as Sol is finding out.

Whilst everyone is focusing on Timlin and Wordsworth (no doubt helped by their scraps with the law) the players released by Powell also include Josh Wright, Anton Ferdinand, Jermaine McGlashan and Marco Antonio Fortune.

All these players were past their prime and on their way down.

Josh Wright went to Bradford, where he was made captain, but lost the captaincy and his place in the team and Bradford were relegated. He made 15 league starts for them, of which they won just two. They released him this summer.
Jermaine McGlashan went to L2 Swindon on a 2 year deal. He's made 12 starts for them and a further 12 sub appearances. They won 2 of his first 3 matches but only one further game he started. He's since been loaned out to two non-league sides and Swindon are clearly regretting that contract.
Anton Ferdinand went to St Mirren. He made 18 appearances of which they one just one. He was released in the summer.
Michael Timlin dropped down to L2. He actually made 40 league starts for L2 Stevenage, who finished just below Col Ewe in midtable, but he was released in the summer (although they subsequently re-signed him as a free agent after the transfer window had closed).
Marco Antonio Fortune dropped down to the Conference. He made 19 starts and a further 9 from the bench. After winning in his first 3 appearances they only won a further 3 of the other 25 games he appeared in. He was released in the summer.
Anthony Wordsworth is the only one to stay at this level. He's made 34 league starts in 18 months for struggling Wimbledon. He's scored 3 league goals for them in those 18 months - that's fewer than the likes of Mantom and Dieng, neither of whom are known for their goalscoring. He also has 3 assists in those 18 months - that's how many Mantom has this season despite missing most of it with injury.

Timlin could have maybe done a job as a squad player but the only one Powell released we should be regretting is Ladapo.

The biggest issue we had was the lack of depth behind these guys ready and waiting to step up. There had been virtually no players signed with a view to the future and youngsters from the academy had been deprived of the first team experience they needed. That was negligent and it was always going to end up biting us. How long it'll take us to recover remains to be seen. We can't afford any more mistakes like Bond.

Why will Hreidarsson cost more?

Andy Cole is part-time, which will keep his cost down

Both were at Macclesfield with Sol.

Tony Colbert left Arsenal in May 2018. I have no idea what he'd been up to since then (maybe private training?).

Of course I can't give or know the breakdown but both an here and indeed from the statements by Ron the financials were an issue with getting Sol and team on board. I guess that my point rather than the speculation on how that is made up.

Chris Powell thought he could walk on water here and took the **** based purely on his reputation

Kevin Bond didn’t start the fire but poured petrol on it with abysmal recruitment

And here we are
As to CP, you know this how?
I'm going to bet a gold pig you'll round back saying of course I support him.
But do you seriously think any manager on his return thinks their reputation is enough?
Sol tried and got rejected everywhere he went until Macclesfield took a punt: so much for playing legacy!
Solskjaer is discovering what his reputation counts for, and there are plenty of others whose playing days didn't make the jump to management.
The one thing I would agree with was the summer recruitment. It was hopeless from first to last.

More crud from the man of a thousand hair styles yawnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!
Do you think so?
Show me other chairs willing to put it out there as they see it?
The 'crud' part is because you don't believe it, right?
In which case, Swiss, tell me the truth, please?

As to CP, you know this how?
I'm going to bet a gold pig you'll round back saying of course I support him.
But do you seriously think any manager on his return thinks their reputation is enough?
Sol tried and got rejected everywhere he went until Macclesfield took a punt: so much for playing legacy!
Solskjaer is discovering what his reputation counts for, and there are plenty of others whose playing days didn't make the jump to management.
The one thing I would agree with was the summer recruitment. It was hopeless from first to last.

Why where the players never training then? Ridiculous amount of days off, especially after a defeat

That work ethic, or lack of, is now left in the squad he assembled. This is Powell’s legacy

Why where the players never training then? Ridiculous amount of days off, especially after a defeat

That work ethic, or lack of, is now left in the squad he assembled. This is Powell’s legacy

'Why were (I think you mean) the players NEVER training'? You're kidding of course.
Of the players he brought in permanently, there are plenty who would argue Humphrys, Hopper and latterly, Dieng, have done OK when fit, with Barratt and Hyam suffering injury after injury. That leaves Mantom and Lennon as duds.
Stockdale and Taylor Moore were CP loans, with McCoulsky, Bunn and Hart never really cutting it.
So that's five players in total that performed poorly. It's hardly a squad!
I think I'll let you believe what you want...

Do you think so?
Show me other chairs willing to put it out there as they see it?
The 'crud' part is because you don't believe it, right?
In which case, Swiss, tell me the truth, please?

Empirical evidence accumulated over 20 years strongly suggests that when Ron Martin says something is going to happen, there is a strong possibility (some might say probability) that it won't.

'Why were (I think you mean) the players NEVER training'? You're kidding of course.
Of the players he brought in permanently, there are plenty who would argue Humphrys, Hopper and latterly, Dieng, have done OK when fit, with Barratt and Hyam suffering injury after injury. That leaves Mantom and Lennon as duds.
Stockdale and Taylor Moore were CP loans, with McCoulsky, Bunn and Hart never really cutting it.
So that's five players in total that performed poorly
. It's hardly a squad!

I thought Hart did OK for us.I'd have him back in a heartbeat.

Empirical evidence accumulated over 20 years strongly suggests that when Ron Martin says something is going to happen, there is a strong possibility (some might say probability) that it won't.
Are we talking plans for the stadium or his thoughts on the changing management/squad?

OK, so that's four: all the more reason to cast suspicion on the original claim that CP assembled a poor squad.
It was a squad with little discipline that wasn’t worked hard enough and kept on their toes. This was continued by Bond. Hence the reason we are sitting on 5 points at the end of November. You’re surely not just blaming Bond for this shambles?? I liked Powell, but he was too soft .. it seems. Too many players have had an easy ride at SUFC in the last 2 years.

So that's five players in total that performed poorly. It's hardly a squad!

I assume you know where your mate was the Monday after the Peterborough game? Day off

It was a squad with little discipline that wasn’t worked hard enough and kept on their toes. This was continued by Bond. Hence the reason we are sitting on 5 points at the end of November. You’re surely not just blaming Bond for this shambles?? I liked Powell, but he was too soft .. it seems. Too many players have had an easy ride at SUFC in the last 2 years.
I think we're talking two different things.
The squad he assembled and whether he worked them hard enough.
I was commenting on the squad, and have no idea what went on at Boots & Laces up to March 26 when CP was sacked.

Back