• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Ron speaks

If you're right, and why not? What does it say about the squad and its care and concern for Southend United?
David Webb once told me: 'If you can't recruit from within the M25 - forget it. The rest could care less'.
Yes, players only train half a day: but how long are you in the gym?
After training, Franco Zola then used to spend one maybe two hours perfecting free-kicks all on his own at the Chelsea training ground.
That's why he was a playing star, and maybe why a lot of Lge 1/2 players are what they are.
I despise their attitude of 'getting away with it' - and there's plenty of them.

It's not how long I am at the gym (I'm not, never have been, not about to start at nearly 60!) - it's about how long I am AT WORK. This is their job, which they get paid very well for.

I remember Dougie Freedman, and watching him at the training ground a few times when we were over there with Junior Blues stuff preparations. He had a fantastic start with us, then got injured, tried to come back too soon, and ended up worse off. But, he would be there on the side with hurdles and other things, working hard. I remember seeing Adam Thompson similarly when he had that bad injury, working hard at the club, where he didn't actually need to be. If you have the self discipline to work at it, then you will be a success

Have you ever managed a junior side? It's worse than coping with adults!
'What we got served up on a Saturday' (or midweek)? Are we talking his first half season, or the second until March 26?
What do you think the tactics were, and what should they have been?
I do manage a junior side

It's not how long I am at the gym (I'm not, never have been, not about to start at nearly 60!) - it's about how long I am AT WORK. This is their job, which they get paid very well for.

I remember Dougie Freedman, and watching him at the training ground a few times when we were over there with Junior Blues stuff preparations. He had a fantastic start with us, then got injured, tried to come back too soon, and ended up worse off. But, he would be there on the side with hurdles and other things, working hard. I remember seeing Adam Thompson similarly when he had that bad injury, working hard at the club, where he didn't actually need to be. If you have the self discipline to work at it, then you will be a success

It does happen OBL.....this was tweeted by CP last week

Not sure where the other forwards were though.....

And it’s a shame that half the replies to the tweet were mocking....

The point I was trying to make is their job is not 9-5.
There's only so much physical work one can do, but the injured usually follow a special rehab plan, and I'm willing to bet that's what you witnessed.
As you say, Freeman's overload worked against him. Physical work is only half the battle.
By the way, are you saying the gym is not for 60yr-olds?

I think it's worth bearing in mind that training is not all about being physically fit.

It's about working on things that need to be implemented on the pitch on a matchday.

Under PB and SCP up to a point, our set-plays were poor. Defending them we constantly conceded and when we were in an attacking position our delivery was poor. This was when we had a reasonably successful side.

Oppositions, however, seemed to get their delivery right a lot more often and cause us a lot more issues than we caused them.

Just minor things in a decent side, but it can make the difference between winning and losing.

Another complaint is our lack of shots that test the keeper. These are all things that need practise, but often with extra work on the training ground.

The point I was trying to make is their job is not 9-5.
There's only so much physical work one can do, but the injured usually follow a special rehab plan, and I'm willing to bet that's what you witnessed.
As you say, Freeman's overload worked against him. Physical work is only half the battle.

A good mate of mine (down in Bath) goes to the gym every day.He's the same age as me (68) and is frighteningly fit!

It does happen OBL.....this was tweeted by CP last week

Not sure where the other forwards were though.....

And it’s a shame that half the replies to the tweet were mocking....

No, it's not the same - this says Isaac was sent out, in my instances, they were doing it off their own back.

Not for starting out!

No, it's not the same - this says Isaac was sent out, in my instances, they were doing it off their own back.

It doesn’t say that at all.....it says he’s been out on his own working on his finishing for quite some time.

No mention at all of being sent out ???

I'm 62, still go running & lift weights 4 times per week, like to think i am as well!.
Good for you, with an arthritic knee, damaged spine and all the other crap that comes with age plus working longer hours now than I ever have done, I don't have the time or energy for the gym! I'd love to be able to go swimming a couple of times a week, as it's the best thing for my knee, but I just don't have the energy for it at the times where I might be able to do so - how do people do it?!

Sorry, looked at that quickly and thought it said sent out. Good for Isaac.

Hutchinson should be the first name on the team sheet for me. He was the only positive against Oxford IMO, and seems to be on an upward curve performance wise. I'm pleased to hear he's working hard on his finishing, I have to ask why others aren't doing likewise. :Sad:

Last edited:
Hutchinson should be the first name on the team sheet for me. He was the only positive against Oxford IMO, and seems to be on an upward curve performance wise. I'm pleased to hear he's working hard on his finishing, I have to ask why others aren't doing likewise. :Sad:
I agree. For 10/15 minutes when he came on against Oxford we looked decent and could even possibly have got back in the match.
He looked comfortable on the ball, was looking to go forward and his decision making is improving as the season goes on.
A welcome silver lining in an awful season so far.

Good for you, with an arthritic knee, damaged spine and all the other crap that comes with age plus working longer hours now than I ever have done, I don't have the time or energy for the gym! I'd love to be able to go swimming a couple of times a week, as it's the best thing for my knee, but I just don't have the energy for it at the times where I might be able to do so - how do people do it?!
Me, Sir, me, Sir!!! I know!
They go and dip their toe in the water and swim for five minutes once a week.
Then, they go the following week and do it for 10 minutes.
It being a Sunday, I'm in the online pulpit, lol! But exercise that includes stretching helps the brain cells, releases endorphins of well-being, and therefore makes you feel better all round.
Getting out of the chair and walking towards the door are the first steps, and that's the trick: the task should not seem difficult.
Saying you can't do that is just an excuse.

Yes because I watched what got served up on a Saturday, you know, what you train for and we were ****. Tactically absolutely clueless

Nice fella maybe but I wouldn’t want him managing under 10’s
That's not true at all. The problem was that due to the every increasing crippling injuries the squad suffered, he struggled to get his tactics across to the lesser players. Partly his fault but a very tough thing to do. He was very hands-on with the players and drilled them to be in certain places at certain times and how to deal with various situations.

People bang on about the 'bounce' when he became manager but it's a tad unfair; the win against Wigan for instance was no fluke. He created a game plan during the week and the players executed it perfectly.

For what it's worth, sacking him was the right decision as he looked mentally exhausted by the end; but while you may disagree with the tactics, no way was he clueless.

Back