• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Ron speaks

Chris Powell thought he could walk on water here and took the **** based purely on his reputation

Kevin Bond didn’t start the fire but poured petrol on it with abysmal recruitment

And here we are

If only he would sell to one of the billionaires queueing up to buy the club.

There aren't many billionaires queueing up to buy 99% of other clubs either but they continue to run a profesional football club. I fully appreciate that RM has backed this club over the years but it is all in the long term goal of the FF development, he's not in it for the love of the club.

He's never going to let anything get in the way of the development (other than having no cash of course). There has been no focus on the way this club is set up and run for years and years now, we are reaping what we have sown. How long have we been without key roles in the club like the CEO position? Too long

Zero tolerance for misbehaviour sounds like Lennon is gone. Reckon several senior players will be leaving too, Oxley, Milligan, Demi, Hyam, poss Cox ?

Last edited:
Who were the contentious / factious players CP got rid of? Wordsworth maybe? I heard good things about his character, but he’s a character. Timlin perhaps?

CP clearly didn’t get rid of all the “contentious characters” and what he clearly didn’t do was instil a regime where slackers were punished. That was allowed to continue under Bond. Very interested to see what develops now. Think Sol 100% has Ron’s backing ..

Blimey, our cricket ground is in Rawreth Lane!

Will I get a decent return on my donation towards the ground?

Jokes aside if Ron sold up to someone who has no real interest in football or our town. By that I mean just the sort of owner that so many fans dream of. Then surely down near the A127 and the Carpenters Arms would be a potential choice. Main roads and the Liverpool street line all close at hand.

Yep, spot on.

Reminds me of the old Jobson days on moving to Basildon. I guess, at least with Rayleigh, it's not quite so far from Southend.

I am pleased with this statement. Sol has clearly seen who he does not want on the team bus and has passed he's thoughts onto Ron.

We the fans, Ron and all the backers of this club deserve better. If it means getting rid of senior players for the sake of SUFC, so be it. If nothing changes we could easily find ourselves in the conference.

When Ron mentions “contentious individuals”, I’m assuming he’s talking about Wordsworth, and Timlin?

Wordy, from what I understand, was very close to a few members of the current squad, which might possibly go some way to explaining some of the attitudes that have developed here at Roots Hall?

Also, six players in Jan? Where does Martin keep finding the money from?

Although I will give him some credit, I found it refreshingly honest for him to basically admit what we’ve suspected for the longest time, that some of the current squad don’t want to be here, and they will be dealt with accordingly.

When Ron mentions “contentious individuals”, I’m assuming he’s talking about Wordsworth, and Timlin?

Wordy, from what I understand, was very close to a few members of the current squad, which might possibly go some way to explaining some of the attitudes that have developed here at Roots Hall?

Also, six players in Jan? Where does Martin keep finding the money from?

Although I will give him some credit, I found it refreshingly honest for him to basically admit what we’ve suspected for the longest time, that some of the current squad don’t want to be here, and they will be dealt with accordingly.

Yes, the other released was MAF who I doubt was contentious - just kept himself fitter than some of the others though.

The six signings need to be players who can get us out of league 2 not crappy loanees from prem clubs like ndukwu and Hamilton.

The six signings need to be players who can get us out of league 2 not crappy loanees from prem clubs like ndukwu and Hamilton.
Agreed, but how likely is that in January? Not very. It’s even more unlikely when you take into account we are probably one of the least attractive teams to sign for in the Football League, and will have next to no room in the budget for permanent signings (it’s not like we’ll be able to offload any deadwood off the wage bill without paying them of).

Unfortunately the 6 signings Ron is talking about are almost certain to be Prem/Championship loanees that nobody else wants.

So, to avoid the Echo and it’s pop up ads; Ron basically said this;

Supporters would argue they are really fed up. There is no doubt that must be true, I am equally “fed up”.

We are in this together but we can help each other to get out of it too.
The negativity has been affecting the club long before Kevin Bond’s reign.

Chris Powell stepped in because Phil Brown lost the dressing room, factions when players are needing to pull together is a recipe for disaster.

It was this that caused Phil his job.

When Chris came in he released the arguably contentious individuals, some might say “characters”.

A football club needs characters on the pitch.

There is no doubt during Chris’ time we were hugely unlucky with injuries, but maybe fitness played its part too.

Decisions on recruitment is always, certainly in the lower leagues, the responsibility of the manager and his staff.

A chairman or CEO could not force a player on the manager, they must be his players.
In recruiting players a chairman either backs the manager or sacks him.

I backed both Chris and Kevin.

Do I regret that? With some yes I do.

I supported Chris Powell and Kevin Bond with the best intentions but now we will make changes.

Sol talks about the regime at the training ground having become “loose”.

That does not happen overnight but creeps in over time and right now we can nip it in the bud.

Your club will not put up with sloppiness or uncaring players.

There are many in this squad who care passionately about winning, as the supporters do, and I do.

A group of individuals who, like me, will not accept failure.

Together we will do whatever it takes to get “The Blues” out of this mire.

We are already “on it”.

Sol and I agree we probably need six new players in January to turn the tide and help those current players, who do care, to succeed too.

Sol is both widely respected and connected to recruit what we need.

In between does not mean for one minute we will not continue to give our all, on and off the pitch, and I am grateful for the fans continued support, brilliant as always despite the horrors.
Please stay with it for only together we can make a difference.

I cannot promise an immediate return to success but I might die trying!

Finally off the pitch the council are doing their best also.

People are critical but they should not be. There is a great deal of progress being made but we cannot make announcements whilst matters remain confidential.

As with the club's supporters we too have to work together and we are.
This club and town must fight to succeed as one.

I will never give up on our supporters and supporters must never give up on their club.

Back