• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Ron speaks

I go to most Sat home games and it would probably be easier to have a season ticket. But I have always bought tickets for individual games. One of the reasons being my logic is that if you have a permanent seat and you are unlucky enough to get Mr Negative Know-It-All sat near you, you are then sentenced to a season of irritation. This way I get to move if there is somewhere to avoid, and if I have a different seat each week there are different people to chat to. Got it badly wrong on Sat so I have a note of a seating area to avoid :-)

Last edited:
To be fair, West Block U, is generally very supportive, massively frustrated ….like the other bits of the ground.

Being adjacent to TBV keeps morale up ...:Clap:

No apology then for leaving the new manager appointment nearly 8 weeks. Suprised, no. Cant see Sol start putting a few wins together till February if his efforts work. When you think Sol could have had another 6 wks it makes you cry in frustration.

Spot on and totally agree @Leigh_Seasider .

I remember being away at Norwich and the bloke in front just hated Gary Jones. Moan, moan, moan. Then Jones scored the winner. Needless to say, he got it back with both barrels from many around him.

It actually made everyone's day.

We were unbeaten for about 7 games going into that Norwich game on Boxing day 1995. Not much to moan about!
The previous game we beat Port Vale at home and the crowd was only about 4,300.

We were unbeaten for about 7 games going into that Norwich game on Boxing day 1995. Not much to moan about!

Heady days of Panini stickers and the Anglo Italian Cup. I remember two good away days that season, Elm Park where we came back from 1-3 to equalise late on and a very rare win at Charlton. That was before things started to come crashing down, good old Whelan.

Indeed not, which emphasises my point.

I had a look back again at that season and yep, you are spot on. We were in a rich vein of form. I went to a number of matches that season away from home. Watford, Ipswich, Oldham, Grimsby, Norwich, Luton, West Brom, Huddersfield and the like.

I missed that Charlton game. Midweek IIRC?

[QUOTE="Sean, post: 2202805, member: 9722"]No apology then for leaving the new manager appointment nearly 8 weeks. Suprised, no. Cant see Sol start putting a few wins together till February if his efforts work. When you think Sol could have had another 6 wks it makes you cry in frustration.[/QUOTE]

In fairness the Larsson saga was still in full flow, and unless you are in the know, we donot know the situation.
Perhaps Ron thought the deal was tied up and then let down at last minute. I am no way saying Ron has not caused the problem, but you have to have a balance view and it seems the deal he wanted didn't materialise, hence Sol coming into the frame and putting himself in a strong position to get what he wanted both on and off the pitch

Last edited:
Indeed not, which emphasises my point.

I had a look back again at that season and yep, you are spot on. We were in a rich vein of form. I went to a number of matches that season away from home. Watford, Ipswich, Oldham, Grimsby, Norwich, Luton, West Brom, Huddersfield and the like.

I missed that Charlton game. Midweek IIRC?
It was a Tuesday night. Charlton sneaked into the play offs in the end.

Sol wasn't even second choice so it would obviously take time. When you bottom of L1 with a poor squad and 3 months before a transfer window. Then footballs best mangers just aren't interested.......Or blocked by their current club.

Sol wasn't even second choice so it would obviously take time. When you bottom of L1 with a poor squad and 3 months before a transfer window. Then footballs best mangers just aren't interested.......Or blocked by their current club.
we know 1st choice was Ron's man crush Henrik, but who was 2nd?

I go to most Sat home games and it would probably be easier to have a season ticket. But I have always bought tickets for individual games. One of the reasons being my logic is that if you have a permanent seat and you are unlucky enough to get Mr Negative Know-It-All sat near you, you are then sentenced to a season of irritation. This way I get to move if there is somewhere to avoid, and if I have a different seat each week there are different people to chat to. Got it badly wrong on Sat so I have a note of a seating area to avoid :-)
If that is really the only reason then you are allowed to move...I did it after a few games a few years back

Without also saying "in fairness" (verboten, understood and all that), the feedback we had in the 1,000+ page thread on management appointment was that Sol had interviewed but we couldn't afford him (and Ron stated he in the end had to do "financial gymnastics" to make it happen).

With Larsson you had him, a Swedish 2nd div manager (who would be on peanuts now) and Tommy Johnson (now of Blackpool obscurity). Not only have you Sol but Hreidarsson who willl cost more, Andy Cole and the Arsenals fitness guru. Be amazed if not a far more expensive team.

However, despite this challenge we got the right result in the end. If all options cost the same I suspect Sol would have been very much in the final shakedown.

If that is really the only reason then you are allowed to move...I did it after a few games a few years back

True I am sure, and if we get to a point where we are a sell out every week with season ticket holders in all the best seats then I will. Problem, of course, is that if this happens then moving potentially becomes more difficult. But point taken.

Not really sure why it wouldn't be the only reason unless you know something I don't :-) I haven't been banned from buying a season ticket as far as I know :-)

True I am sure, and if we get to a point where we are a sell out every week with season ticket holders in all the best seats then I will. Problem, of course, is that if this happens then moving potentially becomes more difficult. But point taken.

Not really sure why it wouldn't be the only reason unless you know something I don't :-) I haven't been banned from buying a season ticket as far as I know :-)
lol - yeah reading that back come across a bit weird - apologies!

Without also saying "in fairness" (verboten, understood and all that), the feedback we had in the 1,000+ page thread on management appointment was that Sol had interviewed but we couldn't afford him (and Ron stated he in the end had to do "financial gymnastics" to make it happen).

With Larsson you had him, a Swedish 2nd div manager (who would be on peanuts now) and Tommy Johnson (now of Blackpool obscurity). Not only have you Sol but Hreidarsson who willl cost more, Andy Cole and the Arsenals fitness guru. Be amazed if not a far more expensive team.

However, despite this challenge we got the right result in the end. If all options cost the same I suspect Sol would have been very much in the final shakedown.

Why will Hreidarsson cost more?

Andy Cole is part-time, which will keep his cost down

Both were at Macclesfield with Sol.

Tony Colbert left Arsenal in May 2018. I have no idea what he'd been up to since then (maybe private training?).

So it was Chris Powell who got rid of Timlin and Wordsworth as they were "contentious"?
Thanks a lot Chris.

I don't know anything for sure but from various rumours I have heard it seem like they may not have been contentious per se but there may have been a divide. Is it possible that CP looked at 2 small groups of players that didn't get on and made a decision, which judging by the last two seasons could have been a wrong one?

This is purely speculation BTW. Things that make me think it is a possibility are:

- Rumours on here of players Cox doesn't like from Rigsby, particularly the part about him disliking Ranger. I know that Wordsworth, Timlin and Theo were all pals with Ranger and all have been farmed out. (Theo on loans)

- Have also heard Rumours that McLaughlin and Cox are close. Perhaps at the time CP thought these 2 players were worth more to the team than Wordsworth (who had a bad injury record) and Timlin (who's best years were behind him).

- Also it is common knowledge that Timlin was very much a Phil Brown man and was called the managers pet. If rumours of the player power that saw the end of Brown are true then it is a big possibility there was friction between the anti Brown players and Timlin.

CP's decision may have been influenced by who he could offload as well and maybe it was simply down to having 2 factions in the squad and one had a couple of players who were out of contract so it was an easy option?

Mostly speculation based on rumours so this may have no legs whatsoever

Back