• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ron speaks

GBJ

⭐⭐
Staff member

AN update from Southend United chairman Ron Martin

We are all still “living for the weekend” … wondering when proper football will return.

This week the EFL board WILL meet with clubs to discuss a restart date and whether that might include some crowds.

A third or half full stadiums has been suggested and the club will update our supporters, via the web site, when we know more.

However if I were to hazard a guess I would think many clubs would favour mid-September with half crowds.

This of course remains subject to Covid-19 subsiding further.

Everybody will need to abide by the rules for their own, family and friends wellbeing. We want you all back at Roots Hall as soon as it is safe, so please take care.

As we learn more (hopefully over the next week) we’ll make an announcement about season tickets, both last year's and for the coming season.

What about the coming season ?

At least lockdown has given us all time to reflect.

That said, reflecting on last season makes me miserable.

I am determined to return success to our club. We have already made some changes, further changes will follow and frankly there needed to be change.

Southend United has a great culture and outstanding supporters who deserve more.
We all love to see our academy players come through and we continue to produce good talent.

Last season we witnessed many make their first team debut and we are signing another good crop.

It is important our talented young stars are supported by more experienced players and we will be strengthening the squad with that intention.

Relegation always sees players depart and this year is no different. There is a natural wastage (contracts ending) while others feel they should be playing in a higher league.

What ever the reason as chairman of your club I ONLY want players here who will give their ALL for the club.

Your club will demand commitment from every player and every employee.

Whether playing, coaching or managing … working at the Blues needs to be a religion.
Lockdown has been beneficial in that way as it has given me some time, away from Roots Hall, to think about the more immediate future, following relegation, of our club.

The council, too, are contributing by showing great focus in progressing the contract to deliver the club's medium term future.
But what about right now? If we restart, as some suggest, in September are we going to be ready to hit the ground running?
Southend United is a big club in League Two (so is Bolton!) and we need to maximise that advantage.

Most importantly making sure the players we are recruiting will “run through a brick wall for the manager”.Talent is one thing … mind set and commitment is something entirely different.
Talent alone will not deliver success.
Commitment starts at the top.

Having largely cleared the decks we now have until September to return the Blues culture.
“Living for the weekend” when we can once again support our religion … only on a Saturday!

Forgive my sermon.

Not by name, but I thought...

“Whether playing, coaching or managing … working at the Blues needs to be a religion.”

...might have been a little jab in the ribs to Sol.

I would’ve thought this could’ve been a prime opportunity to back his manager.

I would’ve thought this could’ve been a prime opportunity to back his manager.

Given the choice, I think Ron would happily part company, especially if Sol and his team are as expensive as we’re led to believe. But after the sackings of Brown, Powell and Bond, I dread to think how we could afford to.

Never had Ron down as a Hard-Fi fan...

I saw that more as a dig at the players not working hard enough even though they had all the talent to succeed. He is right that everyone needs to be pulling in the right direction. Let's hope if Sol is to stay then the umbargo is lifted and we can bring in the players he wants. Positive from the Dear Leader...

Some interesting points in there from Ron, who does his best to be as ambiguous as possible.

- Further changes will follow, and frankly there needed to be change

- Your club will demand commitment from every player and every employee.

- Run through a brick wall for the manager

- Commitment starts at the top

chairman ron now saying true things about our time wasting so called first team squad 6 months ago he said we had a good group and we would not go down . think for us supports who have had to witness the last couple of seasons wish thing had happened sooner lets hope as bad as league 2 might be we don`t have to witness games like doncaster & dover again .

The one worrying part of Ron’s statement that caught my eye, was him mentioning that we have until September to sort it out.

Ron, if you’re reading this - as we know you do - please, don’t leave it until September to start doing the ground work. For a change, it’d be nice to approach a pre-season with everything in place already.

That means, sort out who you want as management - still no public backing of Sol - and identify targets who are A) realistic & B) affordable.

Ron as always talks a good game in respect of strengthening the squad.... adding experience to help the youngsters out. Sadly we all know that won't happen. That said, for next season I am happy to settle on seeing our existing youngsters continue to develop and grow as a group. That journey on its own could be a very satisfying and rewarding one.

Ron knows what the score is, what discussions have been had, where Sol’s head is at, let’s just get it sorted quickly eh? Either back your manager or as GBJ says get a new man in quick, well before we kick off in L2. And make sure we can sign some players, whoever is in charge. Let’s not have another season of a manager having his hands tied and working in impossible conditions. That said, let’s have some buckling down and working together. Let’s have some combined commitment to the cause and no divisions - we’ve had enough of those I think!

Ron knows what the score is, what discussions have been had, where Sol’s head is at, let’s just get it sorted quickly eh?

Someone pointed out to me earlier, that as the players haven’t played or trained for several months, the players/manager may want/need an 8-week pre-season, instead of the usual 6-week one.

If we do plan on restarting the league on September 12th, that means we would realistically need to begin our pre-season in about 3 weeks time.

There’s still a question mark surrounding the management, we’ll inevitably lose several players, we have players still to re-sign contracts, and we will need probably 6 new signings minimum, although that could end up being 8.

Ron needs to get a grip of this quickly, or I fear for our Football League status.

Lots of talk about demands of players etc, reflections of what went badly and insinuation of lack of commitment yet no acknowledgement of court appearances, failing to pay players on time, PFA negativity and league sanctions.

Perhaps Ron might need a course on self-awareness?

If he has stuck by his comments years back we wouldn't be in the mess were in now .Who appointed Bond , who took time out last season on holiday,who then took weeks to appoint Sol ,who then promised the manager and fans new players and then went back on his word.Who then effectively had a fire sale and gave up......Sorry Ron you should be a politician as you could match them for hot air and broken promises

Back